Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 AM   #11
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Re: Why don't offensive linemen wear knee braces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonySteel86 View Post
If I was the owner, they would be wearing them. Try it in pre season first and if it helps, keep em. The way our oline are dropping like flies, why not.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. And I agree with Tony, that's why they don't like wearing them.

So why doesn't the league work with manufacturers to perfect better, lighter braces?

Sorry, I'm just sick of the knee injuries plaguing this team.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #12
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
So why doesn't the league work with manufacturers to perfect better, lighter braces?

Sorry, I'm just sick of the knee injuries plaguing this team.
Because braces work by limiting movement. That's why it's beneficial to an injured knee...it doesn't allow full range of motion, and provides resistance to help protect it. There's already an over the knee brace design that provides almost no resistance, and is very light weight. You probably know it by it's common name...pants. Anything more effective than pants will limit mobility.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
Because braces work by limiting movement. That's why it's beneficial to an injured knee...it doesn't allow full range of motion, and provides resistance to help protect it. There's already an over the knee brace design that provides almost no resistance, and is very light weight. You probably know it by it's common name...pants. Anything more effective than pants will limit mobility.
Yes, braces are designed to restrict the type of movement that God did not intend in the human knee.

Stuff like this:

Old 10-19-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Also, guys coming back from injury wear them quite often. If they're so restrictive as to render the player useless, just hold him out until he doesn't need the brace anymore.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Also, guys coming back from injury wear them quite often. If they're so restrictive as to render the player useless, just hold him out until he doesn't need the brace anymore.
It doesn't render them useless...it simply slows them down and restricts mobility. Pouncey in a brace is still better than any other Center we have without a brace. Thing is, when he's braced up don't look for him to be performing rapid lateral moves or the like.

For anyone fuzzy on it, try putting on a brace while you're healthy, then running, or jumping...or try to play some ball. You'll find that you just don't "Feel Right". At the NFL level, that translates directly to diminished performance. College guys can get away with it all day, because the opposing team might have a star or two, but the rest of them will be waiting tables at Chili's after they graduate.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:33 PM   #16
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Wait....didn't you hear about the amazing advancement in knee braces?????
It's called the "Gilbert Brace."
Guaranteed to protect against debilitating knee injuries caused by a teammate.
Just patented by an orthopedist in Pittsburgh.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,634 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
college? those boys are on scholorship, plus theyre playing cupcakes every other weekend.

in the NFL, a spit second of getting out of your stance is the difference between starting and riding the pine.

screw a knee brace, many players dont even wear a cup, and many are resistant to wearing james harrisons military grade kevlar helmet because it is 3 Oz. heavier. hell, they dont even like that the nfl is making it mandatory to wear thigh and elbow pads. same with the mouth guard.

the big leagues is about performance, not health or safety. its a mans game, and nobody wants to be perceived as a pu$$. plus, if you wear a knee brace, you might as well be painting a red bullseye on the outside of your pants.
Tony, you never wear a cup in football. Its not like somebody is throwing a ball at your stones like Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard.

Wearing a brace may limit movement, but for the O line guys its not that big of a deal IMO. O line is about quick feet, short strides and technical movement. After a couple knee injuries myself as a kid...I played with a Stromgren knee support. http://www.stromgren.com/products/19...protectors.php
Once took a shot in the side of the leg and had to bend the thing back straight again. I was so happy that I had that piece of metal there and my knee didnt take the full brunt.

I'll admitt that I eventually took it off because I felt invincible again after the recovery. Its not a bad idea that guys on the line would wear one, because you can often be locked up with a defender when somebody rolls up the back of your legs.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Tony, you never wear a cup in football. Its not like somebody is throwing a ball at your stones like Burt Reynolds in the Longest Yard.

Wearing a brace may limit movement, but for the O line guys its not that big of a deal IMO. O line is about quick feet, short strides and technical movement. After a couple knee injuries myself as a kid...I played with a Stromgren knee support. http://www.stromgren.com/products/19...protectors.php
Once took a shot in the side of the leg and had to bend the thing back straight again. I was so happy that I had that piece of metal there and my knee didnt take the full brunt.

I'll admitt that I eventually took it off because I felt invincible again after the recovery. Its not a bad idea that guys on the line would wear one, because you can often be locked up with a defender when somebody rolls up the back of your legs.
We could have a starting line with Pouncey, DD, and Gilbert today if they wore them. As it is, we may well have Legursky, Foster, and Adams.

There's a nasty trickle down effect with OL injuries, too. Ben is going to start getting hit a lot more.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,634 Posts

Quote:
We could have a starting line with Pouncey, DD, and Gilbert today if they wore them. As it is, we may well have Legursky, Foster, and Adams.

There's a nasty trickle down effect with OL injuries, too. Ben is going to start getting hit a lot more.
You don't know that for certain. A brace may not have prevented such injuries.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Adams play RT today.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #20
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
You don't know that for certain. A brace may not have prevented such injuries.

I am actually looking forward to seeing Adams play RT today.
Which is why I said "could" and not "would".

I want to see Adams, too. I haven't been very impressed with Gilbert. Hope we hit on the Adams pick.