Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
drucifer
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 9518
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: As Steelers struggle, Ben shines

I can't give Ben credit for this W. The fact of the matter is, without the forced fumbles created by the D we'd be staring at an L
drucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
I can't give Ben credit for this W. The fact of the matter is, without the forced fumbles created by the D we'd be staring at an L
Oh, you must not have read the article "Big Ben refuses to let Steelers Collapse" by idiot Hensley. According to him we didn't need a 53 man roster ... just put Ben out there on offense and defense all alone and he'll win it every time!

Ben deserves some credit and he performed well ... but he's not all alone out there.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,545 Times in 5,964 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Ben Roethlisberger remains underrated

By Daniel Jeremiah
Published: October 8, 2012

After watching the Pittsburgh Steelers squeak by the Philadelphia Eagles, 16-14 , on Sunday afternoon, I was reminded of something one league executive told me prior to the start of the season:

"Ben Roethlisberger is the most underrated player in the NFL."

At first thought, it seems odd to say a two-time Super Bowl champion quarterback is underrated, but I'm starting to buy into this theory.

Yesterday was a great example of how Big Ben just doesn't get enough credit for his play. His stat line was very ordinary: 21-for-37 for 207 yards and no touchdowns. When you look at those numbers without watching the game, it's hard to appreciate just how well Roethlisberger played.

Roethlisberger did three things on Sunday that were instrumental in the Steelers ' victory:

1) Buying time in the pocket. This Steelers offensive line is very average; Roethlisberger bails this unit out repeatedly. In Sunday's game, there were numerous times when Pittsburgh's offensive tackles were beat cleanly off the edge, but Big Ben was able to climb up in the pocket and get the ball out. When he had pressure up the middle, he side-stepped, pulled out of tackles or absorbed a hit while getting the ball out of his hand. The Eagles have a very deep and talented pass rush, but they didn't record a single sack.

2) Winning on third down. Roethlisberger showed why he's the NFL's best third-down quarterback during Pittsburgh's game-winning drive. He converted two third-down passes despite the Eagles pinning their ears back and attacking him. His ability to maintain poise, find the open man and deliver an accurate ball is uncanny. As a result of those key conversions, the Steelers not only kicked the game-clinching field goal , they also burned the final 6:33 off the game clock.

3) Protecting the ball. As the Eagles can attest, successful quarterbacking isn't just about the plays you make, it's also about the mistakes you avoid. Michael Vick lost two crucial fumbles for the Eagles , while Roethlisberger didn't record a single turnover. In fact, he has turned the ball over just once this season (a pick in the opening loss to the Denver Broncos ). Decision-making is the most important aspect of quarterback play; all the arm talent in the world isn't worth a thing if you don't know where to throw the football.

Having worked for two AFC North teams (the Baltimore Ravens and Cleveland Browns ), I have a healthy respect for Roethlisberger's talent, but I'm not sure he gets the national attention he deserves. It seems like every time top-tier quarterbacks are discussed, Big Ben is overlooked. Aaron Rodgers , Tom Brady , Drew Brees and the Manning brothers are outstanding, but Roethlisberger absolutely deserves to be in their company.

http://m.nfl.com/news/0ap1000000078482/