Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,023 Times in 4,292 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Polamalu ruled out for Titans game

Polamalu ruled out for Titans game

By Alan Robinson
Published: Monday, October 8, 2012

Troy Polamalu will miss the Steelers’ quick turnaround game Thursday at Tennessee after aggravating the right calf injury that kept him out of two of the team’s first three games.

Polamalu was one of three injured Steelers to return for the 16-14 win Sunday over Philadelphia, but he lasted less than a quarter before reinjuring the calf while driving Eagles receiver Jason Avant out of bounds. Polamalu first injured the calf last season and then reinjured it in the season-opening game in Denver. Running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee) and linebacker James Harrison (knee) played the full game, the first time they have played this season.

“We will evaluate him when we get back from Tennessee,” coach Mike Tomlin said.

Tomlin said outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley’s hamstring injury is not as severe as Polamalu’s, but he is unlikely to play Thursday. Tomlin would not rule Woodley out but, with only three full days between games, it is uncommon for players to return so quickly with such an injury for a Thursday game.

This is the first season the NFL has played a Thursday game during nearly every week of the season. In recent seasons, the Thursday night schedule didn’t begin until midseason and did not involve every team. All 32 NFL teams are playing in a Thursday game or the equivalent this season.

The Steelers (2-2) have played at least one Thursday night game every season since 2006, going 7-1 with the only loss coming at Cleveland in 2009. They are 8-5 overall in Thursday night games dating to 1980.

http://triblive.com/sports/2738139-8...#ixzz28jB3sog3
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Polamalu ruled out for Titans game

As much as i can not stand Mundy wiffing on every important tackle he tries, I hope they rest Troy and he is fully healed by the Ravens game.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
As much as i can not stand Mundy wiffing on every important tackle he tries, I hope they rest Troy and he is fully healed by the Ravens game.
He had the entire offseason to come back fully healed, and couldn't do it. At this point unless Ben goes down and Troy steps in at QB and throws for 300 yards and 2 TD's, Troy isn't likely to do anything this year to earn the giant paycheck he's getting. I'd be perfectly happy if he'd stay healthy, but this is getting ridiculous. News outlets are exploding today with articles claiming this might be the end of his career.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
zsheik22
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
He had the entire offseason to come back fully healed, and couldn't do it. At this point unless Ben goes down and Troy steps in at QB and throws for 300 yards and 2 TD's, Troy isn't likely to do anything this year to earn the giant paycheck he's getting. I'd be perfectly happy if he'd stay healthy, but this is getting ridiculous. News outlets are exploding today with articles claiming this might be the end of his career.
I get a lot of flack for it... Troy is GREAT when he plays, but he is too unreliable anymore. It causes problems never drafting a capable safety because Troy is there.
zsheik22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #5
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsheik22 View Post
I get a lot of flack for it... Troy is GREAT when he plays, but he is too unreliable anymore. It causes problems never drafting a capable safety because Troy is there.
This is it exactly. Yes, when 100% he's top notch in the league. I just can't recall offhand when was the last time this was. Let's not look at drafting a safety high as closing the door on Troy. Let's consider it Mundy Insurance. Anything that keeps him off the field is a good call, IMO.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,023 Times in 4,292 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Troy Polamalu will not play Thursday

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 8, 2012

Steelers safety Troy Polamalu has already been ruled out for Thursday night’s game against the Titans after re-aggravating his right calf injury during Sunday’s win over the Eagles.

Coach Mike Tomlin confirmed at his press conference today that Polamalu will not be ready to get back on the field three days from now.

“He will probably be deemed out this week because of the week itself being a quick turnaround and the nature of the injury,” Tomlin said of Polamalu. “We will evaluate him when we get back from Tennessee. We don’t think he will participate.”

The play on which Polamalu re-injured his calf looked totally routine — he was just running toward the sideline in coverage when all of a sudden he started hopping on his left foot, unable to put any weight on his right calf. It appears that the calf injury was more serious than he or the Steelers realized: They thought he was good to go for the game, but Polamalu only made it through 19 snaps on defense before his calf gave out on him.

Tomlin added that linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who suffered a hamstring injury on Sunday, probably won’t play on Thursday either. He said that both linebacker James Harrison and running back Rashard Mendenhall, who were making their returns from knee injuries on Sunday, came out of the game unscathed and will be good to go against the Titans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...play-thursday/
Old 10-08-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I dont think this injury is the end of a career or career threatening. the problem is, he is injured to much.

Preseaon Eagles game, he never stretched one bit from 5pm till kick off. I sat in a box there with an Eagles exec and a TV Anchor with my family. He joked around, tossed the football, like tossing a football is a requirement for a safety. Not one stretch, not one run, nothing. Sure you can say he stretched before he came on the field? Sure... Which wouldve been 3 hours before kickoff. Not acceptable. One can't make the argument either that Troy knows his body, lol.. considering he is injured constantly. He should know the importance about stretching.

The reports are "its time" because he is constantly breaking down.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
I dont think this injury is the end of a career or career threatening. the problem is, he is injured to much.

Preseaon Eagles game, he never stretched one bit from 5pm till kick off. I sat in a box there with an Eagles exec and a TV Anchor with my family. He joked around, tossed the football, like tossing a football is a requirement for a safety. Not one stretch, not one run, nothing. Sure you can say he stretched before he came on the field? Sure... Which wouldve been 3 hours before kickoff. Not acceptable. One can't make the argument either that Troy knows his body, lol.. considering he is injured constantly. He should know the importance about stretching.

The reports are "its time" because he is constantly breaking down.
I can't remember the details now, but I seem to recall a couple years ago an article where Ikey Taylor and a couple others, who rarely miss games, saying they tried to convince Troy to come with them for their training routines, and Troy basically blew them off. Anyone else remember this? Coupled with all the reports that he does zero warmups or stretches, is he just no longer concerned with his level of health and performance?
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,710 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
This is it exactly. Yes, when 100% he's top notch in the league. I just can't recall offhand when was the last time this was.
really?

he started every game just last year.

anyways, im sure this thread will be flooded with all the twitter docs and message board physicians declaring his career done by the end of the week.

maybe he shoulda just stuck with his own off season training regime by himself w/ mariniovich in socal.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
really?

he started every game just last year.
Yes, really. He started yesterdays game, too. Doesn't mean much if he doesn't last. How many games last year did he start but came out due to injury? Just skimming Google real quick, the answer is more than 1.

And are we really arguing that Troy isn't prone to injury? He hasn't managed to put together two full starting seasons since 2004/2005. And that's only counting starting the full 16 game regular season games. Not including missing playoff starts, or getting knocked out during the game. He's not going to win any iron Man durability awards.

Last edited by Darkstorm05; 10-08-2012 at 03:41 PM.