Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 09-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #81
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: DICK LEBEAU MUST GO!!!!!!!!!

The Raiders are not the worst team in the league!!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:20 AM   #82
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
On the Steelers: Clark: 'We're too predictable'

September 26, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It's not so much that the Steelers defense is old and slow, now they are predictable?

Some Oakland Raiders made that claim Sunday, including wide receiver Derek Hagan, who credited quarterback Carson Palmer for diagramming Dick LeBeau's defense for his teammates and then picking it apart.

"They pretty much did the same thing that they did six, seven years ago when he was playing with Cincinnati," Hagan said of the former Bengals quarterback. "Obviously, they've got a legendary D-coordinator over there. He's been running certain things that other teams have seen, that we've seen. We knew their tendencies and we were able to hit them with some big plays when it really counted."

Predictable? Guilty as charged said Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

"Sometimes, when you speed up the offense, you can call the same plays and kind of get stuck in the same plays," Clark said of defending Oakland's no-huddle offense Sunday.

"We really haven't been that hard to figure out the last seven years I've been here. We've been running the same things, we call the same things. It's not about being predictable, it's about executing.

"Coach LeBeau puts us in a call, we have to execute the right way. It doesn't matter if you know what we're doing if you can stop it."

Here are the adjustments Clark suggests:

"That's what we have to get back to doing, no matter what the call is, the guys across from us, kicking his butt and getting to the ball."

That defense usually becomes a little less predictable when a healthy Troy Polamalu and James Harrison join it, which is what both did Tuesday in practice. Harrison missed the first three regular-season games with his bothersome knee, and Polamalu missed the past two with a calf injury. Polamalu intends to play when the Steelers face Philadelphia at home Oct. 7 after their off week. Harrison's participation will depend, again, on how his knee responds between now and then.

"It'll help," linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. "Those are key guys back, that definitely makes a big difference on this defense. So having them back would definitely be great for this defense."

Perhaps surprisingly, that defense ranks among the best in the NFL in yards allowed. It ranks fifth against the pass (190.3 yards permitted per game) and seventh overall (291.3) in a league that leans more and more to offense.

Still, it's not what the Steelers are accustomed to doing. They finished first in the NFL last season in fewest yards allowed, passing yards allowed and points allowed. Yet they have continued another trend from 2011 in that they are also producing fewer turnovers and sacks.

Woodley has two of his team's five sacks, which are tied for 22nd in the NFL. They have produced only two turnovers, and their three as a team (one fumble recovery on a muffed punt return) is tied for 24th.

Last season, they managed a 21-year low of 35 sacks and 16 turnovers.

Forget their rankings, the Steelers realize they are not playing good defense.

"It stinks," Clark said of the way they've played. "It's not the way we play defense. It's not the way we train and work all week to come out and play. But coach LeBeau says sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

"They scored a lot of points, and we didn't stop them. We can't point fingers at anybody, we have to use our thumbs and point them at ourselves and be better."

Said Woodley, "Even if we won the game on Sunday, we still played bad on defense."
Clark suggested it's not necessarily the "old" guys.

"I think what you lose, you lose chemistry sometimes when guys go out. We have to work together and fit together properly, that more than anything. It's not that guys aren't talented enough, we're not fitting the defense like coach LeBeau wants us to do."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz27Y9w1vCq
Wow!!! I'm not totally against D. lebeau but I've seen some mediocre, and sub par Qb's (Tebow, Painter) that shouldn't be in the NFL, carve this defence apart! Brady even said he got this defence. Somethings gotta change and change quick. I know Troy and James plays a big part in this defence but damn are there no other playmakers on this defence? I was yelling at the tv Sunday SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, MAKE A DAMN PLAY!!!! or maybe they just wasn't put in position to make a play.

Last edited by EbonySteel86; 09-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.
EbonySteel86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #83
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,104 Times in 600 Posts

I think it may be time to face the music, the Steelers may have to rely on the Offense to put up large numbers through the game in order to win. Now that might work against a Raiders defense, but when it comes time to play Baltimore that game plan will not fit. Bottomline, the defense needs to get on the same sheet and execute as a team, they can't rely on one player making the plays, also I believe LeBeau and Tomlin need to start using their defensive players for what they are paid for, i.e. pass rushing instead of dropping back in coverage. Worilds looked like the" fat kid in dodge ball" last week trying to cover the TE.
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #84
steelfan23

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizze99 View Post
This has to rank up there as one of the most idiotic posts I have ever read on this site. Hell, while you are at it, maybe we should have the Rooney's retire from football and sell the team.

I am not going to site here and point fingers at players or coaches because most of us watched the game in utter disbelief. Something has to change with this defense. Right now, these guys can't even fight themselves out of wet paper bag. The common theme going back to last season is a lack of pressure on the opposing QB. I remember a time when he had the nick name "Blitzburgh" but that is long gone now. I am tired of watching 2nd rate QB's look like HOF candidates.

I feel like we should be 3-0 going into the bye week but here we are in reality and we are limping in at 1-2. I hope the coaching staff utilizes this off week to "fix" this team because right now it's broken. The offense is averaging 26pts/game which in my book is more than enough to be a 3-0 team. 75pts given up by our defense in 3 games is horrendous.
thanks for taking the time to address any of my points or refute them if you disagree. Crappy response from yet another lazy mindless drone award goes to...
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #85
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,776 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan23 View Post
thanks for taking the time to address any of my points or refute them if you disagree. Crappy response from yet another lazy mindless drone award goes to...
Thanks for replying to a post made 9 days ago and bumping a thread nearly a week old.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 AM   #86
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Late letdowns on defense hurting Steelers

By Alan Robinson
Published: Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Steelers saftey Ryan Clark returns an interception against the Raiders in a loss earlier this season

A look at how quarterbacks have fared against the Steelers this season in the first and second half:

• First half: 20 of 34, 215 yards, 2 TD, 1 INT

• Second half: 33 of 53, 385 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT

They can blame the absence of all-world safety Troy Polamalu for two games. They can blame not getting the reliable push from their defensive line that would have helped prevent wide receivers from constantly gaining downfield separation.

