Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149
Default I was watching Ziggy Hood Last night...

And ol' boy needs to take a seat...I actually saw him get pancaked by Zietler last night...isn't dude a rookie???? and on other plays if he wasn't getting no push he was getting blown out of the play all together...what gives?
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,332 Times in 3,278 Posts
Default Re: I was watching Ziggy Hood Last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
And ol' boy needs to take a seat...I actually saw him get pancaked by Zietler last night...isn't dude a rookie???? and on other plays if he wasn't getting no push he was getting blown out of the play all together...what gives?
He was awful on the first drive when he got pancaked when the Bengals went for it from the Steelers 20 on the 4th and 1 and ran exclusively to the right on the opening drive - Hood did deflect a pass and the Bengals did not do much after the first quarter

Hood is not going to the Pro Bowl but it is not as if Heyward is a star in waiting on the bench
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
He was awful on the first drive when he got pancaked when the Bengals went for it from the Steelers 20 on the 4th and 1 and ran exclusively to the right on the opening drive - Hood did deflect a pass and the Bengals did not do much after the first quarter

Hood is not going to the Pro Bowl but it is not as if Heyward is a star in waiting on the bench
He was brutal on the first drive. I did see him bat down three balls; but overall; I think this guy is not living up to what everyone had hoped. Time to give Heyward a chance!!
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Instead of shifting blame on them, how about Tomlin and Lebeau's insistence on keeping Casey and Brett in there? Casey is getting handled one-on-one and Keisel isn't doing much of anything either.

Putting Heyward in there and sure enough he will fail too. Hood and Heyward are not those kinds of players fit for our scheme. They're forced to play a scheme that is completely unfitting for them.

Ziggy is a One-Gap D-Lineman who does his damage attacking the line of scrimmage. He's being asked to eat space and keep linemen at bay when an attacking, disruptive lineman is what draws double teams. He's not tall enough or big enough to do that. He's a short stocky type better suited for passrushing and attacking.

Old Man Dickard doesn't want him to do that, so that's why he was benched to start 2011 after being a beast in 2010. To quote John Mitchell, we don't want "Supermen" on our Defensive Line, and that is pretty stupid shit if you ask me.

Last edited by Edman; 10-22-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399

Nice interchange I will put it int my boot review
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,196 Times in 3,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edman View Post

Old Man Dickard doesn't want him to do that, so that's why he was benched to start 2011 after being a beast in 2010. To quote John Mitchell, we don't want "Supermen" on our Defensive Line, and that is pretty stupid shit if you ask me.
i see MUCH MORE stupid shit posted on this board.

who the hell was a "beast" in 2010? i certainly hope you dont mean hood after saying he cant play in this scheme.

the term "beast" is so cliche and over used, it has completely lost its intended meaning. people toss it around like nothing...

my grandma cooks a mean turkey for thanksgiving. she is "A BEAST"! :

the reason hood and others were "benched" is because young beastly studs such as mclendon, hood and heyward have proven incapable of providing the run stuffing dominance of even elder veterans such as hampton, smith and keisel (even von oelhoffen for that matter).

dont gimme this crap about being a better match for a different "scheme". all it takes is their beastly physicality and a few ounces of brains.

ben thinks he was a better match for arians scheme, but once he gets past the "rosetta stone" he will probably settle in to his most productive years.

while heyward is a perfect fit for our scheme, word in camp is that while he may be a "beast" his was a bit of a mental midget as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i see MUCH MORE stupid shit posted on this board.

who the hell was a "beast" in 2010? i certainly hope you dont mean hood after saying he cant play in this scheme.

the reason hood and others were "benched" is because young beastly studs such as mclendon, hood and heyward have proven incapable of providing the run stuffing dominance of even elder veterans such as hampton, smith and keisel (even von oelhoffen for that matter).

dont gimme this crap about being a better match for a different "scheme". all it takes is their beastly physicality and a few ounces of brains.

while heyward is a perfect fit for our scheme, word in camp is that while he may be a "beast" his was a bit of a mental midget as well.
The 2010 Steelers had the best run defense in years, giving up over 100 yards on the ground twice all year. This is without Aaron Smith playing most of the season. Hood came in for him when he got injured and played pretty well. 6 sacks in 12 starts including the postseason.

But in 2011, "Mental Midget" Hood was benched again and an aging "Run-stuffing dominator" Aaron Smith was handed the keys again. What did we get? 170 and 180 yards given up on the Ground in Baltmore and Houston. The Run Defense dropped off a cliff.

Where is the "run-stuffing dominance" that you said Hood was incapable of and that only Smith, Hampton, and Keisel could do? You're right, Ziggy Hood can play in his scheme, but his ability has been neutered thanks to our questionable defensive coaching. Ziggy Hood was PUNISHED for his production.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,008 Times in 4,256 Posts

Quote:
Where is the "run-stuffing dominance" that you said Hood was incapable of and that only Smith, Hampton, and Keisel could do? You're right, Ziggy Hood can play in his scheme, but his ability has been neutered thanks to our questionable defensive coaching. Ziggy Hood was PUNISHED for his production.
Everything he said here is correct. Our young guys are often punished and scrutinized for their production. Look at McLendon's production in the preseason and yet he's on the bench for Hampton. While I'm not convinced that Hampton is the problem on the line, it's time for Steve to get in the game with Heyward and Hood and have a young defensive line.

I think this will be the last year that Keisel and Hampton will be on this line and when there is the infusion of youth, the sack total of Woodley and whoever is on that right side (c'mon Dion Jordan!) will skyrocket. Until then, the over-the-hill linemen will keep playing and quarterbacks will consistently have 5 seconds to throw.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #9
defence
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 19128

Quote:
The 2010 Steelers had the best run defense in years, giving up over 100 yards on the ground twice all year. This is without Aaron Smith playing most of the season. Hood came in for him when he got injured and played pretty well. 6 sacks in 12 starts including the postseason.

But in 2011, "Mental Midget" Hood was benched again and an aging "Run-stuffing dominator" Aaron Smith was handed the keys again. What did we get? 170 and 180 yards given up on the Ground in Baltmore and Houston. The Run Defense dropped off a cliff.

I think you are putting too much stock into this scheme thing. I haven't been overly happy with LeBeau myself; but let's be real here. Ziggy is no beast and thats not lebeaus fault. He's had plenty of time to learn and pick up the schemes. Has it ever crossed your mind that the guy is not that good. He got destroyed on the first drive yesterday. Did you not notice cincy running right at him the whole drive. He's getting his chance to prove his worth; and as of now; he's not looking like a first rounder. And that has nothing to do with scheme.
defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

Hood has been unspectacular for a first round pick but I agree that Mclendon and Heyward need more playing time. Mclendon in particular, I'm shocked at how seldom I've seen him on the field. Hampton still takes up space but is getting pushed around more then he should and Mclendon has looked much better when he's seen the field.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote