Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #91
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: DEFENSE????

no worries...

troy simply isnt that type of player. he has talked about turning down offers to become an endorsement wh0re in the past, simply because he didnt need all the extra cash. naturally, the head and shoulders gig is too good to pass up and one that will most likely advance his career beyond football.

troy has also not been shy about his dedication to the game and teammates. he wont short change them and has absolutely no problem walking away when the time is right. its simply not in his character to cry wolf just to collect a paycheck.

you note the DC imploring his defenders to play within the system that has worked for 15 years. this is exactly what larry foote was talking about when he said some of the players dont trust lebeau [or the system- implied].

things should get better. troy, james, and woodleys appendages will heal and the younger players will continue to learn...
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #92
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,675 Times in 7,471 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianKustomz View Post
While watching the Texans and Jets game tonight I came across some information I was not aware of. Now I still out a large portion of blame on the defensive coaching (in their words "we are going to try some different things this year...") but I heard a phrase made by a defensive coordinator to a few defensive players. "Come on guys...we have a chance to make these guys into meatballs but you have to run the plays the way I have coached you! It has worked for 15 years. It doesn't fail! I'm begging you...please for god's sake just run the plays I taught you. I'm begging you!"

So I think that sums it up. Apparently there's more to the bad defense then just bad coaching.
Technically, it was RBs coach, Kirby Wilson, saying it to Redman & Rainey... but, the point is the same.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #93
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Kovacevic: Steelers backed into a corner

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Steelers' Ryan Clark directs his frustation over a third quarter penalty towards the referees at Heinz Field Sunday, October 7, 201

There might not be a sadder sight, in this or any other realm, than Superman looking vulnerable.

You should have seen Troy Polamalu dragging along his right leg in a big black boot Tuesday, snailing his way through the Steelers’ headquarters. There still wasn’t any official word on the severity of his aggravated calf injury, but suffice it to say he didn’t need a boot the first time around.

Sad, indeed.

Polamalu isn’t done, as so many seem to be fretting. It’s only a calf injury, he’s 31, and he very much has the will to continue what’s already a Hall of Fame career. Even if the cape is folded up for good, the cerebral Clark Kent brand of No. 43 is better than most any NFL safety out there.

As nickel back Cortez Allen told me Tuesday, “There’s still no one else like him.”

The real question facing the Steelers is how the secondary will get by in the interim, beginning Thursday night in Tennessee.

Think they’re up to it?

I feel that way about Ryan Clark, who’s been terrific apart from a couple notable brain cramps.

But the rest?

Ike Taylor had a fine 2011 right up until he met Demaryius Thomas in Denver, both at the end of last season and the start of this one. Whether those wounded him or not, overall this season, he’s allowed 16 completions on the 29 times his receiver has been the pass target, according to Pro Football Focus. That ranks 134th out of 164 cornerbacks in the NFL.

Yeah, really.

Taylor can play much better, and he knows it.

Keenan Lewis, a first-year starter, has allowed 15 completions on 24 targets. That ranks 157th. And his next official pass defensed will be his first.

Unlike Taylor, no one knows if Lewis can play better. There’s no precedent.

No one knows if Curtis Brown can replace him, either. The franchise’s highest draft pick among defensive backs in the past six years — third round, 2011 — still can’t find his way to the field.

Allen has fit in with the rest, allowing 10 completions on 14 targets. That ranks 115th.

At safety, Mundy has allowed nine completions on 12 targets. That ranks 119th.

Mike Tomlin strongly hinted Monday that he’ll spell Mundy with Will Allen, but that’s hardly the cavalry. Allen, 30, is in his ninth NFL season and hasn’t made a start since Oct. 4, 2009.

Answers, anyone?

Who among these men looks poised to make a difference?

Naturally, all hands will go up.

“With Troy not being there, it’ll be tough, but we strive to pick up our game every week,” Cortez Allen said. “The standard is the standard. We’ll get it done.”

“Even with Troy, we’ve got to get better,” Lewis said.

Lewis is right, of course, as the above numbers illustrate. There’s ample room to improve.

But he also made a point to underscore that the Steelers’ overall pass defense numbers are “pretty good,” and he’s right about that, too: They rank third in the NFL in allowing 185 yards per game. Other than Thomas, no individual receiver has topped 67 yards. In fact, beyond Thomas’ 71-yard catch-and-run in the opener, there has been only one other pass of 25 yards or longer.

“We know the numbers that matter,” Lewis said.

Those are fair points based on hard numbers. I can respect that.

As he and Allen both explained, the gap between the team and individual numbers could be based on the defensive coaches, Dick LeBeau and Carnell Lake, hoping to avoid big plays.

