Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 09-26-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Steelers defense w/o Polamalu

Hope he's in for the last 13 games. We need us some Troy!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fo-...thout-polamalu
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,848 Times in 1,370 Posts
Default Re: Steelers defense w/o Polamalu

you mean 16 games

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,751 Times in 2,939 Posts

Steelers' Polamalu feeling better at long last

September 29, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The pass sailed over the middle, intended for one of the scout team's receiver, and, with one flying motion toward the ball, this much became apparent about Troy Polamalu.

"It feels much better," Polamalu said.

The reference was to the calf Polamalu said he injured in practice the week leading up to the season opener in Denver, an injury that kept the seven-time Pro Bowl safety out of the past two games for the Steelers.

Polamalu, though, returned to practice Tuesday, worked both days with the first-team defense and said he is "optimistic" he will play when the Steelers return from their open week to play the Philadelphia Eagles Oct. 7 at Heinz Field.

Then he added, "As long as coach [Mike] Tomlin is optimistic."

How could he not be?

Polamalu's return -- both to the lineup and to health -- should help a defense that has not made many significant plays and also surrendered game-changing plays in losses in Denver and Oakland.

Against the Raiders, all Polamalu could do was watch from the sideline as his former college housemate, Carson Palmer, brought his team back from deficits of 24-14 and 31-21 in the second half.

"I think if you kind of individually watched a player in the game, you can say everybody [on the defense] played pretty good," Polamalu said. "But everybody was messing up on the wrong play, one play consistently. Eleven guys weren't doing their job together on every play. And the way we play defense, whether you get one breakdown in the front [seven] or the secondary, it's pretty obvious."

Why?

Polamalu said it's because the Steelers play so much man defense.

"We play so much more man-to-man than anybody else," Polamalu said. "All those fire zones [blitzes], those are man-to-man. Those aren't zone coverages."

The Steelers got caught in one of those fire-zone blitzes in Oakland when Palmer checked out of a pass play on Darren McFadden's 64-yard touchdown run -- the longest run against the Steelers in the Tomlin era.

It was the second long touchdown against the Steelers this season. In the 31-19 loss in Denver, the Broncos scored on a 71-yard catch-and-run by wide receiver Demaryius Thomas that turned the game around.

"Any of those close games, a play here, a play there, make a difference," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "We got to be the ones making those plays, which, in the two losses, we weren't."

Granted, Ryan Clark's interception on the first offensive play led to the first touchdown and a 7-0 lead against the Raiders.

But it not only was the only takeaway in the game, it also was the Steelers' only interception so far this season.

What's more, LeBeau is also bothered by the defense's decline in the second half of the losses against the Broncos and Raiders.

In Denver, the Broncos scored 24 of their 31 points, gained 208 of their 334 yards and had 11 of their 20 first downs in the second half. In Oakland, the Raiders scored 20 of their 34 points, gained 216 of their 321 yards and had 16 of their 21 first downs in the second half. What's more, Palmer converted 7 of 8 third-down chances in the second half.

"I wish I knew the answer to that because that's something we got to address," LeBeau said.

"We finished the [New York] Jets game, and it's our only win. If we finish the other two, we probably would have three wins. We're all aware of the problem and we're working on the corrections."

Having Polamalu back should help.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz27sdG8Us8
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

His style of play has caught up to him. You cannot play that physically and be that dominating of a force and expect to be injury free. Age has a way of curtailing that. I hope he can stay healthy but I doubt his style of play wont allow it. Same thing for Harrison. Sucks but its reality.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,206 Times in 652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
His style of play has caught up to him. You cannot play that physically and be that dominating of a force and expect to be injury free. Age has a way of curtailing that. I hope he can stay healthy but I doubt his style of play wont allow it. Same thing for Harrison. Sucks but its reality.

I've reached the same conclusion. It's very unlikely that things are going to get significantly better with Troy and Deebo. Aging, style of play, years played, all add up and end careers.
I was hoping for 2-3 more years with Troy, 1-2 for James.
Seems possible for Troy, unlikely for Deebo.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
you mean 16 games
I wish I had your optimism.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261

When a scheme needs two players or one specific player to work better than mediocre, then it's not a good scheme.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Troy makes QB's nervous, I loved it when Peyton had to burn a TO.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote