Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 AM   #121
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,206 Times in 2,162 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Re: Jerry Sandusky child sex-abuse trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
if i thought he'd get traded for jello everyday and abused like a goat in the middle east and get shanked every couple weeks, i'd be all for it. but i doubt he'll ever be put in gen pop. he most likely will never get a cell mate. if he does it'll be another sick old pedo. all he'll do till its time for the long dirt nap is cost tax payers money.

At $32,000. A Year Per Inmate, PA Auditor Calls For Alternatives

http://rouletterebel.com/wp/at-32000...r-alternatives
Let everyone out who's in there for possession of pot.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #122
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Fellow Inmates Reportedly Sang “Hey, Teacher, Leave Those Kids Alone” To Jerry Sandusky

Following guilty verdicts on 45 of 48 counts, Jerry Sandusky was shipped off to Centre County Correctional Facility, the same facility he was initially held in December. According to a fellow inmate at the time, known only as Josh, Sandusky was on the receiving end of some a cappella ridiculing.

Other prisoners were barred from communicating directly with Sandusky, but they could see him. And when the lights went out, inmates serenaded the disgraced coach with a famous line from Pink Floyd's "The Wall."

"At night, we were singing ‘Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone,' " Josh said, adding that everyone knew who Sandusky was because inmates had access to television and newspapers.

http://deadspin.com/5920864/fellow-i...jerry-sandusky

Old 06-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #123
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,584 Posts
My Mood: Happy

That's funny shit.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:28 PM   #124
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Let everyone out who's in there for possession of pot.
25% of NJ Prison Inmates are Nonviolent Drug Offenders

http://johnsaddiction.com/4216-25-of...rug-offenders/

Quote:
Twenty five per cent of the prison inmates are non-violent drug offenders. That is a big number. The costs of keeping an inmate in prison are considerable — $44 thousand per year in New Jersey. And according to Levy, 50 per cent of those will re-offend and return to prison.
Quote:
In 2009, New York adopted legislation that decreased its nonviolent prison population by 13 percent. The state saved more than $250 million by diverting nonviolent offenders to alternative sentencing, drug treatment and mental health programs.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #125
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,839 Times in 2,700 Posts

The report by former FBI Director Louis Freeh on the Sandusky scandal is out

The most senior officials at Penn State University failed for more than a decade to take any steps to protect the children victimized by Jerry Sandusky, the longtime lieutenant to head football coach Joe Paterno, according to an independent investigation of the sexual abuse scandal that rocked the university last fall.

“Our most saddening and sobering finding is the total disregard for the safety and welfare of Sandusky’s child victims,” said Louis J. Freeh, the former federal judge and director of the F.B.I. who oversaw the investigation. “The most powerful men at Penn State failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children who Sandusky victimized.” ...

One new and central finding of the Freeh investigation is that Paterno knew as far back as 1998 that there were concerns Sandusky might be behaving inappropriately with children. It was then that the campus police investigated a claim by a mother that her son had been molested by Sandusky in a shower at Penn State.

Paterno, through his family, insisted after Sandusky’s arrest that he never knew anything about the 1998 case. But Freeh’s report asserts that Paterno not only knew of the investigation, but followed it closely
. Local prosecutors ultimately decided not to charge Sandusky, and Paterno did nothing.

Paterno failed to take any action, the investigation found, “even though Sandusky had been a key member of his coaching staff for almost 30 years and had an office just steps away from Mr. Paterno’s.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/13/sp...nstate.html?hp

Joe Pa's knowledge of these crimes in 1998 makes sense - Sandusky suddenly "retired" as defensive coordinator in 1999 and withdrew his name from consideration as HC at Virginia after having been told by Paterno he would never be the HC at Penn State.

Link to the full report here

http://thefreehreportonpsu.com/

I can now see Penn State getting clobbered for this by the NCAA since the motive to cover this up apparently included the Penn State HC's interest in shielding his program. That falls under lack of institutional control over the program.

This is the initial response to the Freeh report by the NCAA

NCAA statement on Penn State
Statement by Bob Williams, Vice President of Communications

“Like everyone else, we are reviewing the final report for the first time today. As President Emmert wrote in his November 17th letter to Penn State President Rodney Erickson and reiterated this week, the university has four key questions, concerning compliance with institutional control and ethics policies, to which it now needs to respond. Penn State’s response to the letter will inform our next steps, including whether or not to take further action. We expect Penn State’s continued cooperation in our examination of these issues.”

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/...20penn%20state
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #126
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Slouching further toward Gomorrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I was unaware that "academia" was attempting to move back the age of consent to promote the "gay agenda" but you never know
You can always count on the unions to be "progressive".

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...sj_share_tweet
Teachers Unions Go to Bat for Sexual Predators
The system to review misconduct is rigged so even abusive teachers can stay on the job.

By CAMPBELL BROWN

By resisting almost any change aimed at improving our public schools, teachers unions have become a ripe target for reformers across the ideological spectrum. Even Hollywood, famously sympathetic to organized labor, has turned on unions with the documentary "Waiting for 'Superman'" (2010) and a feature film, "Won't Back Down," to be released later this year. But perhaps most damaging to the unions' credibility is their position on sexual misconduct involving teachers and students in New York schools, which is even causing union members to begin to lose faith.

In the last five years in New York City, 97 tenured teachers or school employees have been charged by the Department of Education with sexual misconduct. Among the charges substantiated by the city's special commissioner of investigation—that is, found to have sufficient merit that an arbitrator's full examination was justified—in the 2011-12 school year:

• An assistant principal at a Brooklyn high school made explicit sexual remarks to three different girls, including asking one of them if she would perform oral sex on him.

• A teacher in Queens had a sexual relationship with a 13-year old girl and sent her inappropriate messages through email and Facebook.

If this kind of behavior were happening in any adult workplace in America, there would be zero tolerance. Yet our public school children are defenseless.

Here's why. Under current New York law, an accusation is first vetted by an independent investigator. (In New York City, that's the special commissioner of investigation; elsewhere in the state, it can be an independent law firm or the local school superintendent.) Then the case goes before an employment arbitrator. The local teachers union and school district together choose the arbitrators, who in turn are paid up to $1,400 per day. And therein lies the problem.

For many arbitrators, their livelihood depends on pleasing the unions (whether the United Federation of Teachers in New York City, or other local unions). And the unions—believing that they are helping the cause of teachers by being weak on sexual predators—prefer suspensions and fines, and not dismissal, for teachers charged with inappropriate sexual conduct. The effects of this policy are mounting.

One example: An arbitrator in 2007 found that teacher Alexis Grullon had victimized young girls with repeated hugging, "incidental though not accidental contact with one student's breast" and "sexually suggestive remarks." The teacher had denied all these charges. In the end the arbitrator found him "unrepentant," yet punished him with only a six-month suspension.

Another example from 2007: Teacher William Scharbach was found to have inappropriately touched and held young boys. "Respondent's actions at best give the appearance of impropriety and at worst suggest pedophilia," wrote the arbitrator—before giving the teacher only a reprimand. The teacher didn't deny the touching but denied that it was inappropriate.

Then there was teacher Steven Ostrin, who in 2010 was found to have asked a young girl to give him a striptease, harassed students by text, and engaged in sexual banter. The arbitrator in his case concluded that since the teacher hadn't actually solicited sex from students, the charges—all of which the teacher denied—warranted only a suspension.

Michael Loeb, a middle school teacher in the Bronx and UFT member, calls this a "horrible situation," telling me "if you keep these people in the classroom, you are demeaning our profession."

Parents I spoke with described their tremendous fear about what is happening in the classroom. Maria Elena Rivera says her 14-year-old daughter was stalked by one of her Brooklyn high school teachers (who resigned from his position before the Department of Education decided whether to send the case to arbitration). Today her daughter is in counseling, says Ms. Rivera, and doesn't trust anyone: "It so messed her up. I can't protect her."

Local media have begun to get the word out, yet the stories come and go with trifling consequences or accountability. New York City's schools chancellor and districts statewide must have the power to fire sexual predators—and the final say cannot be that of an arbitrator with incentives to lessen the punishment.

Fortunately, state Sen. Stephen Saland has proposed legislation in Albany to do just this, removing arbitrators' final say while still giving teachers due process and the opportunity to appeal terminations in court. But the buck would stop with those officials in charge of our schools and tasked with protecting our kids: the chancellor in New York City, and school districts elsewhere in the state.

Mr. Saland's initiative has little chance of success without union support—which is hardly assured. "I don't understand how they think this could be a gray area," says Natalie Harrington, who teaches English at New Day Academy in the Bronx. "I worry that if the union goes to bat [against] this, it makes it seem like they will do anything to keep anyone in the classroom."

Michael Loeb still supports his union but says it "treats teachers like interchangeable widgets"—defending all teachers no matter what they have done.

The union has reached a moment of truth. With responsible legislation on the table, the right course of action is obvious. At stake is the safety of kids, the reputation of the unions, and the standing of every good and responsible teacher throughout the state.

Ms. Brown, a former news reporter and anchor at CNN and NBC, recently testified on this issue before the New York governor's Education Reform Commission.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #127
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Sandusky's sentence: 30 to 60 years in prison
October 9, 2012 12:20 pm
By Paula Reed Ward / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Less than a day after Jerry Sandusky gave a statement in which he continued to proclaim his innocence and blame others for his conviction on 45 child sex abuse charges, the former Penn State University assistant football coach was sentenced to between 30 and 60 years in prison.

"That has the unmistakable effect of saying you will spend the rest of your life in prison," Senior Judge John M. Cleland said.

Sandusky will remain at the Centre County Correctional Facility for 10 days before being transported to state prison.

PG VIDEO

His attorney, Joe Amendola, has said his client would like to be placed in a general population.

Sandusky spoke for 15 minutes, repeating much of a statement released Monday on a Penn State student radio station.

"Others can take my life and make me out as a monster," Sandusky said. "They can't take away my heart. In my heart I know I did not do these alleged, disgusting acts."

He questioned how his conviction occurred and said often that he continues to have hope and that the truth will eventually come out.

"We're starting the fourth quarter now," he said.

He became emotional only when talking about his family standing by him, and how unbearable his life would become if that were to stop.

"You find out who's committed, who will stand by you," Sandusky said.

Three of Sandusky's victims read statements, and Mr. McGettigan read one from another and from the mother of one more.

The prosecution did not make any request for a specific sentence.

"He will complain there wasn't time enough to prove his innocence," Senior Deputy Attorney General Joe McGettigan said. "There's not time enough in the world for him to prove that lie."

Sandusky was the only one to speak on his behalf. He called no witnesses, although a number of letters in support had previously been submitted to Judge Cleland.

Penn State president Rodney Erickson issued a statement via email after the sentencing.

"Our thoughts today, as they have been for the last year, go out to the victims of Jerry Sandusky's abuse," Mr Erickson said in the statement. "While today's sentence cannot erase what has happened, hopefully it will provide comfort to those affected by these horrible events and help them continue down the road to recovery."

Gov. Tom Corbett, who as attorney general supervised the early stages of the investigation, released his own statement this afternoon.

"These cases are difficult in the best of circumstances," Mr. Corbett said in his statement. "It is to the credit of these investigators, along with the resilience of the victims, resulting in an airtight case, the conviction of 45 crimes -- and now, today's sentence."

Investigators and prosecutors weren't the only people the governor mentioned.

"I want to especially commend the victims in the case, who had the courage to come forward and testify in open court, in spite of tremendous pressure and national publicity," Mr. Corbett said in hiss statement.

In Sandusky's radio statement Monday, the former coach continued to declare his innocence and blamed his conviction on a vast conspiracy.

"A young man who is dramatic and a veteran accuser and always sought attention started everything," he said in the statement. "He was joined by a well-orchestrated effort of the media, investigators, the system, Penn State, psychologists, civil attorneys and other accusers. They won. I've wondered what they really won. Attention, financial gain, prestige will all be temporary."

Even having said that, this morning Sandusky admitted fond thoughts for his accusers.

"These are people I cared about and still do," he said.

Mr. McGettigan called the radio statement "an insult."

"It is an insult to human decency," he said. "The defendant was and is the most insidious of criminals."

Courtroom No. 1 was largely packed by 8:30.

Sandusky's wife, Dottie, entered the room at 8:49 a.m. followed eight minutes later by the victims and their families.

Sandusky entered with his defense team a 8:58, wearing a red jail jumpsuit stamped with "Centre County" on the back. He appeared to be much thinner than during his trial.

A jury found Sandusky guilty on all but three of 48 counts in June following a two-week trial before Judge Cleland.

The most serious among them were involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, indecent assault and endangering the welfare of children.

Prosecutors with the Pennsylvania attorney general's office accused Sandusky of abusing 10 boys across 15 years, sometimes in Penn State facilities.

His conviction included counts related to all 10.

In the months leading up to trial, Mr. McGettigan called Sandusky's charity for youth, Second Mile, "a victim factory."

In the months since being found guilty, Sandusky has remained in the Centre County Correctional Facility in segregation.

Sandusky said he spends his time in jail reading, meditating, writing and exercising.

While the Sandusky criminal case has concluded -- although he has said he will appeal -- prosecutors are now gearing up to try two former Penn State administrators for perjury, accusing them of lying to a grand jury about their knowledge of the accusations against Sandusky.

Athletic director Tim Curley and retired senior vice president for finance Gary Schultz are scheduled for trial Jan. 7 in Harrisburg.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #128
cubanstogie
Head Coach

Member Number: 3082

they should give him one bullet and save tax payers some cash. I expect him to hang himself within a year.
cubanstogie is offline   Reply With Quote