Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #21
EbonySteel86
Team Captain

Member Number: 20340
Default Re: Offensive line looked good

Quote:
Originally Posted by drucifer View Post
They played NASTY!! Love it when Colon (it was him wasn't it?) kept driving what-his-name into the ground after he'd already been pancaked. Like he was trying to bury him LOL
To me, that was the most exciting play of the game! Even Chris Collinsworth said, "now that's Steeler football!!!!" Freaking Awesome!!!
EbonySteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:35 AM   #22
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,855 Times in 6,101 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Long, solid line forms for Steelers at tackle

October 24, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers discovered something besides a road victory Sunday night in Cincinnati: An offensive line that looks as if it can shake off the shaky reputation of its past and perform at a level not seen from them in several years.

The line might have had its best game against a good Cincinnati front, and it did so with two of the five positions filled by backups. One of those second-teamers, though, might soon become a regular starter.

Rookie Mike Adams made his first NFL start because of an injury to right tackle Marcus Gilbert and did well enough to have Mike Tomlin singing his praises again Tuesday.

"We're optimistic about his talent level and what he's capable of being. He didn't do anything to hurt that assessment. I think he's continuing to be a guy on the rise. I think his performance was a solid one. I thought he was good in the run game. I thought he was good on the second level, some combination blocks, and I thought he represented himself well in pass pro[tection]. It's a nice next step for him."

This comes from a coach who through the years would hold back praise for rookies and point out that they were, well, rookies, especially after one like Adams has taken so few snaps.

Adams has done well in the past seven quarters playing for the injured Gilbert, and that sets up a possible long-term competition between their past two second-round draft choices. Or does it?

After the Steelers drafted guard David DeCastro, they said they were moving Gilbert, who started 14 games at right tackle as a rookie in 2011, to left tackle. Then, they drafted Adams, a left tackle from Ohio State, in the second round. Then, they re-signed left tackle Max Starks.

The plan shifted. Starks would play left tackle until Adams was ready to move in, and Gilbert would remain at right tackle. But their thinking could again change, especially if Adams continues to perform well at right tackle.

Adams did not do so well as a left tackle in the preseason. One source from another team cited him as too slow-footed for the position. Quick feet are not as necessary at right tackle, a more run-blocking position and one that often has a tight end to his right and does not protect the quarterback's blind side or usually go against the opponent's top pass rusher.

On the other hand, Tomlin has said left tackle is Gilbert's more natural position, and Gilbert said he'd prefer the left side if given a choice.

It sounds as if the Steelers young tackles could be in for a switch in sides. Neither is ready to move Starks out on the left. Adams, though, could stay at right tackle this season if he continues to play well there.

Sunday, Adams will face Washington Redskins outside linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, a first-round draft choice in 2011 with 3 1/2 sacks and an interception this season.
"I'm sure he is excited about having the next opportunity to prove his skills against a solid pass rusher like Kerrigan," Tomlin said.

Getting healthier

Tomlin said center Maurkice Pouncey should practice today and return to play Sunday. Pouncey missed the game in Cincinnati with a knee injury.

Gilbert and Troy Polamalu will miss their second consecutive game with injuries. Tomlin said halfbacks Rashard Mendenhall and Isaac Redman have an "opportunity to participate" as well as backup linebacker Chris Carter.

If Mendenhall and Redman return, it will create an intriguing decision for the coach. Not only who will start among those two and Jonathan Dwyer, but also who might not dress for the game. When all were healthy, Dwyer was inactive for two games in a row.

Dwyer's 122 yards rushing in Cincinnati, however, were the most by a Steelers back in more than a year.

"I thought all the running backs did a nice job, highlighted by Jonathan Dwyer's efforts," Tomlin said.

"He's a guy in the group that's working. He's evolving and maturing as a player and as a person. It's good to see him take advantage of opportunities when presented. I think that helps his cause and ours. He's a guy in development. We like how it's going thus far as we sit here today."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz2ABTYrzFB
Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,693 Posts

Watch the last game vs the Bengals. The 3rd down play on the first drive where Wallace drops the pass that was right in his hands.

Adams gets too high in his pass set, does not strike the rusher, but instead the rusher strikes him and gets him so violently that he pushes Adams back into the pocket and nearly sacks Ben. That is the kind of lack of strength and sloppy technique that Adams needs to improve.

Ability of a world-beater....technique of an egg beater. That is what Adams currently is. IMO.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #24
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,026 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Watch the last game vs the Bengals. The 3rd down play on the first drive where Wallace drops the pass that was right in his hands.

Adams gets too high in his pass set, does not strike the rusher, but instead the rusher strikes him and gets him so violently that he pushes Adams back into the pocket and nearly sacks Ben. That is the kind of lack of strength and sloppy technique that Adams needs to improve.

Ability of a world-beater....technique of an egg beater. That is what Adams currently is. IMO.
Can't coach ability, can coach technique.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #25
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

i'll take him over jonathan 'rollerskates' scott!
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,769 Times in 4,803 Posts

I think the general consensus is that Adams has the potential to be a pro-bowl tackle, but on the right side. He's shown flashes of brilliance when he's playing RT, something he's more comfortable with. His technique needs to be coached up and polished, but his ability and talent - albeit in small flashes so far - has been impressive. When Gilbert comes back, I think it's time to have the line look like this ...

Gilbert - Colon - Pouncey - Foster (for now) - Adams

... and let him develop in meaningful games. Throw Paulson or Miller over there to give him some help, but let the kid develop. That line when DeCastro is healthy is going to be a strong point for this team which is a breath of fresh air compared to the last 5 or 6 years of a ridiculous, carousel-type offensive line.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i'll take him over jonathan 'rollerskates' scott!
Really setting the bar high
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #28
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
When Gilbert comes back, I think it's time to have the line look like this ...

Gilbert - Colon - Pouncey - Foster (for now) - Adams
not sure if i like gilbert over starks at LT right now
Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM   #29
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,650 Times in 10,402 Posts
My Mood: Dead

I do like the goal-line line-up of

Starks - The Colon - Pouncey - DD/Foster - Gilbert - Adams

In fact, CLEV used SIX OL in several games recently... I would not mind seeing all six of them on the field.

[Obviously, I'm projecting DD in the line-up, for the end of the year... but, the point is still the same: playing both Adams AND Gilbert is a nice idea.]
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM   #30
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Ben had a lot of time to throw today, and dwyer over 100 yards, and no injuries. O-line is starting to gel and I like this Adams kid