Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default ...and here come the Steelers shooting off their mouths and acting cocky

Steelers plan to attack Eagles’ nickel corner

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers believe they might have a sweet matchup when they drop back to pass in Sunday’s game against the Philadelphia Eagles at Heinz Field.

No, not against three-time Pro Bowl corner Nnamdi Asomugha, Philadelphia’s top cornerback and long considered one of the best coverage men in the NFL.

Nor do they necessarily feel testing Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, who has 16 career interceptions in 65 games – including three this season – is a great idea.

The Steelers (1-2) will be looking for a more advantageous matchup when they host the Eagles ( 3 1) Sunday, namely, whoever is matched up with Philadelphia’s third corner, rookie Brandon Boykin, a fourth-round pick out of Georgia.

“That’s the candy bar,” said Steelers Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown with a sly smile.

Snickers or Milky Way?

“Snickers,” he replied.

At 5-9 and 182 pounds, Boykin doesn’t offer the same physical matchup problems as Asomugha (6-2, 210) and Rodgers-Cromartie (6-2, 182), a pair of physical corners who like to jam receivers at the line of scrimmage.

That can disrupt the timing of an offense and allow the defensive line of the Eagles (3-1) more time to get to the quarterback.

But the Steelers feel like their passing game, which is averaging 284.3 yards per game, matches up with the Eagles well, particularly with Boykin.

Brown leads the Steelers with 18 receptions, while Mike Wallace, another Pro Bowl player, has 17. Tight end Heath Miller is off to the best start of his eight-year career with 15 receptions and four touchdowns in the first three games, while No. 3 receiver Emmanuel Sanders already has 10 catches as well.

“As long as we block stout, (passing) shouldn’t be an issue,” said left tackle Max Starks. “We have a great (core) of receivers that can all get open and make plays. Plus, you add Heath Miller in the middle, and you don’t really have enough guys who can cover. I think it’s going to be a great matchup for us. Outside of Asomugha and Cromartie-Rodgers, their nickel is a rookie. You have some guys who are inexperienced in there. Hopefully, we can get into some sets and be successful in those things.”

Thus far, it’s worked out OK for the Eagles, who rank seventh in the NFL in pass defense, allowing 206.8 yards per game – though that number was somewhat skewed by a 118-yard passing game by Cleveland rookie Brandon Weeden in Week 1, his first career start.

Since then, the Eagles have given up 232 yards and a touchdown to Baltimore’s Joe Flacco, 222 and two scores to Arizona’s Kevin Kolb and 309 yards and two touchdowns to the Giants’ Eli Manning.

The Steelers hope quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who is second in the NFL with a 109.2 passer rating, can be the difference, identifying who Boykin is matched up against and taking advantage of it.

“I know he’s a rookie. In these early games – that’s the only thing you can go by – and the film from the preseason, you can see his athletic ability,” said Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery of Boykin. “He’s getting some valuable experience on the inside right now. He has some great guys to learn from.”

The Steelers feel he still has a lot of learning to do.

“ He’s all right,” said Brown. “He’s given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage.”

Odds and end zones

Every active player on the Steelers’ roster participated in practice Wednesday, including offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert, who missed the previous three practices with a groin injury. ... The Steelers have won 26 of their past 32 games against NFC teams.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...teelers-eagles
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,093 Times in 2,157 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: ...and here come the Steelers shooting off their mouths and acting cocky

I love Antonio Brown.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080
Default Re: ...and here come the Steelers shooting off their mouths and acting cocky

Watch that rookie end up with a couple of picks... Karma is a hell of a thing.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

I hate it

1-2 teams should just shut up and play
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Watch that rookie end up with a couple of picks... Karma is a hell of a thing.
yeah - watch Ben throw a pick 6 now
Old 10-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,093 Times in 2,157 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Surely I missed something. Reading again.

Edit: Antonio Brown is right. Whoever gets the rookie CB needs to take advantage of it.

In fact, that's logical, no? I don't see it as cocky, but maybe it's just me.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Keep this kind of stuff in the locker room, don't let it get in the papers.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,385 Posts
My Mood: Fine

the papers, the papers
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
the papers, the papers
Well-played...I thought about typing that, but didn't think anyone would remember Goodfellas.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Did LeBeau approve his giving away the game plan too?

what kind of smack talk is that anyway? Calling your opponent a candy bar?

let your play do the talking... these yappers do know when you open your mouth to the press that it gets printed and posted, right?