“We’re tackling the catch,” Allen said. “That’s not to say we can’t still do better, but that’s what our focus is.”

And that works just fine in limiting the big plays. But it wasn’t nearly good enough when the Eagles drip-drip-dripped their way to a 17-play, 79-yard drive that nearly gave the Steelers a 1-3 record Sunday.

To echo Allen, the Steelers can do better at this position.

That they haven’t isn’t exactly an accident.

In the six drafts under Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, they’ve picked only eight defensive backs, none in the top two rounds and only one who found sustained work: That was William Gay, class of 2007. He started last season but was held in such low regard that management didn’t lift a pinky to keep him from walking as a free agent afterward.

Most of the rest of the picks are barely worth mentioning. One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts.

And yet, Tomlin and Colbert brought a roster into Latrobe that had no real fail-safe for Polamalu and/or Clark being hurt at safety, and no real replacement for Gay.

The reckoning is at hand.

It might not come against Matt Hasselbeck and a Tennessee offense so plodding that running back Chris Johnson told Nashville reporters this week: “I don’t think we’re close right now.”

It might not even come before Polamalu returns.

But it will come. And there will be Hail Mary to pay.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnist...#ixzz28rdxwgFL
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 AM   #94
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

Since some on here have gotten their jocks in a tangle already, look at it this way. You need 2 things in this era of Roger Cockdell football to win Superbowls. One, franchise Qb, 2 luck. No, not Andrew luck, pure olde luck of perfect timing at the end of the year. Steelers have a franchise Qb, and with the luck the steelers have had recently, how can they not get some good at the end of this. So, we have to wait and see. Stop burying Troy, its a ****ing calf injury, not a amputation.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #95
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

True but I still believe that a defense should not fall to pieces because 1 or two players aren't there. It takes a team to win not a single player. If you do lose then there was a problem to begin with that needed addressing. You should have a defense that compensates when there is a weakness there. The Steelers have done that for a few years now consecutively but they are broken this year. There is a huge hole where Troy and Clark should be. One person should not make the defense. That actually shows how weak the new players really are. As stated above in the interview "One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts" and "There is no fail safe setup for Troy or Clark"? Is our defense really that weak that without Troy we have a weak defense? Is the defense really that pathetic? So far it seems to be true because Thursdays game against the Titans proved my point over and over and over again.

Come on Pittsburgh! Straighten up! Your letting us fans down this year!
P.S. the Baltimore fans are really a mean natured and aggressive fans. I am sick of hearing them bash my team this year.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristianKustomz For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #96
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
True but I still believe that a defense should not fall to pieces because 1 or two players aren't there. It takes a team to win not a single player. If you do lose then there was a problem to begin with that needed addressing. You should have a defense that compensates when there is a weakness there. The Steelers have done that for a few years now consecutively but they are broken this year. There is a huge hole where Troy and Clark should be. One person should not make the defense. That actually shows how weak the new players really are. As stated above in the interview "One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts" and "There is no fail safe setup for Troy or Clark"? Is our defense really that weak that without Troy we have a weak defense? Is the defense really that pathetic? So far it seems to be true because Thursdays game against the Titans proved my point over and over and over again.

P.S. the Baltimore fans are really a mean natured and aggressive fans. I am sick of hearing them bash my team this year.
THIS^^^

We have the talent (and allegedly the coaching) to have if not a "shut down" D then at least a defense solid enough to win a game in which we score 23 points. It's fine if a player like Troy or Woodley makes us "even better", but we should still be able to take care of business when they're hurt instead of basically folding our tents and hoping for a miracle.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #97
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:

Speaking of the Ravens...the one thing i would like to see, is our defense take the field each and every time with that rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, hyped up attitude that they almost always have. I'd LOVE to see that.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #98
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
Speaking of the Ravens...the one thing i would like to see, is our defense take the field each and every time with that rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, hyped up attitude that they almost always have. I'd LOVE to see that.
I hear ya' dude.

But to be perfectly honest, the last time I really saw that kind of fire -- I mean REALLY saw it was when we had Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd terrorizing QB's.

It's been there off and on a few times since, but I've yet to see that kind of intensity in any recent version of our defense.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 PM   #99
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

I second that. Fire and frost thirsty, slap your dog and lick your teacher mad! Lol. But I do agree...we need some kind of passion!
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #100
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Ed: More Sacks Might Mean More Picks

TUESDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

The Steelers have two interceptions through five games. This, after they managed just 11 all last season, tying their all-time low in their modern history, which began in 1969.

Their pace this season, then, would be their all-time low of six. Six interceptions! They’ve had more than that in one game – 7 vs. the Kansas City Chiefs in 1974, on the road to boot (that’s another issue for another day, playing on the road). Jack Butler once intercepted four passes in a game in 1953 against the Washington Redskins (again on the road). Mel Blount holds the team record with 11 in the 1975 seasons and three others have had 10, including Butler and fellow Hall of Famer Bil Dudley.

Maybe you have to be a Hall of Fame cornerback to intercept passes. No one is suggesting there are any at cornerback on this team. There isn’t even a Pro Bowl cornerback and hasn’t been since Rod Woodson left. It’s the biggest drought at Pro Bowl at any position on the team.

If they are hitting you smack in the hands with no one else around and you still can’t pick them off, is there any hope? Why would anyone think they’ll suddenly turn into pass thieves this season after they hit their all-time low last season? Here’s why: They intercepted 21 passes in 2010. Of course, they also had 48 sacks that season (compared to just 35 last season). Ryan Clark is among those who believe the two go hand in hand.
“As the pressure increases and as we’re able to get to the quarterback, move him off a spot and rattle him, we’ll have more opportunities for interceptions,’’ Clark told me yesterday.

The question thus becomes, will that happen? Can they get to the quarterback? They have 12 sacks in five games. That comes to 38 sacks, not much more than last season. If they cannot get more pressure on the quarterback, don’t look for more interceptions. Even though they went 12-4 last season with only 35 sacks and 11 interceptions, it will be hard for them to duplicate that record if they don’t turn up the heat on defense in this one.

Onto some stuff:

--- No defense has been hit harder than Baltimore’s. They managed to go 5-1 without Terrell Suggs, but without Ray Lewis and cornerback Ladarius Webb, no defense has been hit harder. Steelers fans won’t feel sorry for them, but there has to be empathy, knowing what the Steelers defense has and is going through the past two seasons with injuries.

--- No, Ike Taylor is not going to be benched. You have to have someone to replace him and the Steelers cannot come close. If Mike Tomlin were going to bench a cornerback, he would have done so in 2009 when he promised changes in the lineup and then made none other than to his nickel cornerback.

--- The dropped pass by Keenan Lewis that likely cost the Steelers a victory in Tennessee, recalled the drop pass by Joe Burnett that cost the Steelers a victory against Oakland in that 2009 season and thus a playoff spot. Burnett seemed to be a promising rookie cornerback at the time, a fifth-round draft pick. However, that dropped interception on Dec. 6 was among the last things he would do in the NFL. He was among the Steelers final cuts before the 2010 season. He played for the Jacksonville sharks of the UFL in 2011 and is now on the roster of the CFL Edmonton Eskimos, where on July 20 he set a team record with a 108-yard interception return.

Your questions:

--- YOU: Probably meaningless, but there has been a recent change in listed positions on the Steelers.com roster. Colon is now listed as T and Pouncey is listed as C/G. It wasn't like that just a few days ago.
http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html

ME: You, sir, are spending way too much time on the computer. No, a glitch, most likely.

--- YOU: Enjoyed your article on Steeler books, especially a forthcoming book on Chuck Noll. Is there any way to petition NFL Network/Films to produce Chuck Noll A Football Life? If they can produce episodes with a known cheater in Belichek and an accessory to murder in Ray Lewis, they should make one with a class act like Chuck. I believe he has never got his due because he never wanted the limelight like John Madden or Jimmy Johnson. What are your thoughts?

ME: I don’t think the NFL Network recognizes much exists from the 20th century. That, by the way, was Chuck’s choice not to seek the limelight and he was very happy out of it. He did make the Pro Football Hall of Fame as the only coach with four Super Bowl victories.

--- YOU: Hi, Ed. I know this was a long time ago and Steelers’ fans tend to have short memories, but in ’95 the team was 3-4 after 7 games and made it to the Super Bowl. At 2-3, do you see this team being able to turn it around and have a successful season? I don’t see the leadership on the team in’12 that there was in ’95. Thanks!

ME: yes, they can do it. Will they, is the question. How do you like Baltimore this morning at 5-1 but with all those injuries? I don’t know about a Super Bowl, but the AFC North is wide open. People keep bringing up “leadership” as if that’s a problem. I know of no lack of leadership on this team. That’s an easy excuse for people to use.

--- YOU: Where are the new impact players needed to sustain the traditional level of Steeler line play?
ME: They have yet to make an impact. Remember that 3-4 defensive lineman rarely make big plays, but so far the ordinary ones are not being made as consistently either.

--- YOU: What do you have to say about what seems to be recurring injuries to Pouncy, Mendenhall, Polamalu and even Harrison and Woodley?

ME: That they play football and injuries occur.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ean-more-picks