Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 10-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 21,582 Times in 8,911 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default The HERD: Power Poll

I listen to Colin Cowherd, every morning, on my commute. The guy is very educated, and usually spot on. I don't always "like" what he says, but he is usually very accurate. He doesn't play favorites nor does he sugar-coat anything.

Anyway, he presented his NFL power poll this morning, and he had BALT dropping to 10... and on their way down. As he stated, "A defense that was already bad (two straight games giving up 200 yards rushing) got considerably worse when they lost Ray Lewis & Lardarius Webb.

At 8... (insert drumroll here)... PITT.

Colin's rationale:
the Steelers have been banged up/they will get healthy; they know how to win/winning culture; and, most importantly, Big Ben.

He pointed out that BB is 73% completion percentage on 3rd down... which is the best in the league... and means: as long as BB is playing, the Steelers have a shot to win the SuperBowl.
teegre is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
Bayz101 (10-17-2012), Stu Pidasso (10-16-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311
Default Re: The HERD: Power Poll

Can not argue his points. But still, #8 is a little high. More or like #15-18.
Steelers>NFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Can not argue his points. But still, #8 is a little high. More or like #15-18.
Here is how I see it:

If PITT wins the games at OAK & TENN, they are 4-1... despite not having Clark, Polamalu, Harrison, & Woodley... and everyone would be gushing over them (top 5 ranking).

Sure, OAK & TENN suck, but OAK gave "top ranked" ATL all that the could handle. ATL eked out a won; PITT did not.

Anyway,by most venues, PITT garners a ranking of 15ish.

But, one has to consider, as Colin did, three things:
1. PITT has been injured.
2. PITT plays five divisional games in the final seven weeks.
&
3. Big Ben.

Thus, the Steelers fall somewhere between the current ranking (15) and their possible ranking (3)... which would be about 8.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 4,139 Times in 1,986 Posts
My Mood: Fine

there isn't a better measuring stick than this @Cincy matchup. As someone mentioned, being 3-3, then 2-3 in the AFC, with a 1-0 division record, looks a whole lot better than 2-4, 1-4 in AFC and 0-1 in division - it keeps the dream alive for another week

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

You're living in a world of ifs and buts. We're old, injured, and 2-3, losing to two horrible teams in the process.

End of story. You are what your record says you are.

Did you give NE the same benefit of the doubt? Could they be 5-1 perhaps with a play here or there?

What about Miami? Cincy?

If we can play that game, so can every other team. Good teams make the plays we're missing, and frankly, games against Oakland and Tennessee should not have come down to a play here or there. We should have wasted those turds in a half of football, like pretty much everyone else did.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maddog78 For This Useful Post:
tanda10506 (10-21-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

The Steelers lost to the two worst teams in the league... seems to me that puts us at the bottom to.

You can talk all the bullshit you want about flying to the west coast yadda yadda but the facts are the Steelers got BEAT by the Raiders and BEAT by the Titans. Good teams squash those teams and do it with style.

Right now the Steelers are not a very good team. The Defense is atrocious the Offense is sporadic and Special Teams... well need I say more?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,783 Times in 3,687 Posts

Quote:
while i agree we shouldve wasted teams this year it is not the end of story.

not EVERYBODY believes in or buys this ancient bill parcels catchphrase. sure it is popular, media loves to use it, but it is not an end all be all. it is coachspeak coaches like to use to get out of answering the difficult questions.

we are 2-3.

records change. in 2006 and 2009 the steelers had average records, but were still reigning super bowl champions.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
while i agree we shouldve wasted teams this year it is not the end of story.

not EVERYBODY believes in or buys this ancient bill parcels catchphrase. sure it is popular, media loves to use it, but it is not an end all be all. it is coachspeak coaches like to use to get out of answering the difficult questions.

we are 2-3.

records change. in 2006 and 2009 the steelers had average records, but were still reigning super bowl champions.
Not sure I get your point. Last year doesn't matter. In 2006 and 2009, the Steelers were average teams. Thus, their average records.

maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
You're living in a world of ifs and buts. We're old, injured, and 2-3, losing to two horrible teams in the process.

Did you give NE the same benefit of the doubt? Could they be 5-1 perhaps with a play here or there?

What about Miami? Cincy?

If we can play that game, so can every other team. Good teams make the plays we're missing, and frankly, games against Oakland and Tennessee should not have come down to a play here or there. We should have wasted those turds in a half of football, like pretty much everyone else did.
Exaclty. Now you are getting my point.

New England is 3-3, but they could very easily be 6-0. The league is rife with parody... and thus, the Steelers are in no way out of the race. [Same goes with MIA and CINCY... and even BUFF.] The top seed is still up for grabs.

As far as the last paragraph goes, I whole-heartedly agree: these games should not come down to one play. Read the summation here:

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1016.html

But, the fact is, again, that the league has become rife with parody. And, truthfully, sometimes games do indeed come down to one (or two) meaningful play(s). The Steelers are currently on the wrong side of that play... but, I am predicting that they turn it around.

Lastly, ATL is 5-1... but, they struggled with/got their butts handed to them by OAK. Luckily for ATL, they made one or two plays that gave them the win... but, by no means did ATL blow out OAK as they "should have" (just as PITT "should have" blown out OAK). It all comes down to a few plays, here & there.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #10
kenanderson
Banned

Member Number: 24445

Well, he's a good player. No wonder he got those points.
kenanderson is offline   Reply With Quote