Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Cook: Steelers aren't a very good football team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post

deja vu all over again
Even worse. At least in 2009 the majority of our players were still capable of performing at a high level. IMO the 2009 issue was simply playing down to every single scrub team they played. I never watched a game in 2009 expecting them to lose because they were a capable team. Now we just suck, we don't play down to teams cause we are already at or below their level. Nobody on this defense beats the guy in front of them anymore and Ryan Clark is the only consistant defender and the only one who plays with heart still. After the Raiders loss I knew that was it and have kind of been expecting losses, the team is just not capable. What's ridiculous is that we have loads of talent on offense and for some reason they have just decided to let their play drop off. The WR's have done poorly the last 2 games at not only getting open, but hanging on to the ball, and the running game is bad enough to make a true Steeler fan sick to his stomach. I expexct the offense to pick it back up, but I don't expext that to get us many W's. After all 2009 was a career high year for Ben yet a low point for the team, and that was with many of our defensive players still at or around the top of their game.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,376 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Such is life when half your team is on crutches. No Woodley, no Troy and offensive line injuries to boot! What did you expect? We're lucky to have kept it close, and without Ben, we would have lost by 20!

This team is a GREAT team when healthy. Unfortunately we haven't had this team 100% healthy in a long, long time.
green bay beat us with half the team on IR. there's something wrong with this team atm, going further than the injuries.

as banged up as this team is, i don't expect them to go and beat the top teams but I would at least expect them to beat the bottom feeders.

i forget what year it was, but we had the #1 seed locked and went to buffalo to play the bills, who were fighting for a playoff spot, if they won they were in. we rested our starters and still blew their asses out
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,452 Times in 4,027 Posts
My Mood: Cool

No way to spin 2-3 start

FRIDAY, 12 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

Those faces pretty much sum up the state of the Steelers at the moment.

It's an election year, so go ahead -- act like a politco and try and spin this loss.

Sure, you can say that the offense was generally more than competent enough to win.

And hey, the Steelers were without LaMarr Woodley and Troy Polamalu, then lost Rashard Mendenhall (again), Isaac Redman, Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert.

A blocked punt? That's flukey.

And Ike Taylor -- a pretty darn good cornerback by anyone's standards -- may have had the single worst regular season game of his professional career.

Even Mike Tomlin, the normally unflappable head coach whiffed too. He probably should've had his team punt at the end instead of having his kicker attempt a career-long field goal and miss, which in turn gave the Titans a short field with a chance to win.

None of that matters.

Because for the third time this season, the Steelers simply could not make a stop when they absolutely needed to. And for the second time, they blew a fourth quarter lead of a touchdown or more to gift-wrap a victory to an "allegedly inferior" opponent.

There's no way to spin 2-3. And there's a mighty ominous thunderhead appearing on the horizon for the remainder of the 2012 season with a pair of dates with upstart Cincinnati and AFC North standard bearer Baltimore still to come.

No Mike Tomlin-coached Steelers team has started 2-3. Dating back to the beginning of the Cowher regime, only five Steelers teams have started 2-3. Those were in 2006, 2003, 2002, 2000 and 1999.

Only one of those teams made the postseason: the 2002 squad which lost in the divisional playoffs -- to Tennessee on the road by a field goal, no less. And that was during a year in which Tommy Maddox came out of nowhere to give Pittsburgh a surprise jump-start.

The others: 8-8, 6-10, 9-7 and 6-10.

Consider also that since 2001, the Steelers have made the playoff in consecutive years, then missed -- 2001 & 2002, playoffs; 2003 miss; 2004 & 2005, playoffs; 2006 miss; 2007 & 2008, playoffs; 2009 miss; 2010 & 2001, playoffs; 2012 ...

It's still too early to bet on a Pittsburgh-free postseason. But if the Steelers are unable to suddenly reinvent themselves by their Oct. 21 date at Cincinnati, history suggests it's might be a lock.

But hey, they still get to play Cleveland twice. (Now that's some spin for you.)

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...6-spinning-2-3
Old 10-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
green bay beat us with half the team on IR. there's something wrong with this team atm, going further than the injuries.

as banged up as this team is, i don't expect them to go and beat the top teams but I would at least expect them to beat the bottom feeders.

i forget what year it was, but we had the #1 seed locked and went to buffalo to play the bills, who were fighting for a playoff spot, if they won they were in. we rested our starters and still blew their asses out
I remember that Bills game, one of their players after the game was crying and said " we can't even beat their 3rd team".
Those were the days.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

2004 season finale. Great recall - that team was loaded.

This one, not so much.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

This team doesn't win more than 8.

This season exposed that the great Dick Lebeau Defenses we had were never that great. If they were really that good, they wouldn't fall apart as soon as ONE player goes down. One player so good it really covered the warts of the scheme, and to date this our "genius" coach still has no answer for it.

The Talent is there, but it's being misused or simply rotting on the bench for decaying ineffective veterans and schemes.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
No way to spin 2-3 start

FRIDAY, 12 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY DAN GIGLER

But hey, they still get to play Cleveland twice. (Now that's some spin for you.)

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/...6-spinning-2-3

uh, yeah. So what? I wouldn't be surprised to see Cleveland kick our teeth in both games.
Of course i don't want that to happen...but i've seen their games this year...they play with much more intensity than we do, and they potentially have both a very good running game...and passing game. Weedens been throwing for well over 300 a game. Not good news for us.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #18
rjmkelly
Water Boy

Member Number: 24442

Defensively, their players are just not as good as they have been.

Hood can't hold Aaron Smith's jock,
Hampton is a mere shadow of what he once was,
Keisel's older and slower,
as is James Harrison,
Troy can't stay healthy and lets face it, he's not what he once was.
Larry Foote wouldn't start for 3/4 of the teams in the NFL.
and Ike Taylor is having a horrible year.

Defense has always carried the Steelers. When their defense is mediocre, so is the teaam.

No, I'm not giving up and I support these guys, reality is though, The" Steelers just aren't a very good football team"
rjmkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,965 Times in 7,589 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
I remember that Bills game, one of their players after the game was crying and said " we can't even beat their 3rd team".
Those were the days.
I remember that game vivdly.

http://football.about.com/od/teamssteelers/a/010605.htm

The Bills were crushed (physically and emotionally). The could ahev made the play-offs... but, the secodn (& third string) wolloped them good!!!
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

I do blame a lot of this on our injuries - and I agree with another post on here our training department needs to be looked at. However due to the injuries, another problem shows up - we are a veteran/superstar filled team. By paying big contracts to our starts/starters - we have less to pay our back-ups. It is now those backups we are relying on to fill in for our starters - and they simply don't have the natural talent to compete at this level. I don't have a solution - I don't want to NOT sign people like Troy, Pouncey, etc - just wish our training staff kept them on the field more.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote