Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 10-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Tackling the catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Or ignore the fact that opposing QBs have a 100.9 rating against this defense (25th in the league), 62.4% completion rate (18th in the league), thrown only 1 INT (28th in the league), been sacked 8 times (24th in the league), thrown 8 TD passes (19th in the league).

The defense is allowing 22.2 points a game (16th) while the offense is #2 in TOP.

If the offense goes into a slump and has a series of 3 and outs, do you trust this defense?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Also ignore the fact that most of the teams that had an early bye are filling in the top slots, because they have an entire game missing in these totals. Look at something meaningful, like points scored against us per game, where we rank 16th in the league. We're averaging 23 points against us per game.

I don't care if we've only given up 9 passing yards the entire season, the points we've given up is what matters most. Our W-L record reflects this.
I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown. The topic of the thread is that the tackle the catch philosophy, which LeBeau has always used, including last year when they led the league in yards and points, is all of a sudden terrible because of two bad games in the first quarter of the season. Not only is the idea shortsighted, but it's a knee-jerk reaction after only 4 games. Should they be playing better? Yes, and they probably will. But does that mean that all of a sudden the scheme that has worked since LeBeau has been here no longer works just because one offense scores 34 points and another scored 25? I'm inclined to let the remainder of the season dictate that, especially when they have yet to play a game with their two starting safeties and James Harrison just got back.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown. The topic of the thread is that the tackle the catch philosophy, which LeBeau has always used, including last year when they led the league in yards and points, is all of a sudden terrible because of two bad games in the first quarter of the season. Not only is the idea shortsighted, but it's a knee-jerk reaction after only 4 games. Should they be playing better? Yes, and they probably will. But does that mean that all of a sudden the scheme that has worked since LeBeau has been here no longer works just because one offense scores 34 points and another scored 25? I'm inclined to let the remainder of the season dictate that, especially when they have yet to play a game with their two starting safeties and James Harrison just got back.
I never said Dick LeBeau sucked and that all DBs need to be cut. That's a silly strawman argument on your part.

Last year's ranking was nice, but we played maybe the worst group of QBs one could hope to face.

And don't give me what we did against Brady. He put up 200 yards and 2 TD's in 20 minutes of football. Our offense won that game by controlling the ball for 40 minutes.

Bottom line, it's not working this year. Why no adjustments? Seems we roll out the same players and schemes and just tell them to play better. Well, it's hard to cover when you're back in zone and not rushing the passer. They adjusted after the first two drives against the Jets and it was great. Press coverage, attacking the pocket, which I argue is aided when the QB can't simply throw to a wide open underneath receiver.

If we play passive defense we'll get chewed up by the better QBs, even some that are not so hot.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,360 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post

If we play passive defense we'll get chewed up by the better QBs, even some that are not so hot.
and if we play aggressive press coverage we will get eaten alive deep by speedy wr's.

pick your poison.

maybe if lebeau just starts playing madden he will figure it out like all these internet coordinators.

anyways this thread reminds me of all the brilliant fans who said william gay was garbage and the worst CB in the entire league last 2-3 years and how anyone on our roster could do better than him. now he is 4-1 and fans wish we had someone better. HA!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,023 Times in 3,356 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i wouldn't say william gay is garbage but i do think cortez allen is an upgrade over him
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,700 Times in 5,630 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I was not ignoring anything. I was pointing out positive statistics so that they don't get swept under the rug during the "Dick LeBeau sucks and every defensive back on the roster needs to be cut" parade that occurs every time the other team scores a touchdown.
you are such a drama queen, exaggerate much?

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...
Old 10-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,360 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
you are such a drama queen, exaggerate much?

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...
there is a very lengthy thread or 2 where that is the central theme though, and so many knee jerkers participate and chime in with their bridge jumping frustrations, its hard to differentiate or remember who the main culprits are.

their ranst through 3-4 games are all pretty much the same, video game garbage suggesting our 4.54 CB's should play bump n run with 4.34 WR's.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,700 Times in 5,630 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
there is a very lengthy thread or 2 where that is the central theme though, and so many knee jerkers participate and chime in with their bridge jumping frustrations, its hard to differentiate or remember who the main culprits are.

their ranst through 3-4 games are all pretty much the same, video game garbage suggesting our 4.54 CB's should play bump n run with 4.34 WR's.

where and when did anyone suggest that everyone of our defensive backs should be cut?
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i wouldn't say william gay is garbage but i do think cortez allen is an upgrade over him
I would concur, except I will say Gay was garbage. Yea, he eventually managed to string together like 3 games without costing us a loss, but that doesn't make him good.

I still say Ike is an OK CB. Ideally, I think if we can grab one "Great" CB, and move Ike to our 2nd CB, we'd be fine. If Troy turns out to be done, then we see what Allen can do, but might need a Safety in the mix, as well.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,914 Times in 986 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
I would concur, except I will say Gay was garbage. Yea, he eventually managed to string together like 3 games without costing us a loss, but that doesn't make him good.

I still say Ike is an OK CB. Ideally, I think if we can grab one "Great" CB, and move Ike to our 2nd CB, we'd be fine. If Troy turns out to be done, then we see what Allen can do, but might need a Safety in the mix, as well.
No "might."
We need a safety added to the mix.
I'd like to see Allen get more plays this week; I've seen enough of Mundy.
He hits hard but late. He gets juked a lot. Gets the dropsies on possible picks.
FrancoLambert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancoLambert For This Useful Post:
SteelMusic (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 24,443 Times in 9,906 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
No "might."
We need a safety added to the mix.
I'd like to see Allen get more plays this week; I've seen enough of Mundy.
He hits hard but late. He gets juked a lot. Gets the dropsies on possible picks.
Agreed... and luckily, next year is the year of the safety (Robert Lester, Eric Reid, TJ McDonald, Matt elam, yadda...).

I'd like to see Robert Golden get more plays (as opposed to Will Allen). Wait... did you mean Cortez Allen?... if so, I agree 100% with this post. More Cortez; more Golden; more Reid. Done.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote