Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,803 Times in 4,078 Posts
Default Re: Larry Foote Says Players Donít Trust LeBeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Casey is starting because of One Dick Lebeau.
mike tomlin is the head coach.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I agree that they should be playing other personnel but the scheme is fine. This defense has been ranked so high for so long, we were bound to see some drop at some point. And if they don't get it together we probably see Keith Butler as our new Defensive Coordinator next season.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,949 Times in 5,337 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

On the Steelers: Defense has problems, and predictability is one of them

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's not so much that the Steelers defense is old and slow, now they are predictable?

Some Oakland Raiders made that claim Sunday, including wide receiver Derek Hagan, who credited quarterback Carson Palmer for diagramming Dick LeBeau's defense for his teammates and then picking it apart.

"They pretty much did the same thing that they did six, seven years ago when he was playing with Cincinnati," Hagan said of the former Bengals quarterback. "Obviously, they've got a legendary D-coordinator over there. He's been running certain things that other teams have seen, that we've seen. We knew their tendencies and we were able to hit them with some big plays when it really counted."

Predictable? Guilty as charged said Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

"Sometimes, when you speed up the offense, you can call the same plays and kind of get stuck in the same plays," Clark said of defending Oakland's no-huddle offense Sunday.

"We really haven't been that hard to figure out the last seven years I've been here. We've been running the same things, we call the same things. It's not about being predictable, it's about executing.

"Coach LeBeau puts us in a call, we have to execute the right way. It doesn't matter if you know what we're doing if you can stop it."

Here are the adjustments Clark suggests:

"That's what we have to get back to doing, no matter what the call is, the guys across from us, kicking his butt and getting to the ball."

That defense usually becomes a little less predictable when a healthy Troy Polamalu and James Harrison join it, which is what both did Tuesday in practice. Harrison missed the first three regular-season games with his bothersome knee, and Polamalu missed the past two with a calf injury. Polamalu intends to play when the Steelers face Philadelphia at home Oct. 7 after their off week. Harrison's participation will depend, again, on how his knee responds between now and then.

"It'll help," linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "Those are key guys back, that definitely makes a big difference on this defense. So having them back would definitely be great for this defense."

Perhaps surprisingly, that defense ranks among the best in the NFL in yards allowed. It ranks fifth against the pass (190.3 yards permitted per game) and seventh overall (291.3) in a league that leans more and more to offense.

Still, it's not what the Steelers are accustomed to doing. They finished first in the NFL last season in fewest yards allowed, passing yards allowed and points allowed. Yet they have continued another trend from 2011 in that they are also producing fewer turnovers and sacks.

Woodley has two of his team's five sacks, which are tied for 22nd in the NFL. They have produced only two turnovers, and their three as a team (one fumble recovery on a muffed punt return) is tied for 24th.

Last season, they managed a 21-year low of 35 sacks and 16 turnovers.

Forget their rankings, the Steelers realize they are not playing good defense.

"It stinks," Clark said of the way they've played. "It's not the way we play defense. It's not the way we train and work all week to come out and play. But coach LeBeau says sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

"They scored a lot of points, and we didn't stop them. We can't point fingers at anybody, we have to use our thumbs and point them at ourselves and be better."

Said Woodley, "Even if we won the game on Sunday, we still played bad on defense."
Clark suggested it's not necessarily the "old" guys.

"I think what you lose, you lose chemistry sometimes when guys go out. We have to work together and fit together properly, that more than anything. It's not that guys aren't talented enough, we're not fitting the defense like coach LeBeau wants us to do."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz27po7P0JI
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Wow, what a tale in three games, abandoned LeBeau even though the offense hasn't produced like this in years. Did anyone get the number of the bus that LeBeau was just thrown under??
This has been going on for awhile, not just the last three games. We got Tebowed and made Curtis Painter look like Payton Manning. Time for a change.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:30 AM   #15
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Larry Foote needs to shut up. Dick Lebeau isn't going anywhere. Larry Foote is a huge liability in coverage or in open space. That said I do agree that the defense has been playing with its hands tied and it is time for the players to be allowed to be aggressive.
Obviously having two former DPOY out is going to hurt your defense. Personnel is a huge issue right now. I like the young cornerbacks tbh but Mundy is terrible and so are Worilds and Carter,
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
mike tomlin is the head coach.
Yeah he is. Maybe you should let him in on that secret so he can actually make a decision. Tomlins been making horrible personnel and gametime decisions since he's been in Pittsburgh. The guys soft and is a pushover. Gives way too much leeway to his staff. Players and coaches.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #17
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Larry Foote needs to shut up. Dick Lebeau isn't going anywhere. Larry Foote is a huge liability in coverage or in open space. That said I do agree that the defense has been playing with its hands tied and it is time for the players to be allowed to be aggressive.
Obviously having two former DPOY out is going to hurt your defense. Personnel is a huge issue right now. I like the young cornerbacks tbh but Mundy is terrible and so are Worilds and Carter,
I bet this is dickies last season with us..
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 AM   #18
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
This has been going on for awhile, not just the last three games. We got Tebowed and made Curtis Painter look like Payton Manning. Time for a change.
'that is true. I thought our defense looked like utter crap through the last half of last year.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Casey is starting because the coaches probably feel at this point he would do better then McClendon.

I know, just as they thought Aaron Smith Last Season would do better than Ziggy Hood even though he hasn't played a full down in years.

An Aging Lineman coming off of ACL surgery is doing better than a guy who came into the season with a full head of steam.

It's a comedy the Steelers Coaching Staff is putting on now.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Yeah he is. Maybe you should let him in on that secret so he can actually make a decision. Tomlins been making horrible personnel and gametime decisions since he's been in Pittsburgh. The guys soft and is a pushover. Gives way too much leeway to his staff. Players and coaches.
This I have to agree with. Tomlin is part of the problem, by sitting back and doing nothing.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote