Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 10-18-2012, 06:44 AM   #11
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: The HERD: Power Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Exaclty. Now you are getting my point.

New England is 3-3, but they could very easily be 6-0. The league is rife with parody... and thus, the Steelers are in no way out of the race. [Same goes with MIA and CINCY... and even BUFF.] The top seed is still up for grabs.

As far as the last paragraph goes, I whole-heartedly agree: these games should not come down to one play. Read the summation here:

http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1016.html

But, the fact is, again, that the league has become rife with parody. And, truthfully, sometimes games do indeed come down to one (or two) meaningful play(s). The Steelers are currently on the wrong side of that play... but, I am predicting that they turn it around.

Lastly, ATL is 5-1... but, they struggled with/got their butts handed to them by OAK. Luckily for ATL, they made one or two plays that gave them the win... but, by no means did ATL blow out OAK as they "should have" (just as PITT "should have" blown out OAK). It all comes down to a few plays, here & there.
Good teams find a way to win those games, like we did last year and in 2010. When you do it a number of times, you're a good team, not just an average team that got lucky several times.

Conversely, if you fail week in and week out to make the game changing plays to win games, you're not a good team.

Maybe we would make them if Harrison, Woodley, and Polamalu were always 100%, but they're not, and unfortunately, that's a characteristic of this team that we have to live with. Two of them are aging and oft-injured, the other appears to have a chronic hamstring problem.

Another bad quality of this team is the offensive line. Even before the injuries in Tennessee, the run blocking has been god awful. I don't know if we need a new OL coach, new linemen, or linemen in better shape, but they're fat. slow, and immobile and are getting whipped up front routinely.

I don't see how either of those last two situations I mentioned drastically improve this year, and barring that, not sure how we start making more plays. The backups on D aren't good enough to not screw up enough to lose, nor are the starters on the OL.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,736 Times in 7,904 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Good teams find a way to win those games, like we did last year and in 2010. When you do it a number of times, you're a good team, not just an average team that got lucky several times.

Conversely, if you fail week in and week out to make the game changing plays to win games, you're not a good team.

Maybe we would make them if Harrison, Woodley, and Polamalu were always 100%, but they're not, and unfortunately, that's a characteristic of this team that we have to live with. Two of them are aging and oft-injured, the other appears to have a chronic hamstring problem.

Another bad quality of this team is the offensive line. Even before the injuries in Tennessee, the run blocking has been god awful. I don't know if we need a new OL coach, new linemen, or linemen in better shape, but they're fat. slow, and immobile and are getting whipped up front routinely.

I don't see how either of those last two situations I mentioned drastically improve this year, and barring that, not sure how we start making more plays. The backups on D aren't good enough to not screw up enough to lose, nor are the starters on the OL.
I agree: the age & way in which Troy & Harrison play the game have taken a toll on their bodies. Likewise, Woodley's girth seems to create his injuries. BUT, the difference between winning & losing is very slim... and if even one of those three is on the field, something small (one more stop on third down) is going to happen. I'm not talking about anything even very "noticeable."

Likewise, the onus is on BB (not the "blame", the "onus") to convert one more third down, specifically at the end of the game. (Or, for a WR to make a TD, instead of dropping, fumbling, or falling down with the ball: merely a 4 point difference.) Again, something barely noticeable.

The OL, in my opinion, is better. Is it like the 2005 OL? No. Is it better than last year? Yes. The Colon can block very well. That alone is an upgrade over Kemo. Obviously, the rest of the parts, as a whole, are merely average, but for whatever reason, BB is not getting sacked nearly as much this year. (Of course, that could be due to his getting rid of the ball more quickly.)

As far as good teams winning those games... I agree: these games should not come down to that one play. But, it appears, across he league, that games are doing just that: staying close & being decided by one play.

The Taperiots lost to a team with a rookie QB and a team with no "real" QB. Those games should not have been close... yet, they were.

Lastly, PITT, despite not looking great, are tied for THIRD in the conference, with three losses.
1. HOU
2. BALT
3. PITT, NE, MIA, BUFF, SD, DENV.

Thus, again, this season is not over... because, while PITT has looked bad at times, so has EVERY other team (at some point this far). And now, HOU & BALT will be dealing with injuries... so, expect them to drop back to the pack a little bit.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
torpedoshell31
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 24438

I have noticed that the 3 QB's that have beat us (Manning,Palmer and Hasselback) are all veterans in their mid-thirties that have patience enough to pick apart our defense. They don't go for the deep ball, if you give them 7-8 yds every time they will take it.
Looking ahead at our schedule, only Eli Manning is the type of QB left that can do that to us. Flacco,Romo and Rivers are too inconsistent, and RG3,Dalton and Weeden are probably too inexperienced.
torpedoshell31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #14
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Sanchez and Vick = inconsistent, good point

3 losses = QBs took what we gave them. I can accept Manning defeating us in his first comeback game with a new team on prime time at home. I cannot accept "I've had about 3 good seasons Palmer and Hasselback" going up and down the field on a Steelers defense

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
New England is 3-3, but they could very easily be 6-0. The league is rife with parody... and thus, the Steelers are in no way out of the race. [Same goes with MIA and CINCY... and even BUFF.] The top seed is still up for grabs.

But, the fact is, again, that the league has become rife with parody. And, truthfully, sometimes games do indeed come down to one (or two) meaningful play(s). The Steelers are currently on the wrong side of that play... but, I am predicting that they turn it around.
This cracked me up mightily. But it is the misuse of the word parody (which should be parity) that cracked me up. When you think of the league as a parody, that is pretty funny. In a lot of ways it is true, but I know that is not the way you meant it. Parity, on the other hand, means that just about any team can win on any week. Which is the point you are trying to reach. Sorry, but I am old and went to school when they drilled this stuff into our heads. I do agree that the league has been forced into what they call parity by bad officiating, rules that cater to offenses and don't let defenses play, and by a Hitleresque commisioner who has no clue how to dole out punishments on a fair and even basis.

Parody ( /ˈpśrədi/; also called pastiche, spoof, send-up or lampoon), in current use, is an imitative work created to mock, comment on or trivialise an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation.

Parity - (sports) an equal playing field for all participants, regardless of their economic circumstances

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,736 Times in 7,904 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
This cracked me up mightily. But it is the misuse of the word parody (which should be parity) that cracked me up. When you think of the league as a parody, that is pretty funny. In a lot of ways it is true, but I know that is not the way you meant it. Parity, on the other hand, means that just about any team can win on any week. Which is the point you are trying to reach. Sorry, but I am old and went to school when they drilled this stuff into our heads. I do agree that the league has been forced into what they call parity by bad officiating, rules that cater to offenses and don't let defenses play, and by a Hitleresque commisioner who has no clue how to dole out punishments on a fair and even basis.

Parody ( /ˈpśrədi/; also called pastiche, spoof, send-up or lampoon), in current use, is an imitative work created to mock, comment on or trivialise an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation.

Parity - (sports) an equal playing field for all participants, regardless of their economic circumstances

Color me shamed.

Seriously, I take my penchant for knowing the English language very seriously... I get annoyed with the misuse of homohpones (for example: "their, there, & they're")... and I failed,

I seriously can NOT believe that I did that.

Not trying to make an excuse, but my 18 month old has been weaning... and I've had about 3-4 hours of sleep per night. No excuse though... I should expect better of myself. I will not make that mistake again.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,768 Posts
My Mood: Fine

apology not EXCEPTED

Look into my eyes
SF Haters