Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Ben about to pass Terry in yards

To bad for Terry. Ben could've said, well I want to win 3 Superbowls so i dont piss off Terry?lol Or he could've said... "Hold on let me call TB and ask him how many I'm ALLOWED to win?"

That POS Flacco is the King of Pass Interference calls, the only thing he is smart with is, he can see where to pick onand just slings it up. You watch, he will be tossing it up for grabs when our shut down corner Ike Taylor is on Smith. Ike will get 2-3 PI's the first game we meet.

Regardless of how the game changed, he is still passing for a ton of yards with what wouldve still have been a run first offense when he first came out.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #12
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,762 Times in 6,054 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Who's No. 1: Ben or Bradshaw?

THURSDAY, 11 OCTOBER 2012
WRITTEN BY BOB SMIZIK

With the news yesterday that Ben Roethlisberger is perhaps a game away from surpassing Terry Bradshaw’s Steelers record for career passing yards, the obvious follow-up is this:

Which of the two is the greater quarterback?

It might seem an impertinent question, what with Bradshaw not only long ago enshrined in Canton but a legend of the first order, and with Roethlisberger not much more than a hair beyond the mid-point of his career.

Bradshaw is the good ol boy who charms us every Sunday on Fox as a celebrity TV analyst and, of course, the four-time Super Bowl winner -- in four attempts -- on a team that is among the few in the discussion for the greatest ever.

Roethlisberger brings no such charisma to the table. He has an off-field history he’s trying to live down and only his harshest critics would say he’s not doing a good job of it. Someone just meeting up with the post-2010 Roethlisberger might see him as something approaching a good ol boy, although not with the thick Bradshaw charm.

But this discussion is not about personality, it’s about playing. And the answer to the question posted about is a no-brainer.

As someone who knew Bradshaw well and Roethlisberger somewhat less so put it, ``If Ben had played in the '70s, there would have been seasons when they never lost a game.’’

This is no knock at Bradshaw. He’s a legitimate Hall of Famer. He also had what is arguably the greatest supporting cast in NFL history. He had four Hall of Fame players with him on offense -- Franco Harris, Mike Webster, John Stallworth and Lynn Swann. He had four on defense -- Joe Greene, Mel Blount, Jack Ham and Jack Lambert. And he had most of them for every one of his NFL seasons and all of his Super Bowls.

Roethlisberger has won his two Super Bowls with an ever-changing supporting cast that hasn’t been nearly as good. And that’s not to put down some of Roethlisberger’s teammates. He’s had great ones. But not eight other Hall of Famers for almost every season.

Here’s a large difference in the two.

When the Steelers were winning their first two Super Bowls, Bradshaw, in his fifth and sixth NFL seasons, was little more than along for the ride. Sure, he had his moments. But those first two Super Bowl were built on the back of the greatest defense of all time and a devastating running game.

When Roethlisberger was a rookie, the Steelers went 15-1 and he started 13 of those games. In his second year, they won the Super Bowl. Like Bradshaw, he was not the focal point of those offenses, but he stepped up in the 2005 playoffs, a second-year player, and gave the world an idea of what was to come. After that, he was the show. It took Bradshaw seven years to get to that level.

The numbers clearly favor Roethlisberger, who’s already thrown 168 more completions in 431 fewer attempts than Bradshaw. More significantly, Bradshaw threw two more touchdowns than interceptions in his career, 212-210. Roethlisberger has thrown 72 more touchdowns than interceptions 173-101.

But the numbers are not a fair way to evaluate the two. They played in different eras.

Roethlisberger is the master of the fourth-quarter comeback. When he doesn’t pull a game out, it’s news. With Bradshaw it was the other way. When he did, it was news.

No quarterback’s star will ever shine brighter in Pittsburgh than Bradshaw’s. But when it comes to playing the position, he’s No. 2 to Roethlisberger.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-ga...b-smiziks-blog
Old 10-11-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Ben should invite Terry to come watch him break his record - - that would be a hoot!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Ben Roethlisberger says Terry Bradshaw's words hurt

"We haven't talked," Roethlisberger said of Bradshaw. "I've never had an issue [with him]. He said a bunch of things in the past about me; it hurts a little bit when you think about family, but I've never been one to say anything to him or at him."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl
Not that it matters (IMO Terry Bradshaw has become an attention wh*re), but I thought they made up when Bradshaw interviewed Ben before the Green Bay Super Bowl

But maybe not - sounds like Bradshaw does not think modern passers breaking old records is any big deal - wonder if his record going down provides some context for these comments

Terry Bradshaw rips Drew Brees, Saints for approach to breaking Johnny Unitas' record

"I was a little upset that (Brees) went to the NFL to get (suspended coach Sean) Payton and everybody back to watch him break a record," Bradshaw said in an interview with WFAN in New York. "I'm like, 'Are you kidding me?' I never would have gone and asked for them back ... I thought it was disrespectful to the San Diego Chargers. ... So break it, go ahead. Hell, you're throwing it 50 times a game ...

"(The record) didn't blow me away," Bradshaw said. "I'm not much on that stuff ... I'm not into records, fellas. I'm just into winning football games. (The Saints) hadn't won a game ... I'm not into records, I'm into winning Super Bowls ... These things aren't important. We lose sight of why we play. We play to win and to win championships, not to break records."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...ecord/1625289/
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

high passing yardage these days do not impress me much. sorry.
NFL is all about high offensive stats. has been for years.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #16
kan_t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 21653

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Terry's also ahead by a mile in "HOF teammates".
This. Having an all-time great defense and a HOF RB sure help. Also the QB position was not as important back in 70s.
kan_t is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Some media seem to be trying to stir up some shit around Ben and Bradshaw...

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...radshaws-words

Really, why does this stuff need to be dug up again?
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_t View Post
This. Having an all-time great defense and a HOF RB sure help. Also the QB position was not as important back in 70s.
Don't forget two HOF WR's. Super Bowl highlights are chock full of Swann and Stallworth making circus catches and long runs.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,454 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Don't forget two HOF WR's. Super Bowl highlights are chock full of Swann and Stallworth making circus catches and long runs.
that was prolly equivalent of ben having fitzgerald and megatron on the team with adrian peterson as rb lol
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #20
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
that was prolly equivalent of ben having fitzgerald and megatron on the team with adrian peterson as rb lol
And a wall of protection like Brady used to get before this year at least. My dad used to marvel how big the pocket was for Terry.

In TB's defense, it was much harder to throw back then. Rules changes have helped modern QB's immensely.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote