Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 09-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #71
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: DEFENSE????

well if the players aren't slow then the scheme must be putting them in the wrong position to make plays

and if you can't pressure the QB all the scheming in the world is worthless. Carter and Worilds have been zeros. We need Harrison back to have a chance and who knows long he'll last.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #72
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

It seems that on every play there was no pressure from the defense. I remember reading comments during the pre-season on my app NFL '12 from the defensive coach about how he was going to "change" the way the defense was because he "knew" he could make it better. I think Big Ben put it best when he said "he just needs to leave well enough alone. We work well as a team and we should not be forced to alter our playing styles. We just need to refine what we have. As for me I don't really care what the coaching staff has to say. I'm going to play my ball and Thats, that.". Spoken like a true leader. Big Ben needs to tell the Defensive coach "IT'S NOT WORKING-YOUR WAY SUCKS AND IS COSTING US GAMES".

This new defensive strategy and positioning and game playing is simply terrible. The players have changed and they are not playing in the positions they are used to. They all seem defeated before the game begins. It's like they have no heart to win. No intensity. I don't know if the coaching has beaten them down or if they got lax in their requirements from their players but this is simply retarded! Someone needs to light a fire under their asses and make them mad. Give them something to want them to rip someone to shreds. I don't care what but just do something other then the direction they have taken my beloved team. Power up the defense and MAKE them find that intensity within or we won't have a shot at beating those piss pot Ravens or even making it to the SB. It's still early in the season but we can't lose much more before being bumped out.

Mr. Tomlin if you are reading this...please bring my team back to the greatness we all know they are capable of and make them fight! The seasons not over but it will be if you don't woop their butts into shape!

Run after the ball. Make tackles and act like you want to play.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 AM   #73
Stairway to 7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
This is a sad day in Pittsburgh history. I will be hanging my head low and hanging up my terrible towel for the night.
stfu.
Stairway to 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #74
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Damn you to hell BYE WEEK

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #75
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,061 Times in 4,306 Posts
My Mood: Happy

the defense has been outright offensive so far this season...

The Doobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #76
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Personally I think the bye week will be good for Pittsburgh. It will give them time to fix the chinks in the defense and hopefully light a fire under the defensive's butts because another game like we had against the Raiders and we might as well just hang it up for the season.

And to "Stairway to 7" do not speak like that to me again or I will report you to the moderator. Verbal attacks like that are not tolerated and against the rules you agreed to here. Keep it about football and not slurs or personal attacks on people.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 PM   #77
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,061 Times in 4,306 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Steelers seek remedy for mediocre defense

Raiders running back Darren McFadden (right) comes down with the ball as Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote looks on during the fourth quarter of a game in Oakland, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cam Heyward often wears a “Steel Curtain” T-shirt, a sign that he recognizes the tradition of defensive excellence that is not only expected but is mandated whenever a player joins the Steelers.

Let down in a single game, and you are letting down Mel Blount and Jack Ham, Joe Greene and Rod Woodson, Jack Lambert and your teammates, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison.

A season ago, the Steelers allowed the fewest yards and points in the NFL. It wasn’t an anomaly. Since the 1970 NFL merger, they also are No. 1 in the same two categories, which measure not just a team’s ability to control an opponent but to keep it off the scoreboard.

“This city’s built on defense,” linebacker Larry Foote said. “This locker room is built on it.”

Except that being without Harrison (knee) for the season to date and Polamalu (calf) for two games has significantly weakened that foundation. The Steelers aren’t getting off the field on third downs, aren’t pressuring the quarterback consistently, aren’t getting off the field at all in the second half.

“We aren’t whipping the guy across from us,” safety Ryan Clark said.

When they resume practicing Monday following their weekend off, the Steelers will try to sort out whether going from the top of the heap to the middle or below in numerous statistical categories represents a fixable letdown or a non-repairable breakdown.

They don’t know when they’ll get back Harrison, who can’t seem to get on the practice field regularly, much less play a game. They expect Polamalu to be all right — he practiced last week — but he’s 31, so it might be unfair to anticipate him being the player he was only a couple of years ago.

No, whether this defense will begin to resemble those of the recent past will be up to Heyward and Ziggy Hood, Foote and Lawrence Timmons, Keenan Lewis and Ike Taylor.

“In this business, you are never as good as you think you are and you are never quite as bad as maybe they say you are,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “We are getting good effort and good plays, but not enough.”

That was evident when Peyton Manning led three scoring drives during the second half in Denver, and when Carson Palmer led five scoring drives in the second half in Oakland. And a defense that rarely allows big plays already has given up a 71-yard touchdown pass (Demaryius Thomas) and a 64-yard TD run (Darren McFadden).

They have only five sacks, only three turnovers forced. Opponents are converting at a 48 percent rate on third down (16 of 33), the fifth highest in the league.

“That’s why we call third down the ‘money down,’ ” Foote said. “You’ve got to get off the field.”

Foote and LeBeau both suggested the defensive lapses have occurred in part because players are trying to do too much, such as failing to control their gap when they see a teammate in distress.

“I found with this group of guys that generally that is a condition,” LeBeau said. “If a team is moving the ball a little bit, they want to do a little more to stop them. That is a good problem to have. But it is a problem nonetheless. We can’t do that. We have to trust the defense, trust the teammate, focus and play.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz27zZvR3nt

The Doobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #78
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Now that we had a bye let's see what Pitts have done to correct their defense so we don't have a repeat of the last ...cough,cough 3 games. Yes even our win looked rough.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #79
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...headline_stack

Quote:
Harrison, Woodley to rotate for Steelers vs. Eagles
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Oct. 6, 2012 at 09:57 a.m.
Updated: Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will finally look like the Pittsburgh Steelers again when the Philadelphia Eagles visit on Sunday.

With the return of outside linebacker James Harrison and strong safety Troy Polamalu, this team regains two players that have been sorely missed on a defense that's allowed an uncharacteristic 25 points per game.

Harrison hasn't played since last season and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau plans to bring him along slowly against the Eagles. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Harrison will rotate with Chris Carter. Another veteran, LaMarr Woodley, will rotate with Jason Worilds, with an eye toward keeping the veteran linebackers fresh through four quarters.

"I have to come off," Harrison said. "It's no need being out there, being dog-tired, and not be able to do what's necessary to play the position. You want to stay fresh. You don't want to go out there and play every snap in the first half and come out sluggish in the third and have nothing left in the fourth."

Harrison and Woodley have been two of the team's best players over the years, but this defense blew a 10-point lead in a Week 3 loss to the Oakland Raiders, and that's what eats at LeBeau, who wants to keep his outside linebackers driving at the quarterback until the end.

We're not sure if Harrison's presence will do enough to stop some of the long runs this team has allowed. Polamalu will remedy the turnover drought, but who can rescue the Steelers' defensive line, which has been a mess during the team's 1-2 start? These familair faces will be welcomed back, but not to a defense they're used to.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.
I get why they would rotate Harrison, but why Woodley?
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #80
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Oh my God! Here we go again! Defense is letting us down and giving up yards to the Eagles. God almighty...when the hell is our defense going to start doing their job? Between that an the absurd number of penalties I am ready to shut the TV off!