Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #11
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,340 Times in 3,988 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Haley's effect on Ben

Steelers' passing game shortens up under Haley

OCTOBER 9, 2012
By JOHN DUDLEY, Erie Times-News

PITTSBURGH -- After four games, new coordinator Todd Haley's stamp on the Steelers' offense is becoming clear. Ben Roethlisberger is throwing fewer deep balls and the Steelers are getting fewer big plays. In Sunday's 16-14 win over the Philadelphia Eagles, the Steelers' longest gain from scrimmage was 20 yards.

In their four games, the Steelers have had 12 plays covering 20 or more yards, putting them on pace for 48. They had 60 plays that long in 2011.

Roethlisberger is averaging 7.1 yards-per-pass attempt, nearly a full yard lower than in 2011, and his receivers are averaging 10.8 yards per catch, nearly two full yards below last season.

His 65.6 completion percentage is his highest since 2009.

One by-product of the shorter passing game is that receiver Mike Wallace has been less a focal point of the offense. Although Wallace has three touchdown catches, he caught only two passes for 17 yards Sunday and is averaging 13.2 yards per catch, five yards below his career average.

Wallace didn't speak with reporters after Sunday's game but said last week that he is "excited about the opportunities we're getting in the short passing game, but I'm ready to turn it up a little bit."

Roethlisberger said he understands Wallace's frustration and added that he hopes he remains patient as the new offense evolves.

"It's a frustrating day when you get a great defense because you want to do so much and there are so many plays you feel that you've left out there," Roethlisberger said. "That's what I just told him. We can be frustrated right now, but let's move on. And he'll move on. He'll be fine.

"He's frustrated because he holds himself to a high expectation, high standards. And that's good. You want that."

A more positive by-product of Haley's system is that Roethlisberger seems to be getting better protection. He wasn't sacked at all Sunday and has gone down nine times this season, putting him on pace for 36 sacks, which would be the second-lowest total since his rookie season and only the second time in the past six seasons in which he hasn't been sacked at least 40 times.

"We protected the quarterback," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Keeping Roethlisberger upright was a focal point of the decision to bring in Haley, whose system would allow Roethlisberger to dump off the ball more quickly to receivers on screens and quick outs and let them make plays in space.

A prime example was two plays to Rashard Mendenhall on quick outs, one a designed screen and one a checkdown, that resulted in a touchdown and another in a first down.

Both times Roethlisberger made a quick drop and got rid of the ball right away, never giving the Eagles' pass rush time to clamp down.

The 13-yard touchdown was ruled a lateral because the pass went backward, costing Roethlisberger what could have been one of his longer completions of the game.

"Yeah, I'm going to protest that," Roethlisberger said. "We're in Pittsburgh, so we call it a run."

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...emplate=mobile
Old 10-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Zero sacks v. Philly. Arians would have had Ben in a bodycast. Early in the game, when he threw that little screen to Miller, I openly professed by man love for Todd Haley to my wife.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #13
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I still honestly think that if it wasn't or Arians, this team could have won 3 consecutive super bowls. 08-09-10.

Arians handicapped this team so much.

I am happy with Haley, just would like to see the running game pick it up.
He's working the running game in. He's not going to lose a football game to force the run. His best RB for the first 3 games was the third down and short yardage back with an injury that is obviously slowing him down. We don't know that Mendenhall is 100%. All we know is that he is healthy enough to play and he looks good like himself when he is carrying the ball, good and bad, (tuck the friggen ball away Mendy!). They may still be concerned with running the wheels off of him at this point.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,497 Times in 782 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

VERY GOOD!!!!!
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #15
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,495 Times in 2,335 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Zero sacks v. Philly. Arians would have had Ben in a bodycast. Early in the game, when he threw that little screen to Miller, I openly professed by man love for Todd Haley to my wife.
Bruce "I don't gameplan against defenses" Arians
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #16
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Bruce "I don't gameplan against defenses" Arians
If the defense can put forth that effort for the rest of the year, this is a Super Bowl contender, no doubt.

The early storm has been weathered. Time to hunker down for the 2nd quarter of the season.

maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote