Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Has Cam Newton lost Charlotte?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
I'm going to come off bias because I'm a huge, huge, huge Cam Newton fan but - what's going on in Carolina isn't his fault.

He's an absolute beast of a quarterback and his skill and abilities are off the chart. He's always projected - to me - as a better quarterback than Andrew Luck. The only thing wrong in Carolina right now is the absolute horrific and team-ruining playcalling. They've invested large portions of their cap into the backfield in Williams, Tolbert and Stewart but are making Cam win games with not only his arm, but his legs as well.

The complete and total lack of any WR's behind Smith is forcing Cam to be Aaron Rodgers with his throws, something a Sophomore can't be. It's ridiculous that he's getting the heat for their losses. It's also unrealistic to expect quarterbacks with little-to-no help at receivers and underachieving running backs. People are praising Andrew Luck and RGIII but completely writing off Newton which is laughable. Look at the offensive depth for each of those teams, and then look at the depth for the Panthers. That, combined with the injuries that have plagued the Panthers. If you think the Steelers' injuries were plaguing this team, look at what happened to the Panthers. Beason, Gamble and Kalil all went down. Beason is the heart and sole of that defense, and is arguably the second best ILB behind only Willis. Gamble is a shut down CB and could be defined as "being the secondary". Losing Ryan Kalil would be very, very similar if Pouncey went down and had to be put on IR - that OLine would crumble, forcing Cam to put the offense on his back and lead this team as a Sophomore quarterback.

As for Cam dancing and "acting like a fool" - he was trying to get the crowd into it. You could hear a pin drop in that stadium, despite the fact they just scored. He did very similar things in Auburn when they were down a couple of TD's and it worked miracles. Getting the crowd into it and being the 12th man on defense is something Steelers fans take for granted and I'm the first to admit it. Heinz Field is always into it, especially after Renegade. The Panthers don't have it so easy - they've been bad for a long time and haven't been to, let alone won, a Championship in a long time.

As for Marty Hurney - he was a terrible, terrible general manager. Blaming Cam Newton for his firing is ridiculous. His terrible draft picks and decisions regarding cap space has led to Cam having only Smith to throw the ball to. People are saying Greg Olsen is a valuable asset - and these people should be comedians. His inability to catch or make the big play when he has to help his quarterback. Again, Steelers fans are used to seeing Miller being Ben's safety blanket and assuming other teams have this kind of asset to throw to.

People have to remember he's still a kid. He's still learning and developing. He's made some mistakes and no one is arguing that. Sulking and calling your own teammates out is a good way to lose your team and he's gotta mature and learn this quickly. Once he does, though, he's going to be an elite quarterback. He has all the tools and potential to be an elite quarterback. He just needs a couple weapons and a general manager that knows what he's doing with the cap.
His attitude is what's taking things right down the shitter... his skills (off the charts is a bit generous...) don't matter when you're sulking on the sidelines and calling out your teammates. If you want to be the best, then act like it. Be a leader, a teammate, represent the best of what you are and what you want to be. Until he shows that, then he's missing one of the primary tools an elite quarterback needs, which is leadership ability.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 10,377 Times in 4,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelax04 View Post
His attitude is what's taking things right down the shitter... his skills (off the charts is a bit generous...) don't matter when you're sulking on the sidelines and calling out your teammates. If you want to be the best, then act like it. Be a leader, a teammate, represent the best of what you are and what you want to be. Until he shows that, then he's missing one of the primary tools an elite quarterback needs, which is leadership ability.
You're hitting the nail on the head. His attitude has to change if this team is going to rally around him, but he's not the reason this offense isn't working. You're looking at 12.2 million off the cap for the stable of running backs they have. Shedding about half of that signs a top dollar wide receiver to give Cam another option. Smith can't be the target every time. LaFell hasn't shown he can really do anything, and again, Greg Olsen is not a legitimate option for him. Behind them sits Armanti Edwards and David Gettis, guys a lot of you would ask "who?" and rightfully so. Grabbing a WR in this offseason has to be priority number 1 for this team. If they're picking high, snagging guys like Hunter or Allen would give the Panthers the opportunity to have their young WRs develop with their young QB.

There's no question his leadership ability has to improve. Him sulking isn't going to accomplish anything and only create more of a distance between himself and his team. However, he's doing what he can with what he has and that should be the most alarming thing to the Panthers' front office.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
You're hitting the nail on the head. His attitude has to change if this team is going to rally around him, but he's not the reason this offense isn't working. You're looking at 12.2 million off the cap for the stable of running backs they have. Shedding about half of that signs a top dollar wide receiver to give Cam another option. Smith can't be the target every time. LaFell hasn't shown he can really do anything, and again, Greg Olsen is not a legitimate option for him. Behind them sits Armanti Edwards and David Gettis, guys a lot of you would ask "who?" and rightfully so. Grabbing a WR in this offseason has to be priority number 1 for this team. If they're picking high, snagging guys like Hunter or Allen would give the Panthers the opportunity to have their young WRs develop with their young QB.

There's no question his leadership ability has to improve. Him sulking isn't going to accomplish anything and only create more of a distance between himself and his team. However, he's doing what he can with what he has and that should be the most alarming thing to the Panthers' front office.
You're beating a dead horse about who is at fault for Carolina losing football games and why the offense isn't working. I'm talking about whether Cam has lost the support of his home city or not (Thread Title...). He has shown no leadership ability and yes, I believe, he has lost a large majority of support in his home city through his actions moreso than Carolina losing games. Everything you're saying are explanations/excuses for poor performance on the field, but I'm talking about his poor performance and attitude off of it. I still stick by my assessment that his skills and abilities are far from "off the charts" (as is his potential to be elite) when he is lacking so deeply of leadership skills, something that could be argued is just as important as athletic ability.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:09 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,927 Times in 3,500 Posts

Nice shot from Brian Billick

"The problem I'm having with it is, Cam Newton right now I think he's not only pouting because they're 1-5, I think he also realizes he's not the prettiest girl in the room anymore. RGIII's kinda taken some of the attention away from him I don't think he likes that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...-show/1650557/
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
steelax04 (10-25-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #15
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

He's an absolute beast of a quarterback and his skill and abilities are off the chart. He's always projected - to me - as a better quarterback than Andrew Luck. The only thing wrong in Carolina right now is the absolute horrific and team-ruining playcalling. They've invested large portions of their cap into the backfield in Williams, Tolbert and Stewart but are making Cam win games with not only his arm, but his legs as well.

Being an athletic freak does not equal success in the NFL. Even last season the Panthers were 6-10. We know Cam is a great athlete. But athleticism only goes so far when the head attached to that body is lousy, and it's quite obvious by Cam's immaturity that he's kind of a headcase.

As for Cam dancing and "acting like a fool" - he was trying to get the crowd into it. You could hear a pin drop in that stadium, despite the fact they just scored. He did very similar things in Auburn when they were down a couple of TD's and it worked miracles. Getting the crowd into it and being the 12th man on defense is something Steelers fans take for granted and I'm the first to admit it. Heinz Field is always into it, especially after Renegade. The Panthers don't have it so easy - they've been bad for a long time and haven't been to, let alone won, a Championship in a long time.

Then what does Cam do after that? He goes back on the bench and sulks. The dancing was dumb enough, but going back on the bench to pout made it even more dumb and pointless. Because of this terrible leadership ability, it looked like a little show for Cam to just show off for the camera, and not to inspire his team.

You know what would be a more effective way to "get the crowd back into it"? You keep the good play going and inspire your team. I'm not sure if it hasn't occurred to you or not, but this isn't College. This isn't Auburn where you have a bunch of kids cheering and idolizing you. It's the NFL.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,212 Posts
My Mood: Tired

If he was wise he'd listen to what Steve Smith told him. He acts like a spoiled brat and pouts when he doesn't get his way. He needs to stop making stupid decisions and forcing throws into coverage. He just isn't playing smart football right now. This kid has the ability to be very good as we saw with him his rookie year but his attitude and demeanor are dragging him down. I drafted him in one of my fantasy leagues this year and outside of the game they won against the Saints he has been sorely disappointing.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote