Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001
Default Rainey Now a Dominant Special Teams Player

This wa really Rainey's coming out game. Every time he touched the ball on the kickoff, I felt like he could return it. Teams will probably be reluctant to kick to him, like a Cribs or Hester. Another great player taken by Colbert! Hope Rainey's injury isn't serious. I want to see us use him more and more
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,553 Times in 2,784 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Rainey Now a Dominant Special Teams Player

i just hope the ribs aren't broken or we won't see him for another few weeks.

sanders did very well in his place however. we can be a very good ST unit if we can avoid flags (which we did today)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

We unfortunately didn't capitalize on the special teams play today which is something we need to improve on. But I definitely like what I see. Doubt we see Rainey or Brown next week vs the Chiefs. Our O-lIne group has stayed healthy for the most part, now it seems like we are getting injured in the skills positions. Can't seem to get it right!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Rainey seems to be exciting, I worry he won't be able to withstand the beating he will take in the NFL.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Rainey seems to be exciting, I worry he won't be able to withstand the beating he will take in the NFL.
That's pretty much why he'll never be a Darren Sproles type RB who sees a lot of action. He hasn't shown the ability to break tackles and doesn't have the strength of Sproles. He can possibly develop into a very effective hybrid slot receiver/RB to use in spot situations or more depending on how he progresses... Kind of similar to Dexter McCluster. That would preserve his career
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,116 Times in 4,701 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Steelers: False Rumor About Chris Rainey Injury Spreading

Chris Rainey is on the team plane home. A punctured lung and broken rib are serious injuries and require immediate attention. There is no way he would be allowed on the plane home if he had either injury or both. Especially a punctured lung which can be very dangerous if not treated immediately.

Chris Rainey was speared by a Giants player in the ribs on a kick return today during the Steelers 24-20 win. The play should have received a flag as Rainey was down and the play was blown dead before the Giants player made the hit on Rainey. No flag was thrown, however, and before making it to the sideline Rainey collapsed on the field. He was taken to a local area hospital following the play for x-rays on his ribs.

There was some thought that Rainey had broken at least one rib and that he may have punctured a lung. When that was stated many people began taking it as a fact that Rainey had broken a rib and had a punctured lung. In fact, there are already groups on Twitter asking for prayers for a quick recovery for Rainey.

The problem is that Rainey doesnít have any broken ribs and does not have a punctured lung. Rainey has bruised ribs and expects to have some pain early in the week, but may be able to play next week and will likely, at most, miss only one game. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted the following over an hour ago:

Chris Rainey tells me his ribs are not broken. Expects to be "really uncomfortable" for couple days but not miss game time. #Steelers

Iíll take his word over random people spreading rumors online as he covers the team and has talked face to face with Rainey after the injury. So until the Steelers give an official report you can stop worrying about Rainey because it seems about 99.9% percent that he is not seriously injured and should be back soon.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ading/12132142
Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Todd Haley
Water Boy

Member Number: 24456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers: False Rumor About Chris Rainey Injury Spreading

Chris Rainey is on the team plane home. A punctured lung and broken rib are serious injuries and require immediate attention. There is no way he would be allowed on the plane home if he had either injury or both. Especially a punctured lung which can be very dangerous if not treated immediately.

Chris Rainey was speared by a Giants player in the ribs on a kick return today during the Steelers 24-20 win. The play should have received a flag as Rainey was down and the play was blown dead before the Giants player made the hit on Rainey. No flag was thrown, however, and before making it to the sideline Rainey collapsed on the field. He was taken to a local area hospital following the play for x-rays on his ribs.

There was some thought that Rainey had broken at least one rib and that he may have punctured a lung. When that was stated many people began taking it as a fact that Rainey had broken a rib and had a punctured lung. In fact, there are already groups on Twitter asking for prayers for a quick recovery for Rainey.

The problem is that Rainey doesnít have any broken ribs and does not have a punctured lung. Rainey has bruised ribs and expects to have some pain early in the week, but may be able to play next week and will likely, at most, miss only one game. Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review tweeted the following over an hour ago:

Chris Rainey tells me his ribs are not broken. Expects to be "really uncomfortable" for couple days but not miss game time. #Steelers

Iíll take his word over random people spreading rumors online as he covers the team and has talked face to face with Rainey after the injury. So until the Steelers give an official report you can stop worrying about Rainey because it seems about 99.9% percent that he is not seriously injured and should be back soon.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...ading/12132142
Good to hear!!!!
Todd Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,116 Times in 4,701 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Steelers Notebook: It hurts to laugh, but RB Chris Rainey still plans to play

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
November 9, 2012

Steelers rookie RB Chris Rainey has sore ribs -- so sore, it hurts him to laugh. But he fully expects to be on the field Monday night when Pittsburgh plays the Chiefs.

Teammates quickly recognized that rookie RB Chris Rainey is a fun-loving guy who likes to joke around.

Now, they're using it against him.

Rainey left Sunday's win over the New York Giants with sore ribs -- an injury that, while not impossible to play through, is generally quite painful while doing day-to-day activities.

Like laughing.

"I try to keep from laughing," Rainey said, "but the guys are trying to make me laugh on purpose.... Not fair."

Despite the heavy wrap Rainey's abdomen is under while he practices, Rainey expects to play Monday night against Kansas City.

"Oh, I'm definitely (playing)," Rainey said. "If I can still run, I'm definitely going."

Other injuries: With one exception, Pittsburgh's official practice report Friday was identical to the one it put out Thursday.

The one change wasn't a positive one. RT Marcus Gilbert didn't practice Friday. He practiced on a limited basis on Thursday -- the first time he's done even as much as that over the past three weeks.

WR Antonio Brown (ankle), S Troy Polamalu (calf) and LB Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) also did not practice Friday. None are expected to play Monday. RB Rashard Mendenhall (Achilles) was limited Friday and also is not expected to play against the Chiefs.

In addition to Rainey, RB Jonathan Dwyer (quadricep) and K Shaun Suisham (ankle) practiced fully and are on track to play.

Cotchery promoted: WR Jerricho Cotchery had opportunities to sign elsewhere as a free agent in the offseason. After seeing firsthand the talented young trio of WRs Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders ahead of him on the depth chart, he knew he'd be no more than a No. 4 option with the Steelers when he maybe could be a No. 2 or No. 3 on another team.

Cotchery didn't care. Now, his time has come for a more featured role.

"I knew what the situation was for me," Cotchery said. "It's where I want to be."

During three-receiver sets, Cotchery will fill WR Antonio Brown's role while WR Emmanuel Sanders goes back to the slot.

"I'll be all over the place," Cotchery said. "That's the saying around here -- 'The more you can do.'"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...-plans-to-play
Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Rainey is amazing but man is he small. Just scary to watch him run with the ball. Afraid he's gonna fumble or get killed! Still awesome to see him make plays.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 2,100 Times in 946 Posts
My Mood: Cool

he's fun to watch but how many hard hits can he take before he breaks something I wonder