Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,971 Times in 5,348 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Koach Kugler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

thats just my opinion. admittedly i am least comfortable discussing the OL as i have never played the position or really even studied it until the past few years.
that doesn't seem to stop any of the other posters here from freely sharing their opinions...
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Interesting point.

The Colon is definitely smash-mouth. I would say that Pouncey & DD are more of the finesse style. I'm not sure about Adams & Gilbert. [I'm not sure about Adams at all.]

So, do you think that need at least one more O-lineman (LG)... and possibly three (LG, LT, RT)? Or, do you think that these players can adapt to the zone-blocking, finesse style? Better yet, might the interior be finesse, and the tackles be smash-mouth? Similarly, maybe the left side is smash-mouth, and the middle to right side is finesse...???
Nothing finesse about Decastro or Pouncey. When Gerald McCoy says Pouncey was the toughest guy he played against and Almeda Ta'amu says he kept an eye on where DeCastro was in Stanford vs Washington games..........you know those guys bring it.

DeCastro, Colon and Pouncey are nasty finishers, but the 2 young guys IMO do a great job at getting position on defenders and driving them. Colon just mauls more than sealing gaps.

Has Kugler done much?? Look at the injuries and talent that he has dealt with the past couple years. The thing that I like about his line so far is that he has them playing beyond the whistle, where I noticed guys from Zeirline's lines standing around and watching the play at times... being less persistent than the defense.

They will be tested this week on blitz pickup. Ben needs to find his hot receivers, while the O line needs to pick up 1 man per man and let the free blitzer come from the farthest distance away. If Mendenhall has any form, I see him rushing for 70 yards on sunday.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
that doesn't seem to stop any of the other posters here from freely sharing their opinions...
I resemble that remark.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 23,371 Times in 9,526 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i think colon will eventually be fine. i just expected him to come right out of the gate gangbusters. i guess my expectations were too high and unrealistic. i still think he will be good, just not the immediate pro-bowler i predicted.

beachum has been understandably horrible. the fact that he even made the roster kinda suggests which direction the OL may be heading. like you said, we will probably stand pat on the outside. starks is cheap and adams and gilbert are way too young to give up on now (like we did w/ urbick).

thats just my opinion. admittedly i am least comfortable discussing the OL as i have never played the position or really even studied it until the past few years.
I, too, was certain that The Colon was going to be awesome. [It's early; he still could be.] I had visions of The Colon pushing his defender forward about three yards, and DD pulling through that hole, into the second level, followed by a RB, who gained 6 yards per rush. Maybe that is what will happen during the play-offs.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Nothing finesse about Decastro or Pouncey. When Gerald McCoy says Pouncey was the toughest guy he played against and Almeda Ta'amu says he kept an eye on where DeCastro was in Stanford vs Washington games..........you know those guys bring it.

DeCastro, Colon and Pouncey are nasty finishers, but the 2 young guys IMO do a great job at getting position on defenders and driving them. Colon just mauls more than sealing gaps.

I watched DD for two years, and he was like a 300 lb FB: pulling, through holes, into the second level.

I'm not saying that they aren't tough... Pouncey & DD are as tough as I've seen, but aren't the two of them more athletic than smash-mouth? [I'm really asking, because, if finesse isn't being athletic, then I don't think that I understand what finesse is...]
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #16
jtbsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 18760

The line has for the most part looked good this year in pass protection.
jtbsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I watched DD for two years, and he was like a 300 lb FB: pulling, through holes, into the second level.

I'm not saying that they aren't tough... Pouncey & DD are as tough as I've seen, but aren't the two of them more athletic than smash-mouth? [I'm really asking, because, if finesse isn't being athletic, then I don't think that I understand what finesse is...]
Ahhh, I understand where you are at now. If an O lineman isnt a big nasty mauler, he isnt going to play in the NFL unless he is athletic and can get to a defender's correct side to effectively block him out of the play in the run game.

Guys like Darnell Stapleton, Legursky or Sean Mahan are classic examples of linemen that were not overly big and got overpowered by bigger D linemen, but could be effective against them by cutting the off to the play. They might honestly be better in a zone block offense than a power man offense.

Max Unger of Seattle vs. Alex Mack of Cleveland is another classic example where Unger gets his man blocked by technique rather than overpowering him, while Mack plays a stronger game, but is equally as technical and athletic. Unger gets deemed a finesse center, while Mack a powerful kid.

DeCastro and Pouncey are both athletic, get good angles and hand placement, but they finish their blocks with a nasty attitude and try to pancake defenders if they can. Players like Legursky, Stapleton, Unger, etc. tend to try and get their man blocked and get back to the huddle. In reality, there is not that much finesse in the trenches, but rather intelligence and physical execution.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Ahhh, I understand where you are at now. If an O lineman isnt a big nasty mauler, he isnt going to play in the NFL unless he is athletic and can get to a defender's correct side to effectively block him out of the play in the run game.

Guys like Darnell Stapleton, Legursky or Sean Mahan are classic examples of linemen that were not overly big and got overpowered by bigger D linemen, but could be effective against them by cutting the off to the play. They might honestly be better in a zone block offense than a power man offense.

Max Unger of Seattle vs. Alex Mack of Cleveland is another classic example where Unger gets his man blocked by technique rather than overpowering him, while Mack plays a stronger game, but is equally as technical and athletic. Unger gets deemed a finesse center, while Mack a powerful kid.

DeCastro and Pouncey are both athletic, get good angles and hand placement, but they finish their blocks with a nasty attitude and try to pancake defenders if they can. Players like Legursky, Stapleton, Unger, etc. tend to try and get their man blocked and get back to the huddle. In reality, there is not that much finesse in the trenches, but rather intelligence and physical execution.
Thant makes total sense. Now, I get it. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,971 Times in 5,348 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:

very good post!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Come on Tony, social media and is big part of playing football these days, lol. These guys need to vent after committing dumbass penalties and losing games they shouldn't lose.

Colon is smash mouth? Yea he talks a lot of shit after he committs a stupid ass penalty, than Gilbert Tweets about it, lol. Not sure if Colon will be eventually fine, as I dont see them paying anywheres close to what he made this year. Usually that means he is out the door? Is this is last contract year? Or did we sign him to a 5 year 50million extension that I missed?lol
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote