Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 09-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,511 Times in 10,350 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Re: Ryan Mundy fined $21,000 for hit on Darrius Heyward-Bey

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Now to be fair, where is the fine on hitting Ben at the knees or the nasty chop block on Ziggy Hood?? Seems like the commish has B&G colored glasses on.
Amen!!!

My brother turned to me, and asked, "Why does BB not get those calls!?!" The only thing I can think is that the refs think that BB is too big to be injured: "Oh... Ben can take it; he's big & tough." It is simply not right. ANY defender hitting a QB at the knees HAS to be flagged!!!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
Either way you slice it, this is still football, and quite frankly the Raiders should be the last team/orginization that should whine about any type of helmet to helmet hit, they had a player that was intentionally dirty in Jack Tatum, if anyone who was old enogh to remember the hits he put on Swann were far worse than what Mundy put on Heyward-Bay. I have always wondered though, what do they do with all of that money from the fines?
So, who's whining?
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:13 PM   #23
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Amen!!!

My brother turned to me, and asked, "Why does BB not get those calls!?!" The only thing I can think is that the refs think that BB is too big to be injured: "Oh... Ben can take it; he's big & tough." It is simply not right. ANY defender hitting a QB at the knees HAS to be flagged!!!
I do think the refs are reticent to throw flags when it comes to certain QBs because of their unique athletic ability. Vick, for example, gets lit up in the pocket frequently and I rarely see RTP flags thrown for him, his ability to escape and run downfield works against him in the regard. Same with Ben, who officials have seen shrug off dozens of would-be tacklers over the years. It's not fair but its just one of those things
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #24
steelersfan77
Team Captain

Member Number: 10585
My Mood: Breezy

This bullshit won't end until goodell is gone. He'll fine every hit that looks too rough. Mindy isn't paying that fine anyways. I'd rather see Mindy pick up the fine, his teammates, the Rooney's Wii chip in, then see him give up a touchdown there by laying up from the hit. I blame Palmer for throwing it. He put his teammates in a tough position and gambled his health. Most qbs don't fear the ball over the middle nowadays with safety help. Lott, Tatum wouldn't of fit in well with today's game.
steelersfan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:16 AM   #25
Steelersfan4life0655
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2163

no way was this intentional to take bey's head off. just by the pic proves otherwise.
Steelersfan4life0655 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #26
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,586 Times in 5,989 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Darrius Heyward-Bey Has No Hard Feeling Towards Ryan Mundy For Hit

Friday, September 28th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Oakland Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, who was knocked out of the game last Sunday by Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy, said on Friday that he has no hard feelings towards Mundy for the hit, according to the Associated Press.

Despite not having any hard feelings, Heyward-Bey also has no recollection of the hit that left him with a concussion and neck strain. The Raiders receiver spoke to reporters on Friday for the first time since being carted off the field in the fourth quarter and told them that he's seen replays of the hit but otherwise does not remember it.

Heyward-Bey also told reporters that he has since exchanged text messages with Mundy while he was in the hospital and that he told the Steelers the safety that the play was simply a part of the game.

Mundy has since been fined $21,000 by the league for the hit, which he is expected to appeal. Mundy also made it clear after the game that the hit to the head was not intentional.

Heyward-Bey is listed as doubtful on the Raiders Friday injury report and is not expected to play in the Raiders Sunday game against the Denver Broncos.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09...+Depot+Blog%29
Old 10-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
Lady Steel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 16396
Thanked 6,664 Times in 2,544 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Looks like a clean hit to me, too.

Quote:
Heyward-Bey also told reporters that he has since exchanged text messages with Mundy while he was in the hospital and that he told the Steelers the safety that the play was simply a part of the game.
That's right. Sometimes shit happens.
Lady Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #28
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

As for the hit, by today's standards it was a fine-worthy hit. A KO straight to the face that leaves the WR completely unconscious is the exact thing the NFL is trying to prevent (for legal reasons as mentioned). That's in Goodel's world, in the football world that every body knows but him, it was a great hit that ensured an incompletion. I don't know if Mundy could have pulled up or not, but it doesn't matter, in Goodel's world it's still a fine and in the football world that every body knows it's still a good hit.

While on this subject, have you seen the way they are teaching kids to hit these days? It's the exact way I was taught not to hit. I played JR league's, high school, and college, and no coach (or even an assistant) EVER would have allowed someone running around hitting with their heads pointed back and getting their necks cracked backwards. Is there some new science behind this or something that I'm not aware of, or are they really trading head blows for spinal injuries?
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #29
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,323 Times in 3,491 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

Looks like a clean hit to me, too.

That's right. Sometimes shit happens.
helmet to the chin, you don't get knocked out from getting hit in the chest. according to current nfl rules, that's an illegal hit (helmet to helmet). a couple inches lower and it's legal

nfl is trying to stop the occurence of head injuries, and anytime you get a blow severe enough to cause a knockout, that's brain damage to some extent guaranteed
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote