Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 10-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #51
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,951 Times in 3,405 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin's stock dropping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyPeppercorn View Post
Does anybody think the 54 yd fg was a good decision? Making or missing that field goal pretty much seals the game either way. Seeing Suisham make the previous 52 yd fg by a few extra yards definitely made me think it was a reasonable decision. On the road in a close game, play for the win. Don't play for overtime.

My only question would be the 3rd and 7 play before the 54 yard attempt. If the Tomlin knew they would kick that field goal, why not run the ball to waste time/a timeout and get a few yards closer for the fg attempt?
GREAT question. i hope a local reporter asks tomlin that in his tuesday presser, although im sure tomlin would refuse to answer, saying they are looking towards cinci.

i dont think the 54 yarder was a bad decision, although i woulda punted. i probably wouldnt have let suisham try the 52 yarder either, so.....

(also on the 3rd and 7, i thought ben had room to run for a few yards, if not the first down).
Old 10-15-2012, 12:00 AM   #52
uclkyle
Water Boy

Member Number: 17560

I'm not sure how good of a coach MIke Tomlin actually is. I said it before the season started; this is the first year Tomlin will have to really stand on his own. Bill Cowher's draft picks are either gone or past their prime (for the most part). The critical players since 2007 (Tomlin era) are Troy, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Holmes, Farrior, Ben, and Miller. Ben and Miller are still mostly healthy and playing at a high level. Most of Tomlin's picks have done NOTHING, with the obvious exception of the three young receivers. It's becoming apparent that Tomlin can't evaluate and develop talent. Pouncey has been OK (I'm not terribly impressed), Marcus Gilbert is OK. Cam Heyward is still young, but not contributing. Ziggy Hood is a bust. How about these names, Kraig Urbik (2 round), Limas Sweed (2 round), Joe Burnett, Thaddius Gibson, Matt Spaeth......none of them panned out and they were all high picks.

Cowher's first rounders: Santonio, Ben, Heath, Troy, Casey Hampton, Faneca. Granted, Cowher missed on a few, but had several all-pros. Tomlin, not so much.
uclkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #53
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,936 Times in 4,636 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
Cowher's first rounders: Santonio, Ben, Heath, Troy, Casey Hampton, Faneca. Granted, Cowher missed on a few, but had several all-pros. Tomlin, not so much.
I thought the Steelers' General Manager was in charge of our draft selections?

I realize our GM accepts his head coach's input, but it's not like Cowher and Tomlin are solely responsible for the draft picks that were made.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #54
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
GREAT question. i hope a local reporter asks tomlin that in his tuesday presser, although im sure tomlin would refuse to answer, saying they are looking towards cinci.

i dont think the 54 yarder was a bad decision, although i woulda punted. i probably wouldnt have let suisham try the 52 yarder either, so.....

(also on the 3rd and 7, i thought ben had room to run for a few yards, if not the first down).
If it came down to it, I would have kicked the FG on 3rd to see what Suisham puts up. if he makes it, great. If not, then we think over whether we punt or try again. I know everyone will say you have to give Ben a chance to convert the 1st down, but honestly, if they trusted the offense to convert, they would have went for it on 4th down.

They did not, so IMO, that option isn't on the table. That means they figured at best they'd pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards. I'd rather have an extra down to punt if need be.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #55
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

There isn't one specific decision on a play that worries me. He has had a knack of coming up very small at the end of games since he has been coach. He is not a good closing the game coach. Even the ones that have been won, were terrible ways to end the game.

The evidence is there and we saw how he coaches at the end of games. It's terrible. I honestly have never been impressed with his coaching anyways.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #56
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,304 Posts

everyone step away from the computer, and stop the panicing..

last 2 super bowl champs didnt get hot till December

its a LONNNNGG SEASON

sure we look like dog poop so far.. BUT

name one AFC team that hasnt

2 back off first place, with 2 vs. bengals and 2 vs. ravens still.

ravens have some key injuries. and have looked BAD at home.

pats havent done squat.

bengals?

jets?

plenty of time... its all about staying a float now till week 15, and then strike like a black mamba
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #57
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,392 Times in 8,510 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
If it came down to it, I would have kicked the FG on 3rd to see what Suisham puts up. if he makes it, great. If not, then we think over whether we punt or try again. I know everyone will say you have to give Ben a chance to convert the 1st down, but honestly, if they trusted the offense to convert, they would have went for it on 4th down.

They did not, so IMO, that option isn't on the table. That means they figured at best they'd pick up maybe 2 or 3 more yards. I'd rather have an extra down to punt if need be.
You can't attempt a FG twice. Once the kick is made, the rest of the downs are ceded.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #58
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,915 Times in 1,895 Posts
My Mood: Fine

mmm . . . panicing sounds delicious

Black Mamba as in the five point palm exploding heart technique?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #59
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,392 Times in 8,510 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
I'm not sure how good of a coach MIke Tomlin actually is. I said it before the season started; this is the first year Tomlin will have to really stand on his own. Bill Cowher's draft picks are either gone or past their prime (for the most part). The critical players since 2007 (Tomlin era) are Troy, Smith, Keisel, Harrison, Hampton, Holmes, Farrior, Ben, and Miller. Ben and Miller are still mostly healthy and playing at a high level. Most of Tomlin's picks have done NOTHING, with the obvious exception of the three young receivers. It's becoming apparent that Tomlin can't evaluate and develop talent. Pouncey has been OK (I'm not terribly impressed), Marcus Gilbert is OK. Cam Heyward is still young, but not contributing. Ziggy Hood is a bust. How about these names, Kraig Urbik (2 round), Limas Sweed (2 round), Joe Burnett, Thaddius Gibson, Matt Spaeth......none of them panned out and they were all high picks.

Farrior was a free agent.

Woodley, Pouncey, Timmons (at times), Mendenspin (at times), Heyward (will be good, once he starts), DD.

Hood sucks.

Troy Edwards. Jamain Stephens. And, Shawn Andrews* sucked.

*(the guy that Cowher wanted instead of BB.)
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #60
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,077 Times in 568 Posts

There is only one black mamba in sports, and he plays for the LA Lakers.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote