Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 10-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,269 Times in 563 Posts
Default Re: What that game showed me....

As far as our defense is concerned, we have the talent to be at least "very good" all of the time and "even better" when Troy is playing and others such as Harrison and Woodley are healthy and the Cincy game demonstrated that.

In a way, I think that Troy's extended absence is a good thing because it has forced LeBeau to design defensive schemes that can work without him. There is no reason at all why our success or failure on defense should be tied to the presence of just one player and the Cincy game proved that our success doesn't (and shouldn't) revolve around Troy.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 AM   #12
ZoneBlitzer
Head Coach

Member Number: 16775
My Mood: Doubtful

Well I just watched the game again and I saw the same problems that have plagued this team this year - the offense.

The offense needs to play better situational football. They had two possessions in the final quarter where they could've helped the defense out by extending the lead. They didn't. They moved the ball some but got no points by failing to sustain drives. Ben got selfish on one attempt by trying a low percentage pass deep to Brown instead of hitting Miller to move the chains and the other was another Wallace drop from a very poor ball from Ben.

There's still room for improvement in Ben's game. With the speed that these receivers have he needs to lead them more so that they can catch it in stride on the run. I saw several balls that were behind his receivers. He's got the capability so he should be able to do it. I can only hope that Haley is calling him out on it. If he can hit these receivers in stride then the YAC will go through the roof. He'll get his big plays then.

Had this been a different opponent, one that ran the hurry up or played with a greater sense of urgency, the Steelers would've been mightily stressed and challenged right up to the final seconds of the game. Thankfully it was the compliant Bengals who appear to bend over backwards to accommodate the Steelers by losing so pathetically and without any kind of fight whatsoever on national TV.

For years this team has been carried by the defense. It is now time for the offense to shoulder most of the burden now. With the talent that they have on that side of the ball, this team should be able to put teams like the Bengals away and give their D a breather. They failed to do that yet again on Sunday night. Sure, they got the win but bad habits still persist especially on the offensive side of the ball.
ZoneBlitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,923 Posts
My Mood: Fine

I'll hold off on judging this version of the Steelers and their leadership. One solid half is not a trend - that said, they might just have found something to hang their hats on in that half. THAT Steeler team is very capable of contending - just needs to see the same product on the field and start stacking those Ws

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 AM   #14
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,269 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfury02 View Post
I'll hold off on judging this version of the Steelers and their leadership. One solid half is not a trend - that said, they might just have found something to hang their hats on in that half. THAT Steeler team is very capable of contending - just needs to see the same product on the field and start stacking those Ws
Agreed.

But as you said, if they've actually found something then that proves it can be done and sometimes that's all it takes to turn things around. It's like learning how to play chords on a guitar; it seems impossible at first but then you get that moment where your fingers move perfectly into the right position and all of a sudden you go from "I can't do this" to wanting to learn more chords.

Sometimes the little things make all the difference.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,923 Posts
My Mood: Fine

probably one of the best "Tomlinisms" sums up what you are saying. I know they can, but do they have "it"

"It's not about what you're capable of, It's about what you're willing to do."

Are these fellas ready to put in the extra time, suffer, sacrifice, and want it, and want it badly ?

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Aaron Smith......Missed leader..........Mendy got alot of years in him......
Old 10-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #17
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897

Sometimes I wonder if we get confused between what gets us fired up and what works for the team.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,199 Times in 3,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Disclaimer: I am NOT a coach, nor have I ever played a down of football at a level higher than varsity, but from that Cincy game...

...I don't think this team is lacking in talent, and I don't know how much scheme is to blame for our struggles thus far.

This team LACKS LEADERSHIP this year, more than anything else.

All it took was a spirited performance from Colon, and a big pick by Woodley, and this team came alive.

They have not played with any urgency, fire, or desire this entire season until this last game. They are missing Farrior's leadreship and Ward's voice in thelockerroom this year. Nobody else is getting these guys fired up before the games. Not even Tomlin, who is too much of a "player's coach".

If this team can find some inspiration in each game like they did against Cincy (that game should not have even been close- if not for all the costly drops by a WR we won't name here), and with all the other parts starting to come together in the weeks to come (Pouncey, Polamalu, Gibert, DeCastro, Mendenhall and Redman rejoining the starting crew), we are still in business...

S-2-7
i think this post is spot on. if theres 2 things alot of steelerfans discount it is leadership and talent. they think its something you pick up at the store on the way home from work.

people couldnt run aaron smith, hines ward, and aaron smith out of town fast enough. they think youth alone trumps talent and leadership.

thy buy into the coachspeak "next man up" and "the standard is the standard". the coach HAS to say this to keep his job and instill confidence in his millionaire players. when coach says it to the fans, he is just blowing smoke up their ass.

coach cant say there is a leadership void because it makes HIM look weak, but everybody knows professionals are led by their peers as well. the coach HAS to say there are men capable of filling that void (....eventually) but its naive to think it happens overnight.

look at the 06 season. people tripped over themselves coming up with excuses and reasons why the defending champs were 2-6. it was bens motorcycle accident. it was cowher who mentally checked out (biggest BS line i ever heard as proven by their 6-2 finish).

look at the leaders we lost. bettis, von oelhoffen, randle el was the spiritual leader. i think thats the year hartings retired as well.

people were calling bettis old, washed up, and a waste of money as early as 2003, yet we rode on his back all the way to detroit.

leadership is why bill cowher didnt place rod woodson on IR in 1995 and leadership is why tomlin didnt do the same with aaron smith 15 years later. sure we lost the superbowls those years, but i doubt we even make it w/o the intangibles their presense brought to the team.

as for all the talent lost due to injuries vs denver in the playoffs and into this year, my favorite example was how sean mahan and kemoeatu were suitable capable replacements for future HOF faneca and pro bowler jeff hartings, FB dan kreider, yet willie parker was suddenly a bum because he couldnt hit "the [imaginary] holes", danced, lost a step, was washed up, yadda yadda yadda....