Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 10-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321
Default Bears defense

I went to bed at halftime, but at the time, the Bears had established the league lead with 18 turnovers and it was only their sixth game.

It's no accident. They are an agressive, attacking front four and back seven. I don't see contain/read/react up front, just crushing the pocket on every play. They don't give an inch and rip, strip, and in Peanut Tillman's case, punch the ball out. He literally makes a punching move on the ball while he's wrapping up.

We have different players and run a different scheme, but I'd still like to see a little more of this and a little less "tackling the catch". It's not like they have a huge talent advantage on the Steelers.

They just choose to use theirs in a different manner, and it's fun to watch.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts
Default Re: Bears defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
I went to bed at halftime, but at the time, the Bears had established the league lead with 18 turnovers and it was only their sixth game.

It's no accident. They are an agressive, attacking front four and back seven. I don't see contain/read/react up front, just crushing the pocket on every play. They don't give an inch and rip, strip, and in Peanut Tillman's case, punch the ball out. He literally makes a punching move on the ball while he's wrapping up.

We have different players and run a different scheme, but I'd still like to see a little more of this and a little less "tackling the catch". It's not like they have a huge talent advantage on the Steelers.

They just choose to use theirs in a different manner, and it's fun to watch.
Steelers scheme worked just fine when Hampton, Polamalu and Harrison (and before hime Porter) had more tread on their tires from 2004 - 2008

The sense of entitlement to being on top every season is understandable but perhaps not realistic

There may be some changes if LeBeau retires - but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for - talented players make for success more often than talented schemes
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Steelers scheme worked just fine when Hampton, Polamalu and Harrison (and before hime Porter) had more tread on their tires from 2004 - 2008

The sense of entitlement to being on top every season is understandable but perhaps not realistic

There may be some changes if LeBeau retires - but as the saying goes, be careful what you wish for - talented players make for success more often than talented schemes
If that's the case, coordinator doesn't matter so much. Why so much allegiance to DL, then.

When we've seen the Steelers defense attack this year, they've been very good. When they've laid back, very bad.

Same talent on the field, too.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
If that's the case, coordinator doesn't matter so much. Why so much allegiance to DL, then.

When we've seen the Steelers defense attack this year, they've been very good. When they've laid back, very bad.

Same talent on the field, too.
When have they "attacked" this year? Attacking Mark Sanchez doesn't count - there are college defenses that could attack him
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
When have they "attacked" this year? Attacking Mark Sanchez doesn't count - there are college defenses that could attack him
Did you miss the Philly game?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Did you miss the Philly game?
You mean the one where Vick fumbled at the goal line for one of 3 fumbles and the D gave up another lead in the 4 quarter?

Eagles offense ranks 30 out of 32 in points scored - consider the possibility the Eagles ineptitude was what kept the score down

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...OINTS_GAME_AVG

Serious question - would you "attack" RGIII this week? His style in some ways looks like a faster version of Ben - if you lose containment he will look for the receiver as coverage breaks down and then can use his speed to run for big gains
Old 10-23-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Praising the Bears opens up the argument about making a team through trades and free agency versus the draft. The Steelers are the poster child for a home grown team developed by the draft. They generally abhor paying money to high priced free agents and trading top draft picks for established players. The Bears on the other hand are the poster child for a team made by free agency and the draft. Four years ago they were pathetic. They added Cutler and moved up a notch. They added Julius peppers several years back and moved up another notch. Finally with the addition of Brandon Marshall this year via trade things seem to be clicking on all cylinders.
You may argue that most of the defense on the bears were drafted and that is true but you can't imagine what a humongous difference adding Julius Peppers has made. I know because I live here in Chicago and that team is night and day with peppers
Old 10-23-2012, 08:08 AM   #8
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,826 Times in 1,839 Posts
My Mood: Fine

my stomach is night and day with the Peppers

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Serious question - would you "attack" RGIII this week? His style in some ways looks like a faster version of Ben - if you lose containment he will look for the receiver as coverage breaks down and then can use his speed to run for big gains
Good question. This is an interesting challenge, for sure. We'll need some kind of hybrid approach, I would suspect, to both contain RGIII but also not let him complete easy short pass after easy short pass. Jam the receivers more, maybe?

I don't think you want everyone running upfield after him and leaving the middle wide open for his fantastic running ability.

Really wish we had Troy this game. This might be a good time to have Timmons spy this guy all over the field.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703
My Mood: Relaxed

I think if there was ever a time for the old "contain and make a rookie beat you in the air" I feel this is it. Keep him in the pocket and make him beat us with his arm and their lack of rcvrs.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote