Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #101
Rotorhead
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: It's Scheme, not Talent.

I actually think, due to the injured talent, our scheme is being a little forced, once we get Troy and James back our scheme will able to tighten up and our pass rush will improve. For those of you saying our scheme lost in the playoffs, try and remember how many injuries we had. If we hadnt fumbled away the game in Oakland our def would have done just good enough to win, without our top 2 defenders. Im not blaming our offense, but we definately didnt do our ailing def any favors with those turnovers. We will be fine this year and playing for AFC North lead again.
Rotorhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #102
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,520 Times in 10,354 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Technically, we do have a top-5 defense. Now, you can qualify that all you want, and you can all be regular spoiled Steelers fans who can't stomach the thought that other teams, by rule, are allowed to win from time-to-time. Or, you can take a peek into the league's present and future thanks to Mr. Goodell and company. In other words, they really are a top-5 defense in this league, and you can all stop whining.

The flip side to this is that they always turn it around whenever they dip downwards, so just imagine how good they're going to be in a few weeks when they get their studs back and iron a few kinks out.
Wait... you state that nothing is wrong; and that I should stop whining. Then, in the very next paragraph, you say that they will "turn it around" & that they'll "iron out the kinks."

If there's nothing wrong... well... uh... what would there be to turn around/iron out?

1. Are you yourself whining? Because, that second paragraph sounds eerily like what I said... and you called me a whiner.

2. Regarding paragraph one. Are you reeeeally satisfied with the current performance of this defense? Really? You wouldn't change anything??? Oh... in paragraph two, you say that you would iron out a few kinks... meaning slight changes... so, again, you agree.

3. I have posted, many times that once Polamalu returns, he'll make "just enough" difference, to turn those slight losses into slight wins. Maybe it's a key INT or forced fumble; maybe it's a sack or a batted pass on third down; or, maybe it's making the QB call an extra time out... something small, but significant.

As Al Pacino said, "The difference is in the inches."

They'll be "good enough" to win a SuperBowl... although, mostly due to their offense scoring 30+ (and the defense doing just enough to hold opponents to less than 25).

4. I think an infusion if young talent will turn this "good" defense into a 2008-type of juggernaut. They have some good players, but need some more.

32: Barret Jones. LT, Alabama*
64: Matt Elam, S, Florida
96: Shayne Skov, LB, Stanford
R4: Nico Johnson, LB, Alabama

*[NOTE: As much as I'd like a stud R1 safety, I'd like a LT even more.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #103
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,268 Times in 641 Posts

The scheme is that Roger Goodell has destroyed defense in football. Thanks to stupid, greedy, ahole owners like Kraft, Snyder and Jones, this is what we have.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #104
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,967 Times in 4,545 Posts

as soon as anyone ON A MESSAGEBOARD starts tossing around 4 round draft predictions (or wish lists) 4 weeks into a season, i immediately tune out.

talk about a useless public excersize (jacking off into a sock at a bus stop, during rush hour, is more productive).
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #105
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
as soon as anyone ON A MESSAGEBOARD starts tossing around 4 round draft predictions (or wish lists) 4 weeks into a season, i immediately tune out.
That part aside, you don't have any other thoughts...

I mean, because you would only have tuned out at the END... and there were many other points prior to your tuning out... so... any thoughts...

[Yes, while watching college football, I look for players who I'd like to play for the Steelers. I doubt that I'm alone in this regard. Plus, since my point is that there needs to be some more talent on this defense, and since the major insertion of talent comes via the draft, talking about the draft is not as far out in "left field" as you have suggested.]
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #106
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,967 Times in 4,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
That part aside, you don't have any other thoughts...

I mean, because you would only have tuned out at the END... and there were many other points prior to your tuning out... so... any thoughts...

[Yes, while watching college football, I look for players who I'd like to play for the Steelers. I doubt that I'm alone in this regard. Plus, since my point is that there needs to be some more talent on this defense, and since the major insertion of talent comes via the draft, talking about the draft is not as far out in "left field" as you have suggested.]
many people dont like to hear the stats, but we are 6th in the league in total yards allowed on defense, so it is not like we have nothing to work with.

i am encouraged that we likely get polamalu and harrison back, and certainly hope sylvester can contribute as well.

i was about as excited about spence as i was with decastro.

i wont blame the loss on any of these parts on coaches for "mailing " it in.

to your point, i always hope to get younger and more atheletic with the draft, but i also hope for our younger players that we already have, to pay their dues and come into their own,
Old 10-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #107
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
many people dont like to hear the stats, but we are 6th in the league in total yards allowed on defense, so it is not like we have nothing to work with.

i am encouraged that we likely get polamalu and harrison back, and certainly hope sylvester can contribute as well.

to your point, i always hope to get younger and more atheletic with the draft, but i also hope for our younger players that we already have, to pay their dues and come into their own,
I concur with essentially all of that...
... except for Harrison. I fear he may be done for the year (due to that knee). [If he plays, it's a bonus.]

Troy may not be the Troy of 2004-2008, but he still makes that small, but significant, amount of difference... and, honestly, the difference in those two losses was ONE stop. A sack or batted pass on a third down on each of those games, and PITT is 3-0.

I had forgotten about Sly. Indeed, I hope he can make a similar (small, but significant) amount of "difference."

Fifth in total yards; third in passing yards; and eighth in scoring defense. Indeed, something to work with.

Lastly, I agree: the coaches (nor players) are mailing it in. I am certain that they are actively thinking of ways to improve. As I mentioned a few posts back: whatever is "wrong" WILL indeed be corrected.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #108
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,602 Times in 5,992 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:

talk about a useless public excersize (jacking off into a sock at a bus stop, during rush hour, is more productive).
oh, sooooo that's how you do it...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #109
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:

You are kidding right!! Stats!! The stat that opposing teams are converting almost 50 percent of there 3rd downs you forgot to include. How about the one where opposing teams have only had the ball for 24 minutes a game and the Steelers have had it for 36. That's probably the reason they are sixth in yards because opposing teams are not on the field long enough. You cannot hide the facts that this defence stinks. Bad drafting and age has caught up. Woirlds was supposed to replace Harrison or at least be there as a good replacement when he goes down. I said last season and will say it again; a total bust. Horrible secondary and no attention paid to it. The only place they have paid attention to is the d line; and in a 3 man front; oh well those guys can't shine like they can in a 4 man front. I believe the Steelers held on to players too long and are going to pay for it now. Huge salaries will be dumped at the end of this season along with Dick and his passive defence!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #110
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Our offense is 2nd in time of possession, so this stat is not surprising. In points per game we're 21st, on pace to give up more than 400, something we haven't done since the 5-11 1988 campaign.

When you consider the TOP and we're still 21st in points allowed? That's quite terrible.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote