Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,959 Times in 2,105 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: Big Ben: Godsend

Wednesday, September 26th, 2012
By Travis Boariu
Steelers Fever Columnist

Tampa, Florida. Super Bowl XLIII. February 1st, 2009. Arizona Cardinals 23, Pittsburgh Steelers 20. 2:30 seconds to go.....
-----------------------
"With the 11th pick of the 2004 NFL Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select, Ben Roethlisberger, quarterback, Miami of Ohio."

Godsend.

I remember the day the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted their young franchise quarterback with their 11th overall selection in the 2004 NFL Draft. It was odd to say the least. You see, Steelers fans came to the realization and delusion that mediocre quarterbacking was the Steeler-way. As long as we had a vicious defense, 'WEEEEE HAD A FEEEEEELING, PITTSBURGH'S GOIN' TO THE SUPER BOWL!....."

The Pittsburgh Steelers had many problems to address from the season prior. In 2003, the Steelers ended with an awful 6-10 record and missed the playoffs for the first time since 2000. Their defensive secondary was in absolute shambles. Horrid to say the least. Cornerback and the free safety position needed to be addressed immediately.

Year after year, we went as far as our defense could take us. It's the only thing we ever knew in the Steel City. After all, we did have (failed product) Tommy Maddox leading the way under center in the "run and shoot" offense. We didn't need a quarterback. Did we?
-----------------------

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1013.html

-------------------------

Another AWESOME editorial by Stainless Still!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: Big Ben: Godsend

I'll always be grateful to Cleveland for taking Kellen Winslow at #7. They thought Jeff Garcia was good enough.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,912 Times in 774 Posts

This article was very fun for me. I can't tell you the battle's I've had defending Ben over other teams fans and the creeps that they are. I have a blast with it simply because Roethlisberger is one of the most POTENT QB's in the league to face and he's ONLY getting better, which is the scariest thought of them all.

HERE WE GO!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Ben will only improve over the next two or three years, as long as he isn't making risky decisions. He's been sacked eight times, but not very many of those happened on the sidelines as a result of running out of the pocket for his life.

I think as long as he's protected, he'll be around for a long time still yet.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

3 of those 8 sacks came against Denver on that last drive when Bert, Ernie and Patrick from Sponge Bob Square pants were protecting him from Von Miller after Foster and Gilbert went out with injury.

Ben had a damn near perfect game against the Jets and Houdini'd it all around the field and he was only sacked once at Oakland,

If he keeps up with his outstanding decision making, he could very well be in the hunt for AFC player of the year or, who knows, MVP!
Old 09-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
3 of those 8 sacks came against Denver on that last drive when Bert, Ernie and Patrick from Sponge Bob Square pants were protecting him from Von Miller after Foster and Gilbert went out with injury.

Ben had a damn near perfect game against the Jets and Houdini'd it all around the field and he was only sacked once at Oakland,

If he keeps up with his outstanding decision making, he could very well be in the hunt for AFC player of the year or, who knows, MVP!
Thanks for that stat, definitely puts things in perspective. He's off to a GREAT year.

Old 09-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #7
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,430 Times in 9,901 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I thank Marty Schottenheimer.

I wanted BB... I wanted him bad. Eli & Rivers were not my druthers... at all. I went through every scenario, and I just did not see him getting to #11. Why not? If Eli went #1, then the NYGiants were absolutely going to take BB at #4.

And then... Eli said that he would not play in SD. Schottenheimer liked Rivers better anyway (he told EVERYONE, here in SD, before the draft). Thus, this opened the door for Marty to get his guy (Rivers)... leaving Eli for the NYGiants (they wanted Eli more than BB)... which would leave BB for the Steelers.

The Browns and the Texans never really scared me. It was the NYGiants that I feared would end up with BB.

Anyway... it worked out. I cheered... and predicted that BB would take the Steelers to six SuperBowls, winning five of them. Thus far, I am half way there.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #8
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
I'll always be grateful to Cleveland for taking Kellen Winslow at #7. They thought Jeff Garcia was good enough.
Jeff Garcia wasn't that bad of a QB. His problem was that he was already 50 years old and just got married to this babe. I would have been distracted plenty as well

lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,430 Times in 9,901 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
Jeff Garcia wasn't that bad of a QB. His problem was that he was already 50 years old and just got married to this babe. I would have been distracted plenty as well

I was going to say something... uh... about Garcia... but... uh... I forgot... uh... excuse me for a minute...
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

My dad is usually MONEY with calling draft picks. He LOVED Heath Miller coming out of Virginia before we even mentioned him as a dire need at TE and was amazed by Willie Parker in his first training camp when nobody even thunk of the name "Fast Willie."

He loved Ben even MORE in 2004.

Months before the draft, ESPN and Mel Kiper were going through a segment about the 2004 QB class. They showed 3 or 4 quick highlights of Ben and Miami of Ohio. He says:

"If they don't take this Roethlisberger guy, I'll never watch the Steelers again...."

Sure enough.