Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #31
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,864 Times in 2,978 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin's stock dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
I can't vouch for OX, but I'm pretty certain that Tony is a Ravens fan.

In fact, I've heard Tony tell tales of riding in a limo, during SuperBowl week, about twelve years ago... allegedly.

His 30,000 posts is merely to throw us off if his scent.

really, I took tony for more of a Dallas Cowboys fan...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:27 AM   #32
steelfan23

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
I started being disappointed with Tomlin shortly after I realized how bad Arians was. Arians --about half way through the first season; Tomling about 4 games later. Tomlin hasn't changed my mind yet. He's a poser.
I was willing to give him more of a leash. We did win a SB after all That said, he has awful game management skills. He may be a players coach but it is to his detriment. He keeps players in the starting lineup that should be on the pine i.e. Keisel, Hampton this year and Gay for several. I don't lay much blame on Colbert. He addressed all our needs but Tomlin won't play these guys. The real proof to me is that he is supposed to be a defensive back minded coach and our units are consistently bad. Not a single db from his regime could start on any other team. I am sure he has a lot of input on the players that are drafted at the corner position so either he is awful at scouting, player development, or both. I get the sense that Tomlin doesn't game plan at all as evidenced by our flat performances over the years. Now this is gonna rub people the wrong way but, him being black gets him a free pass with the media, especially football pundits who all happen to be black. We are basically stuck with him forever, mark my words. He will never be fired. All we can hope for is for him to finally just resign...but good luck with that

Passing on that third down and the subsequent FG attempt should have been enough to wake up the Rooneys but like I said, their stuck with him now.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Pirate (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #33
jiminpa
Starter

Member Number: 20511

Why would he resign? Either he knows how far in over his head he is and can't afford to lose the job, or he doesn't know how far over his head he is and thinks he has no need to resign. He doesn't seem to have the depth of being to actually question himself. I could be wrong about the depth of being though, that may just be his public persona. I basically see him as an actor playing the role of the Steelers head coach in an improvisation.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM   #34
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,284 Times in 1,290 Posts

Tonys just "padding his stats".

Theres plenty of blame to go around all the way from the water boy to Tomlin.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #35
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Tomlin's completely safe......but i think for the 1st time in his Pittsburgh career, he's starting to sweat bullets. Being a winner here is not "automatic" and he needs to turn it around and turn it around quickly
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #36
kwpit79
Water Boy

Member Number: 16028

Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh. I'll just say this, I'm glad none of you here run the Steelers. I'm assuming you're the same people who wanted to get rid of Cowher after the '98-00 seasons as well because those teams were MUCH worse than our current squad.

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. ;)

I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach. Every single coach you look at is going to have flaws on his resume. Tomlin's winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself. Hint: It's better than the following: Bill Walsh, Bill Belicheat, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Sean Payton, and is currently tied with Paul Brown.

Every team goes through rebuilding years, I'm afraid we're probably at that point. This is what happens when you draft 22-32 seemingly every year. The difference between a typical rebuilding year for the the Steelers' and a lot of other teams is we go 8-8 or 9-7, not 4-12.

Edit: Oh, and another thing regarding the fact Tomlin inherited a good team. So what? He took that good team to two Super Bowls, and was two terrible turnovers away from winning both. Name me one good coach (ONE!) who didn't have good players surrounding him.
kwpit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwpit79 For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #37
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79 View Post
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh. I'll just say this, I'm glad none of you here run the Steelers. I'm assuming you're the same people who wanted to get rid of Cowher after the '98-00 seasons as well because those teams were MUCH worse than our current squad.

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach.

Every team goes through rebuilding years, I'm afraid we're probably at that point. This is what happens when you draft 22-32 seemingly every year. The difference between a typical rebuilding year for the the Steelers' and a lot of other teams is we go 8-8 or 9-7, not 4-12.
Exactly.....been telling all the haters this all along...

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 AM   #38
steelfan23

Member Number:

For Tomlin apologists I just want to know a few things. Is he good at time management i.e. when to use time outs, challenge plays, manage field position, execution of end of quarter plays? To me the answer is a resounding no. Is he a good evaluator of talent? Well, being a db minded coach he has been a part of a Steelers organization that has failed to field a competent db since he started here. Is he a good x and o's coach? Well, it's really hard for any of us to truly know but based on how our team never makes adjustments, sticks with what doesn't work, and gets outcoached pretty much every time the team plays against a team with a good head coach and QB I say no.

So media praising aside, I mean, Dungy gets praised all the time and that guy is maybe the most overrated coach of all time, what has Tomlin done or what is he so good at that makes any of you think he is a good coach? He went to that first SB based largely on a ready made team with a franchise type QB, a veteran Lebeau led defense against a weak SB opponent. We lucked out in that SB plain and simple btw. We deserve the win but could have easily have lost. We were clearly outplayed and outcoached against GB.

My concern is that the NFL moved to a passing league big time in the time since ARI SB. We happed to luck out and have a good core of offensive weapons yet we are not a prolific offense. We see this trend happening and in all those years we (until this draft) failed to really address the offensive line which would help turn us into a passing team with a better chance of success, and we fail to shore up our secondary which even against ARI was woefully unprepared to compete and obvious to the rest of the league.

Sure Colbert has a part in this but Tomlin does as well. So again, please provide concrete examples of his greatness.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #39
jb500ex
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24020

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfan23 View Post
For Tomlin apologists I just want to know a few things. Is he good at time management i.e. when to use time outs, challenge plays, manage field position, execution of end of quarter plays? To me the answer is a resounding no. Is he a good evaluator of talent? Well, being a db minded coach he has been a part of a Steelers organization that has failed to field a competent db since he started here. Is he a good x and o's coach? Well, it's really hard for any of us to truly know but based on how our team never makes adjustments, sticks with what doesn't work, and gets outcoached pretty much every time the team plays against a team with a good head coach and QB I say no.

So media praising aside, I mean, Dungy gets praised all the time and that guy is maybe the most overrated coach of all time, what has Tomlin done or what is he so good at that makes any of you think he is a good coach? He went to that first SB based largely on a ready made team with a franchise type QB, a veteran Lebeau led defense against a weak SB opponent. We lucked out in that SB plain and simple btw. We deserve the win but could have easily have lost. We were clearly outplayed and outcoached against GB.

My concern is that the NFL moved to a passing league big time in the time since ARI SB. We happed to luck out and have a good core of offensive weapons yet we are not a prolific offense. We see this trend happening and in all those years we (until this draft) failed to really address the offensive line which would help turn us into a passing team with a better chance of success, and we fail to shore up our secondary which even against ARI was woefully unprepared to compete and obvious to the rest of the league.

Sure Colbert has a part in this but Tomlin does as well. So again, please provide concrete examples of his greatness.
he looks cool in sunglasses and uses big words
jb500ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79 View Post

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. ;)

I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach. Every single coach you look at is going to have flaws on his resume. Tomlin's winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself. Hint: It's better than the following: Bill Walsh, Bill Belicheat, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Sean Payton, and is currently tied with Paul Brown.

Edit: Oh, and another thing regarding the fact Tomlin inherited a good team. So what? He took that good team to two Super Bowls, and was two terrible turnovers away from winning both. Name me one good coach (ONE!) who didn't have good players surrounding him.
You win the thread.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote