Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #71
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,056 Times in 557 Posts
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Wow-- somebody has anger issues, not to mention denials about his age....

"Old foggie" refers to those of us that have been around long enough to know better. 34 is probably older than a majority of the people posting on internet forums, not to mention the guys playing the sport on the field.

I am sorry if your masculinity was challenged by me caling you "old", but so you know where I am coming from-- I turn 35 in November.

So what you are saying...is that you want to rant and rave like a fxxking 5 year old and not listen to anybody else who tries to make things easier for your simple mind to comprehend. I got ya.

Somebody already pointed out to you, that Goodell is not single-handedly changing the rules of the game-- there is a committee that does that. But don't let facts get in the way of your willful ignorance, Twinkie.

Your dog got run over in the street? Goodell's fault.

You went bankrupt? Goodell's fault.

Wife left you? Goodell's fault.

"Brainwashed slaps"? Wow, not only are you totally ignorant, but you are as about as articulate as the average Klingon, and obviously failed the reading comprehension portion of the SAT. You are the pride of Appalachia, for sure....

I quite clearly stated that I am NOT a fan of all the new rules changes. You seem to have a problem discerning the difference between 'stating the facts' and 'agreeing with the facts'.

Again, nowhere in my post did I say anything remotely hinting that I agree with all the new rules changes-- I simply corrected your misconceptions and ignorant assumptions.

I personally could not care too much less if they all get brain damage. Again, I was simply correcting your misconceptions. You want to blame Goodell for everything under the sun, but the fact is that the NFL is trying to make itself less liable in court by looking serious about safety. And the reason they are doing that is because some 3400 lawsuits are currently in the systrem right now, filed by former players who spent all their $$$$ and claim the NFL didn't warn them properly of the health consequences of colliding with each other some 1100 times per season.

Now go smash a beer can on your forehead and eat a good book, Twinkie. I think I have taxed your brain enough for one day.

I hope Goodell and anyone who follows him hits their pinky toe on the end of the table in the living room tonight.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #72
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
I hope Goodell and anyone who follows him hits their pinky toe on the end of the table in the living room tonight.
Does that include the Rooney's? I do believe that they supported Goodell's re-up until 2014, didn't they?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #73
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Does that include the Rooney's? I do believe that they supported Goodell's re-up until 2014, didn't they?
Fart.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #74
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Yes. Both pinkie toes for them. They should know better.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #75
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,946 Times in 3,009 Posts

ive seen plenty of remarks here that suggest people arent seeing the forest through the trees.

there is history at work that isnt being acknowleged. dick lebeau formulated the zone blitz scheme to combat the west coast offense invented by bill walsh. if you look back is is the bungles defense (with lebeau on the staff) that gave the 49ers the only competition they ever faced in thier 5 superbowls. how ironic is that (walsh came to the 49ers from the bungles staff). were it not for tim krumrie breaking his leg in the 88 sb the bungs would have a ring and the 49ers only have 4 (or less).

so teams have figured this defense out? thats what they said in 2002 when the patriots and raiders opened the season spreading us out and torching us for 90 points in the 1st 2 games. eventually our slapdick DC who didnt know how to run the scheme was fired and the master was brought back. 8 years, 4 AFC champ games, and 2 SB victories later, half the league is running some version of OUR 3-4 defense, and about just as many teams are still trying to duplicate what the raiders and patriots were able to do back in 2002 with their vesrion of the spread offense.

lebeaus defense has virtually eliminated the fullback from nfl rosters, and turned bell cow backs into a rarity.

lebeaus defense has prompted the LEAGUE to institute rules to eliminate hitting and to open up the passing game almost to areana league proportions.

any of yall who think the raiders scrub OC has suddenly figured out and mastered lebeau is a joke (not that knapp hasnt been around the block and isnt familiar with his concepts).

again, if you step back and look at things objectively, it is the SCHEME that is growing and forcing the league and its offenses to adapt and change.

the steelers defense has been the driving force. for almost 20 years about 28+ teams have known that if you want a realistic shot of winning a superbowl, you better be prepared to beat the steelers who stand in the way.

no other team can say that.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #76
ricardisimo
Administrator

Amen, brutha.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:19 AM   #77
steelers33
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17599

I did sense we were predictable a few times last Sunday and that definitely hurt us because Palmer is somebody who is familiar with our schemes. But I think our defensive line,and not having a rusher opposite of Woodley are the main concerns with the defense.
steelers33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:25 AM   #78
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
ive seen plenty of remarks here that suggest people arent seeing the forest through the trees.

there is history at work that isnt being acknowleged. dick lebeau formulated the zone blitz scheme to combat the west coast offense invented by bill walsh. if you look back is is the bungles defense (with lebeau on the staff) that gave the 49ers the only competition they ever faced in thier 5 superbowls. how ironic is that (walsh came to the 49ers from the bungles staff). were it not for tim krumrie breaking his leg in the 88 sb the bungs would have a ring and the 49ers only have 4 (or less).

so teams have figured this defense out? thats what they said in 2002 when the patriots and raiders opened the season spreading us out and torching us for 90 points in the 1st 2 games. eventually our slapdick DC who didnt know how to run the scheme was fired and the master was brought back. 8 years, 4 AFC champ games, and 2 SB victories later, half the league is running some version of OUR 3-4 defense, and about just as many teams are still trying to duplicate what the raiders and patriots were able to do back in 2002 with their vesrion of the spread offense.

lebeaus defense has virtually eliminated the fullback from nfl rosters, and turned bell cow backs into a rarity.

lebeaus defense has prompted the LEAGUE to institute rules to eliminate hitting and to open up the passing game almost to areana league proportions.

any of yall who think the raiders scrub OC has suddenly figured out and mastered lebeau is a joke (not that knapp hasnt been around the block and isnt familiar with his concepts).

again, if you step back and look at things objectively, it is the SCHEME that is growing and forcing the league and its offenses to adapt and change.

the steelers defense has been the driving force. for almost 20 years about 28+ teams have known that if you want a realistic shot of winning a superbowl, you better be prepared to beat the steelers who stand in the way.

no other team can say that.

The difference between being the greatest Qb of all time and not being the greatest of all time. One simple dropped INT. And INT that would have more then likely won it for the Bengals. That's how small it is.....
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #79
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

That's right. The Lebeau Defense forced the league to adapt, and they have adapted quite well when you look at it. That's why our SCHEME needs to adapt. Lebeau Defenses force you to be patient, well guess what, NFL Offenses are patient now. The Down-the Sideline 'Gamebreaker' WR is a minority. Guys who can move underneath and middle are becoming bigger necessities. TE's are being incorporated more into offenses. The "10-Yard Cushion" is eaten alive by that stuff.

As for our 2-Gap Scheme, Leagues have adapted to that as well. :Zone Blocking" is becoming more prevalent. LEGAL Chop Blocking has rendered the "Space Eater" out of commission. That's why Houston, Arizona, and Seattle has switched to 1-Gap D-Line play. Guys who can shoot the gap and attack the O-Line are becoming more disruptive than ever.

Lebeau's success in the past doesn't excuse what is happening now, and the fact of the matter is the Lebeau's Defense is a sieve that contributed to a 1-2 start. Can't stop the run, giving up big gains, can't make crucial stops, can't force turnovers. It's as bad a Defense as I've ever seen. Our way of 3-4 Defense is obsolete.

If we just have one, just one decent defensive performance we're at 2-1.

Last edited by Edman; 09-28-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #80
ricardisimo
Administrator

And when we're yet again 12-4 and ranked top-5 in D at the end of the year, what are all of you going to say?