Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
Raw Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 15349
My Mood: Tired
Default Tomlin's stock dropping

The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,268 Times in 641 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin's stock dropping

This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. Tomlin just got bought out by Big ben and he saved his ass more then normal. It almost cost the Steelers in the Super Bowl. The year before, lost to Jags in the last min. in 2010 afc title game, almost blew that game. I mean, this isnt isolated, this is a trend. It just shows more now because we do not have the horses to cover it. Tomlin's close out coaching is absolutely terrible.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raw Steel View Post
The decision to kick the 54-yard field goal was a bad one. We all know Suisham can make that kick, but you have to look at the consequences if you miss in a tie game. It's different when it's the third quarter or early in the game. The field position was basically a short field with a defense who just gave up an 80-yard drive to a team who had the longest streak in the NFL without an 80+ yard touchdown drive. It's interesting how Tomlin didn't trust his defense a couple weeks back, but that didn't affect his decision this time around.

I really have to question his football IQ. Too many bad decisions over the years.

Finally, I hated when people said this but they always said Tomlin won with Cowher's players but I am starting to think that might have been the case, The talent-level on this team has taken a major step back. Part of that is on Colbert and the scouts. But it falls on Tomlin as well.

I hope this is just a slump. But I have seen a very undisciplined team, a very soft defense and a very unfocused offense and underachieving offense. Oh, yeah and pretty bad special teams that actually was the difference in the game.

Maybe we need a 6-10 season to wake everyone up in the organization.

I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
I agree i would have punted; but it is quite obvious he does not trust the d. He doesn't look too bright right now.

I don't punt. My best player is number 7, and the strength of the team at wr. You go for it on 4th down there to get the first down, put yourself in field goal range and run the clock down to nothing. If you make the first down, the worst case is that you're going to overtime if your kicker misses an manageable kick. If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Chadmagic
Banned

Member Number: 17433

The good thing about going 6-10 this year is higher draft picks.
Chadmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
This 4th quarter collapsing started a long time ago. .
you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #7
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,268 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
you mean like when jerome bettis retired?

-DRAFT LENDALE WHITE!!!!

Here comes Mr Contrarian again. Do you just go around and tell everyone the exact opposite of what they say?
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,954 Times in 4,537 Posts

did you just call yourself an asshole?
Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #9
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

I really do think the idea to go with a FG was a bad idea. I love Tomlin, I think he's a great coach - and I think Suisham is an above average kicker who has quietly done his share to help the team since he's been here - but he just kicked a 52-yarder in the previous drive. Given the circumstances (4th quarter with some time remaining, timeouts, and a chance to pin the Titans deep into their own territory), I'd probably have to say after weighing out all of the options, punting probably would have been the best course of action. In fact, I might have been more inclined to have at least gone for it on 4th down (perhaps a fake punt?)

We're losing a lot of awfully close games that honestly should never have been that close to begin with. The Steelers season isn't over by any stretch of the imagination, but this loss obviously didn't help - we can't seem to win on the road, at all - and unless the team identifies and corrects what is going wrong, the hole is only going to get deeper.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #10
AndyWitmyer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 14802
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbelieve View Post
I don't punt. My best player is number 7... If you don't get the 1st down, you're no worse off they they ended up being anyway.
This was pretty much my humble opinion on the matter. Not that I think anyone honestly cares what my order of preference might have been...but, honestly...if given a choice between these three possibilities, I'd have put going for a 54 yd FG as a distant third...attempting a 4th down conversion with Ben would have been my first 1st choice, followed by a punt.

Oh well - c'est la vie! There's always next game.