Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #21
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy
Default Re: Doing much better w/o Marcus Gilbert in the line up?

I still like Gilbert better when healthy - Too often we need to keep Heath in there with Adams - it won't always be this way hopefully, but it is now. Would love to see Heath have the ability to head out for a catch every passing play because our RT can block one on one.
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #22
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I think the attitude is what changed on the O line. Pouncey and Starks are proven lineman, and as Tony mentioned, they are all huge, so I don't think changing RT alone was what made the BIG difference. As Colon said, they realized that they needed to play much better to be winners, and the attitude difference is visible. They are coming off the line fast and totally mauling the opposing D line on running plays. This is the line I expected with DeCastro and Adams reaching their full potential, yet it's already there with Adams still learning and DeCastro out. As for making a change, both players need development so it's a tough call, and I do think Gilbert is better at this time, but I wouldn't fix what isn't broke. Adams is playing well and will keep getting better and he hasn't injured any of his teamates, so keep him in. Somebody is going to get hurt anyway, I'd like to think not but you can't slam 1500lbs of man into another 1200lbs of man all year and not get hurt.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #23
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

The way we have the line right now is the way it needs to be. If Decastro comes back good, then we swap him in, but otherwise it's in our best interests to keep Adams in there to soak up experience while he has solid play around him. This way he elarns and builds confidence. Yea, he'll screw up at times, but it's all part of playing a rookie. It'll pay off soon enough.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #24
GMU Steeler
Team Owner

Member Number: 16173

I dunno but Adams is starting to really grow on me at RT.
GMU Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,254 Times in 4,389 Posts
My Mood: Worried

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU Steeler View Post
I dunno but Adams is starting to really grow on me at RT.
Adams has done well in run blocking but he cannot continue to give up two sacks a game, although I'll admit Justin Tuck and JPP are tough guys to go against.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Man, I wish I could see what you guys see in Adams. I honestly don't see anything positive out of this guy. All I ever see is a guy who routinely misses his assignment and if there ain't a TE in there to support him then I see Ben getting sacked or dancing to avoid a sack. I think Adams needs a full season under his belt before I even start to trust this guy.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #27
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,637 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Man, I wish I could see what you guys see in Adams. I honestly don't see anything positive out of this guy. All I ever see is a guy who routinely misses his assignment and if there ain't a TE in there to support him then I see Ben getting sacked or dancing to avoid a sack. I think Adams needs a full season under his belt before I even start to trust this guy.
He's a rookie, did you expect him to play lights out? He misses blocks every now and then, but that's something you expect from a guy who was viewed as a project player who'd be a decent backup in a couple years. Bottom line is that he's a GREAT run-blocker, and his excellence in that part of the game seems to be contributing to our running backs performances. The run game wasn't very good until Adams came in. Keep in mind that he's a rookie and that he went up against arguably one of the NFL's best defensive lines and managed to keep Ben upright far more than he ever stayed on his feet under Bruce Arians all of last year. Mad props to the rookie for his hard work and excellent blocking. He'll be a great starter one day, and I for one can't wait.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,235 Times in 2,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Three running backs get over 100 yards since Adams replaced Gilbert - I do not believe that is a complete coincidence.

More importantly, no other O-linemen have had their knee taken out by the RT collapsing on their leg since Gilbert left the lineup
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #29
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
He's a rookie, did you expect him to play lights out? He misses blocks every now and then, but that's something you expect from a guy who was viewed as a project player who'd be a decent backup in a couple years. Bottom line is that he's a GREAT run-blocker, and his excellence in that part of the game seems to be contributing to our running backs performances. The run game wasn't very good until Adams came in. Keep in mind that he's a rookie and that he went up against arguably one of the NFL's best defensive lines and managed to keep Ben upright far more than he ever stayed on his feet under Bruce Arians all of last year. Mad props to the rookie for his hard work and excellent blocking. He'll be a great starter one day, and I for one can't wait.
Trust me Bayz, I can't wait either. I hope he turns out to be fantastic. I understand he's s rookie. But there is something very clumsy about him and I have issues trusting him, way mote issues than I had with Gilbert starting, or other rookies in the past.. I'm gonna re watch the game tonight Bayz while my wife is at school.

I think a lot of Ben staying upright has more to do with the new.offense, and I think that the success of out run game has more to do with the fact that WE simply just run the ball and PRACTICE running the ball more than we did with Airhead. Also maybe our online isn't as gassed cause they arent pass blocking for 6 seconds 3/4 plays anymore. I think there are A LOT of changes that were made since last season for any of us to really pin point what may have worked better than the other. All I'm glad about is that its working Bayz. I'm having a hard on for this years team. WE are getting out swagger back and I haven't felt confident about ou
r team like I am now since 2008.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #30
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

I don't see it being mentioned too often, but moving Willie Colon to guard has done wonders for this oline. I know fans have been calling for that move for years. I realize we couldn't even attempt it the past couple years with his injuries, but the guys looks right at home in the guard position. The penalties, specifically false starts, are way down from him because he doesn't have to worry about the speed of outside rushers getting a step on him. His first step off the line was probably the weakest part of his game, and he always tried to overcompensate for it by getting an early start. Now that he doesn't have to worry about that as much, he can just focus on his blocking assignment and plowing through everything in his path. The guys was built to be a road grading guard.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote