Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: QB hit + forward incomplete pass = FUMBLE????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
I have to say Simms was very amusing last night, one time he stated the play was a pass then later stated he needed his glass's then proceeded to say yes i do see the ball coming loose......
I already disliked Simms, but this whole sequence from him took it to a whole new level. He stated twice that he didn't think it was a fumble. Then comes the commercial break and he does a flip-flop on the next replay of it right when they come back.

What a douche.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Relaxed

Simms is a Giants ballwasher. I am surprised he called it an incomplete at first. But coming back and saying later that it was indeed a fumble smacks of collusion and someone telling him to reverse his decision.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

One thing does need to be said here after looking at the replays. I know it was a 100% BS call...BUT, we had like 5 guys just stand there watching the Giants grab the ball and start running. I know Ben was assuring them with his hand signals that it was a dead ball, but THERE WAS NO WHISTLE. Until there's a whistle blown, you better dive your fat lineman ass onto that ball at all costs. We knew damned well by then how the refs were calling things. That ball should have been bottled up before a return could take place.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:11 PM   #14
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Simms is a Giants ballwasher. I am surprised he called it an incomplete at first. But coming back and saying later that it was indeed a fumble smacks of collusion and someone telling him to reverse his decision.
If he was calling the game biased, he would have said fumble from the outset and not even question the call.. I mean, that's right after he called the Clark hit a terrible one. Someone from the league or CBS no doubt put the word in that he should change his opinion on the call after the commercial break because it's not good for the league. Pretty pathetic and just shows what a Nazi type league Goodell is running.

As for the call, the ball may have moved when the defender initially made contact with Ben's arm, but Ben was still able to regain control of the ball, firmly grip it, and throw it forward. The open hand rule is when the QB has no control over the ball with his hand;and he essentially pushes it forward with the palm of his hand. Think of the Woodley forced fumble on Warner in the Super Bowl. Warner had no grip or control of the ball and basically flung it forward with the palm of his hand. The Eli Manning fumble last night was another example.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
If he was calling the game biased, he would have said fumble from the outset and not even question the call.. I mean, that's right after he called the Clark hit a terrible one. Someone from the league or CBS no doubt put the word in that he should change his opinion on the call after the commercial break because it's not good for the league. Pretty pathetic and just shows what a Nazi type league Goodell is running.

As for the call, the ball may have moved when the defender initially made contact with Ben's arm, but Ben was still able to regain control of the ball, firmly grip it, and throw it forward. The open hand rule is when the QB has no control over the ball with his hand;and he essentially pushes it forward with the palm of his hand. Think of the Woodley forced fumble on Warner in the Super Bowl. Warner had no grip or control of the ball and basically flung it forward with the palm of his hand. The Eli Manning fumble last night was another example.
Yea, the ball movement came while he was cocked to throw. It was 100% obvious that he had a full grip and control regained during his throwing motion.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
Solak
Water Boy

Member Number: 22087

It shouldn't matter if the ball shifted slightly after Bens arm was hit, he still had a grasp on it and it didn't come out until his arm was all the way forward. Bad call.
Solak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #17
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Maybe it went something like this:

- CBS Broadcast Booth (evening) -

Camera discovers Phil Simms commenting on the fumble.

(Phone rings in the booth, Jim Nantz answers)

NANTZ: "Hello"

VOICE ON PHONE: "I have Commissioner Goodell for Phil Simms"

NANTZ: "Oh, just a sec... hey Phil, Rodger Goodell for you"

SIMMS: (looking stunned): "For me?"

NANTZ: "Yes"

SIMMS: (straightening his tie and clearing his throat): "Yes Mr. Commissioner sir?"

GOODELL: Uh Phil, we think we may have been a little too obvious with that fumble call and our Twitter polls tell us that a lot of fans think we're throwing the game to the Giants because of the whole Sandy thing. So we'd like you to state publicly that you think it might have been a bad call.

SIMMS: Uh, I guess I could do that...I mean, I don't want to do anything to hurt the League or your good name, but if you say it's OK then I guess I could...

GOODELL: (interrupting): "Stop slobbering Phil, for Chrissake! Just say that you think it may have been a bad call. Don't dwell on it, just mention it, Got it?"

SIMMS: "Yes Mr. Commissioner sir"

GOODELL: "Good. Now put Nantz back on I have some more schmaltzy first responder and service people crap I need him to gush over".

SIMMS: "Uh, yessir! Thank you sir!"

GOODELL: (thinking to himself) ***"jeez what a f**kin' tool..."***
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,654 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

it's the justin tuck rule
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #19
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
One thing does need to be said here after looking at the replays. I know it was a 100% BS call...BUT, we had like 5 guys just stand there watching the Giants grab the ball and start running. I know Ben was assuring them with his hand signals that it was a dead ball, but THERE WAS NO WHISTLE. Until there's a whistle blown, you better dive your fat lineman ass onto that ball at all costs. We knew damned well by then how the refs were calling things. That ball should have been bottled up before a return could take place.
Kind of reminds us of that same type of play against Ravens last year....They all stood there thinking the play was dead.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #20
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

They are going to install X-ray capabilities in the replay cameras now, so we can see the QB's hand bones to know if his hand inside the glove lost its grip on the ball (even if the ball doesn't leave his hands).