To safety Ryan Clark, it’s time to stop finding reasons why the Steelers secondary’s statistics look great but their execution can look awful, especially in the second half.

To illustrate how numbers can lie, the Steelers (1-2) are No. 5 in total defense and No. 3 in passing yardage, yet they made an aging Peyton Manning look like an in-his-prime Manning, and Carson Palmer look like the Palmer of 2004. If Mark Sanchez hadn’t looked like Mark Sanchez, the Steelers’ numbers wouldn’t look like they do.

Big plays allowed, drives extended, upsets not prevented, games lost in the second half. No matter what the statistics say, that’s not the Steelers’ way.

“It’s like I said, on the first play (Sunday) there’s no more excuses,” Clark said Wednesday. “We can’t run in here and say, ‘We don’t have Troy, we don’t have James (Harrison).’ We have everybody we’re supposed to have now, so we’ve got to go out and make plays. You get a lift when those guys are out there, running to the ball and doing what they’ve done for years.”

What’s contradictory to their high rankings is that opponents are converting nearly half of their third-down attempts (16 of 33), thus keeping an aging defense on the field too long. That’s showing up in the second half, when the Steelers are giving up nearly twice as many yards passing (385) as they are in the first half (215).

“It hasn’t been terrible; honestly, it hasn’t been,” Clark said of the secondary’s play. “I think the spot we come up on the wrong end of the grade is third down. If you look at anything we need to improve on, it’s getting off the field in those clutch downs and getting the offense the ball back. People haven’t really beaten us over the top.”

Palmer, for example, was 6 of 10 for 37 yards, one touchdown and one interception in the first half; in the second half, he was 18 of 24 for 172 yards and two touchdowns as the Raiders rallied from a 10-point deficit to win, 34-31.

“Any defense, if you’re not going 100 percent on third down, you’re not satisfied,” defensive end Cam Heyward said. “We have to pick it up. I think we’re going to come out with a better effort this week.”

They might need one against ultra-mobile quarterback Michael Vick, whose ability to extend drives with his running and throwing helped the Eagles (3-1) rally in the fourth quarter of all three of their wins. Philadelphia visits Heinz Field on Sunday.

“He’s taken a pounding this year, guys are getting to him, making him fumble and give the ball up,” Clark said, referring to Vick’s five fumbles. “Even though he takes a lot of hits and he’s a tough guy, you can get the ball out from him. You’ve got to continue to pound on him so it adds up as the game goes along.”

Last week, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau suggested the defense’s problems resulted in part from players abandoning their responsibilities and trying to make a play on their own. Trust each other and do your job.

That message was reinforced as the Steelers returned to practice Wednesday, when the defense was healthy and operating at full strength for the first time since training camp started.

“If we get no push or if we get push, we have to be solid on our coverage,” cornerback Cortez Allen said. “We’ve got to plaster their receivers, and that’s going to be a big thing against Michael Vick, who does a good job as far as extending plays. Regardless of what happens up front, we have to be solid in our coverage.”

And not just on the stats sheet.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz28JSej2mP
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #87
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

I don't think its the Gameplanning..i think it's he lack of talent to execute it...Clark i getting slower, Mundy seems clueless, the LB's are always a day late, and no legit no 2 corner
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #88
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,725 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

our corners have been doing well imo, the front 7 on the other hand needs to step up. basically foote and woodley are the only ones earning their paychecks. the other 5 need to step it up
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 PM   #89
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
Wow!!! I'm not totally against D. lebeau but I've seen some mediocre, and sub par Qb's (Tebow, Painter) that shouldn't be in the NFL, carve this defence apart! Brady even said he got this defence. Somethings gotta change and change quick. I know Troy and James plays a big part in this defence but damn are there no other playmakers on this defence? I was yelling at the tv Sunday SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, MAKE A DAMN PLAY!!!! or maybe they just wasn't put in position to make a play.
Other players don't make plays because that was always Troy's job. Lebeau was so used to hanging onto Troy being a freelancing "Do-Everything" Superman that he doesn't let the rest of the Defense be playmakers. Corners and Safeties are always asked to "Tackle the Catch", D-Linemen aren't allowed to get in the backfield and are told to just stand there and titty twist, Linebackers always dropping into coverage, it's the same sorry crap.

Lebeau's mediocre scheme has been hidden extremely well thanks to players like Troy and Harrison, and without them, his scheme is busted wide open.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #90
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post
Other players don't make plays because that was always Troy's job. Lebeau was so used to hanging onto Troy being a freelancing "Do-Everything" Superman that he doesn't let the rest of the Defense be playmakers. Corners and Safeties are always asked to "Tackle the Catch", D-Linemen aren't allowed to get in the backfield and are told to just stand there and titty twist, Linebackers always dropping into coverage, it's the same sorry crap.

Lebeau's mediocre scheme has been hidden extremely well thanks to players like Troy and Harrison, and without them, his scheme is busted wide open.
What's ironic is the purpose for the defense playing like that is to "not give up the big play," yet all they've been doing this season is giving up the big play.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote