Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Blitzberg06
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11841
Default Re: How to classify this win

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Simms called out a ref?
When?
I guess I missed that one.

Phil Simms has spent the better part of his broadcasting career playing it safe and acting as a tool for the League and wouldn't step in to a controversy even with Goodell's permission, so I'd love to know what he said!

He was silent on the PI call that helped set up the Giants' first score. He even said that he wasn't going to "get into" whether or not it was a good call.

WTF?

If you don't address THAT, then what was there to talk about?
That call sucked and everyone who saw it knew that!
That's his way of saying "What the hell?"
Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
BKAnthem
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13149

Damn Keenan Lewis has stepped it up this year...Mike Adams needs to get his ass back in the weight room or work on his hand punch, something....... JPP was tossing him around everytime he moved to his side
BKAnthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,318 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
I thought it was great, even Phil Simms called out the refs.
YES, I give Simms a lot of credit for saying what he did about the PI call on Lewis, the "hit to the head" on Clark, the "tuck rule" non call and the no call on the "block in the back" on the return.

Make no mistake...Phil Simms is a NYG hall of fame QB and a professional broadcaster trying to point out bad calls while not insulting the NFL and its officials that so many fans insisted that the NFL open its wallets for.

Simms called that game objectively, whereas Dan Fouts sounded like a Raiders homer when the Steelers played the Raiders.

Great job Phil Simms
Old 11-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,318 Times in 659 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAnthem View Post
Damn Keenan Lewis has stepped it up this year...Mike Adams needs to get his ass back in the weight room or work on his hand punch, something....... JPP was tossing him around everytime he moved to his side
Yeah, I am glad to see Lewis playing well. I thought we had a great draft when we got Hood, Urbik, Lewis, Wallace with our first 4 picks.

I still wish we kept Kraig Urbik.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #15
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

How to classify this win?

Well...I hate this phrase but it was a "Steeler Football" win.
Working with what was given to us, taking chances when necessary, a solid running game and solid defense.

Classic Steelers.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Brett Cottrell
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18842

I'd rather classify the craziest, ugliest, worst-officiated win than any loss.
Brett Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #17
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Simms called out a ref?
When?

Phil Simms has spent the better part of his broadcasting career playing it safe and acting as a tool for the League and wouldn't step in to a controversy even with Goodell's permission, so I'd love to know what he said!

He was silent on the PI call that helped set up the Giants' first score. He even said that he wasn't going to "get into" whether or not it was a good call.

WTF?

The only thing i remember Simms saying is he wont interfere with the refs calls...what a tard!

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,835 Times in 2,969 Posts

Kovacevic: The Steelers are back ... right?

By Dejan Kovacevic
Updated: Monday, November 5, 2012

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Steelers are back.

There really is no other way to put it, right?

Not after they set down the Super Bowl champion Giants, 24-20, Sunday, thanks to a fabulous fourth quarter that was the antithesis of all those early-season collapses.

Not after they avoided getting flustered by some of the worst officiating you’ll see in one half of football.

Not after they shrugged off what should have been a backbreaker of a decision by Mike Tomlin to have his, um, kicker try to run the ball.

Not after they coolly dealt with a discomfiting setting in which they flew up and back to Newark, N.J., at dawn and dusk and, at the same time, weren’t “even a little inconvenienced compared to what people are going through here,” as Mike Wallace gracefully referenced the region’s victims of Hurricane Sandy.

No, after all that, a three-game winning streak, a 5-3 record and a fresh strut to their step, it’s safe to say: The Steelers are back.

Or so I’d thought.

Running this concept from stall to stall in the locker room afterward, the reaction was remarkably — perhaps tellingly — similar.

“Back?” Casey Hampton said. “Naw, we’re gettin’ there, man. We know how dominant we can be, the type of team we can be. We know we’re playing OK, but we can be a lot better.”

“Getting there,” Chris Rainey said with a grin through the grimace of bruised ribs. “Just getting there.”

The most pointed response, predictably, came from Ryan Clark.

“No, we’re not back. We’re just playing football,” he said. “I think to be ‘back,’ we had to be considered gone, right? Only y’all considered us gone. I understood the type of men we had in here, the type of talent. But no, we’re not back. We just won a couple football games.”

Yeah, but … OK, you can’t fight City Hall on this stuff.

Still, let’s be real: It would be an injustice to describe this as anything less than the Steelers’ best showing since that thorough dissection of the Patriots last year at Heinz Field.

The athletes are right. This wasn’t dominant. It wasn’t the way the Steelers’ championship teams might have controlled the event front to finish. This team tips away passes. Those teams slammed the opposing quarterback 6 feet into the ground. It’s not the same feel.

And yet, this 2012 edition is taking on its own identity:

It’s dynamic.

It’s deep.

And it’s damned tough.

You see the dynamic every week with all the breakaway receivers, and you’re seeing it now in the return game. Once Emmanuel Sanders, Wallace and Rainey sprung free, the Giants had no answers.

“We’ve got a lot of guys who can bust it open,” Jerricho Cotchery said. “Eventually, we did.”

You see the depth where few would have expected.

The same Keenan Lewis who went without a solitary pass defensed in the first three games delivered three of those Sunday in the first quarter alone to keep the great Eli Manning from going all guns blazing.

The same running game that had been stuck at a historic crawl now makes it impossible to tell who’s No. 1, with Rashard Mendenhall, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman leapfrogging each other week after week.

Ask me, and Redman’s bulldozing 147 yards should make him No. 1.

Ask me next week, and I’ll probably answer differently.

And not enough praise can be heaped on an offensive line that’s running downhill with so much gravity they could be dubbed Newton’s Line. Give credit to the backs, but just remember that the line is the constant.

Loved this line from rookie tackle Mike Adams, who was burned early but recovered nicely: “To have a number of backs rushing well behind us, it’s something we take a lot of pride in.”

The toughness is my favorite facet, though.

Stop and think to how many times Sunday this team experienced something so deflating, so dispiriting you thought that was it.

The phantom pass interference call on Lewis?

“Didn’t touch the guy,” he said.

The flag on Clark for hitting the Giants’ Victor Cruz “in the head,” according to anatomically challenged referee Bill Leavy, who clearly saw Cruz’s head down where his ribs should be?

“I tried to obey the rules,” Clark said.

The weird — though at least debatable — ruling that Ben Roethlisberger fumbled when a) his arm moved forward b) the ball was still touching his hand and c) the ball was actually thrown forward?

“I had complete control,” Roethlisberger said.

Those officiating mistakes essentially handed New York 14 points.

And what about Tomlin’s bizarre, boneheaded call for Shaun Suisham to take that circus-like flip on a fake field goal rather than going for a fourth-and-1 with, you know, his franchise quarterback?

“They overcome bad coaching sometimes,” the coach said of his players. “That’s on me.”

A team made of lesser stuff crumbles after just one of those events, never mind all of the above plus the 6-2 defending champs competing in an emotional cauldron. The Giants made no secret that they wished to play hero for a day, coach Tom Coughlin calling this “as disappointing a loss as we’ve had around here in a long time” mostly for that reason.

But these Steelers don’t crumble. And they didn’t.

Are they back?

Maybe not all the way, but …

“We’re getting better,” Heath Miller said. “And if that means we’re getting back to Steelers football, we’ll take it.”

http://triblive.com/sports/2891495-7...#ixzz2BUzXZQDa
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723

Steelers will officially be back when they whip the Ratbirds twice in 3 weeks and lock the division.
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OX1947 For This Useful Post:
Atlanta Dan (11-06-2012), FanSince72 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 PM   #20
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527

Quote:
Simms called out a ref?
When?

WTF?

I thought the same thing. It sounded more like Simms was covering for the Refs. During the NFL Replay I listened closer and Simms kept saying things like 'Game speed" and "that's a tough call to make" and a few other comments that made it sound like he was okay with the calls even if they were questionable. I guess it's all in your own perception.
grward is offline   Reply With Quote