Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #41
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,549 Times in 4,069 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Re: Tomlin's stock dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79 View Post
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh.
all of the injuries we've had are definitely 100% Tomlin's fault...
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #42
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340

Tomlin is a good coach, just gotta grab the concept that Steelers football is 60 min not 45.
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 7,977 Times in 3,376 Posts

I like Tomlin as a coach. He seems to make some big mistakes, but he's still very young and had no head coaching experience before working for the Steelers.

I would give him another year or two before looking for another coach. And if he doesn't turn things around by then, I would guess the Rooneys will give him another year or two after.

And I think the idea that Tomlin is black and will therefore get a free ride as the head coach for the rest of his life might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here (other than things Ravens trolls spew out).
Old 10-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
BlaZeQuietly
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 18219
My Mood: Doh

How about we get a new kicker than can actually hit one from 55 on a regular basis, think abuut how many more points we'd be putting on the board.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #45
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaZeQuietly View Post
How about we get a new kicker than can actually hit one from 55 on a regular basis, think abuut how many more points we'd be putting on the board.
i do agree that it would be nice to have a kicker like a Phil Dawson or one of the many others in the league with a strong leg. I worry anytime Suisham has to try anything over a 40,45 yarder..........
But on the other hand, we shouldn't have to worry about relying on "field goals".
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #46
JackL58
Water Boy

Member Number: 15540

I agree with the thoughts on Tomlin not having the football mentality that he needs.. Sometimes he does, but there have been numerous times when he is apparently thinking of something entirely different than football, or at least our game. Couple some bad coaching with a lack of leadership on this team and you get a mediocre team. This year is looking more and more like a 8 and 8 year. Painful.. Of course, this is how Browns fans feel every year.....
JackL58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #47
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I believe he was big time pissed off in the press conference, I have yet to watch it all but he seemed like he was ready to blow. Hopefully he took that back into the locker room and practice
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #48
JackL58
Water Boy

Member Number: 15540

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpit79 View Post
Get rid of Tomlin talk is already starting, huh? smfh. I'll just say this, I'm glad none of you here run the Steelers. I'm assuming you're the same people who wanted to get rid of Cowher after the '98-00 seasons as well because those teams were MUCH worse than our current squad.

While we're at it, the Pats should fire Belichick for not winning a Super Bowl in 7 years with arguably the greatest qb ever, and why not fire the Packers' McCarthy since they are also 2-3 this year. And we should replace Tomlin with Arians since Arians is undefeated as a head coach. ;)

I'd argue Tomlin is a top five head coach. Every single coach you look at is going to have flaws on his resume. Tomlin's winning percentage as a head coach speaks for itself. Hint: It's better than the following: Bill Walsh, Bill Belicheat, Tom Landry, Bill Cowher, Tony Dungy, Sean Payton, and is currently tied with Paul Brown.

Every team goes through rebuilding years, I'm afraid we're probably at that point. This is what happens when you draft 22-32 seemingly every year. The difference between a typical rebuilding year for the the Steelers' and a lot of other teams is we go 8-8 or 9-7, not 4-12.

Edit: Oh, and another thing regarding the fact Tomlin inherited a good team. So what? He took that good team to two Super Bowls, and was two terrible turnovers away from winning both. Name me one good coach (ONE!) who didn't have good players surrounding him.
Good points.... Tomlin is good and will be here for years... I do think we are entering a rebuilding year and maybe be there for 2-3 years at that.... It happens to all teams and we are due. Plus, you are correct in that we have drafted so late for so many years, and the Steelers don't go after free agents, so we have to rely on the draft to build our team... The problem is we are used to winning... That's what makes this hard... If the Brownies had the same record we have right now and the same players, they'd be ecstatic......
JackL58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #49
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I like Tomlin as a coach. He seems to make some big mistakes, but he's still very young and had no head coaching experience before working for the Steelers.

I would give him another year or two before looking for another coach. And if he doesn't turn things around by then, I would guess the Rooneys will give him another year or two after.

And I think the idea that Tomlin is black and will therefore get a free ride as the head coach for the rest of his life might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on here (other than things Ravens trolls spew out).

Unless Tomlin gets arrested himself or there is a major, unreal coaching catastrophe, it will be much, much longer than a "year or two" before they start looking for another coach. The sky would have to completely fall.
Even looking at his weaknesses, he's still considered by almost everyone in football to be one of the best coaches in the league...
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #50
SuzyPeppercorn
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2955

Does anybody think the 54 yd fg was a good decision? Making or missing that field goal pretty much seals the game either way. Seeing Suisham make the previous 52 yd fg by a few extra yards definitely made me think it was a reasonable decision. On the road in a close game, play for the win. Don't play for overtime.

My only question would be the 3rd and 7 play before the 54 yard attempt. If the Tomlin knew they would kick that field goal, why not run the ball to waste time/a timeout and get a few yards closer for the fg attempt?
SuzyPeppercorn is offline   Reply With Quote