Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #31
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Tackling the catch

I don't know exactly what people want. We are not going to have many shutouts. The Eagles only scored 14 points. FOURTEEN. Not exactly a big whiff by the defense. They made some game saving fumbles happen when they needed them. I agree that the Steelers should play more press coverage. Just mix it up a bit. Especially on third down. I think they should be in the grills of the opposing WRs on third down. And send Timmons to add some pressure. He looked good last week. I hope he continues to play like he did last week. He looked like a beast.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I don't know exactly what people want. We are not going to have many shutouts. The Eagles only scored 14 points. FOURTEEN. Not exactly a big whiff by the defense. They made some game saving fumbles happen when they needed them. I agree that the Steelers should play more press coverage. Just mix it up a bit. Especially on third down. I think they should be in the grills of the opposing WRs on third down. And send Timmons to add some pressure. He looked good last week. I hope he continues to play like he did last week. He looked like a beast.
I loved the plan for the most part against Philly. Timmons unleashed was a beautiful thing. I just wish our big physical corners were allowed to play that way. We still give up too many completions and always seem to have trouble holding leads in the 4th. One INT this year because the receiver fell down in Oakland. It's a defense that is not at all disruptive. Need to force more TO's. Guys are going to fumble like Vick did every week.

Nice to see Worilds coming from the strong side, too. He seems to do better over there.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
such as what games?

better things have also happened when we have players like woodley, troy, clark, harrison all in the lineup.

people seem to think they are just interchangable parts.

those who are criticizing lebeaus scheme, may be giving it more credit that it actually deserves.

its not like he can just roll out 11 slapdick college players and expect the same results.
So if the scheme only works when there are several pro bowlers playing, is it really the scheme? Why can't he find a way to scheme pressure when he doesn't have all of those stars at his disposal?
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
I don't mind the strategy against your average team (for instance the Titans this week), we can make it work. Against teams like the Patriots, Giants, maybe even the Ravens now as much as I hate to say it, I'd hope to see more of the man coverage gameplan LeBeau brought to the Pats game last year.
Eh, that scheme kept stiffs like Blaine Gabbert and Kerry Collins' teams in the game last year. I say when you play these stiffs is the perfect time to attack and fluster them into mistakes, not sit back and give them easy completions.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #35
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,893 Times in 4,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Why can't he find a way to scheme pressure when he doesn't have all of those stars at his disposal?
because its real life, not a video game.

the poles had a fantastic calvary, and a brilliant scheme with some of the most valiant men with heart to protect their land, but unfortunately they were no match for the german tanks in WWII.

after getting slaughtered despite the heart, effort, and "gameplan" they were rewarded with nothing but a bunch of "dumb pollack" jokes.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #36
FanSince72
Team Owner

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 2,052 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
because its real life, not a video game.

the poles had a fantastic calvary, and a brilliant scheme with some of the most valiant men with heart to protect their land, but unfortunately they were no match for the german tanks in WWII.

after getting slaughtered despite the heart, effort, and "gameplan" they were rewarded with nothing but a bunch of "dumb pollack" jokes.

Well this is one Polack who can do without the analogies and colorful anecdotes and would just like to see our defense coming OFF the field after an opponent's 3rd and long instead of sending more "cavalry" ONTO the field to defend against our opponent's new set of downs.

Oh and it would be nice to maybe play a game where we DON'T give up an 80-yard drive late in the 4th quarter too!
I mean I know doing that has become a sort of tradition lately but still...
FanSince72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #37
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Bob Labriola a few weeks back relayed an interesting anecdote regarding quality of scheme versus quality of players. Back in the 90s, in one season, I don't remember which, both Rod Woodson and Carnell Lake were holding out, but they ended their holdouts on the same day. When Labriola asked LeBeau after practice how he felt about getting those guys back, he said something like "I just became a lot smarter of a coach".
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #38
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
you are such a drama queen, exaggerate much?

nobody in this thread said anything close to that...
That was intended as hyperbole, of course. However, this thread doesn't exist in a vacuum, either. It's an example of an obvious trend.

Last edited by Steelersfan87; 10-11-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #39
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

The maligned Steelers D is actually ranked 5th in the league overall.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,551 Times in 5,969 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
That was intended as hyperbole, of course.
If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, resist hyperbole.