Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #21
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Re: Obama vs Romney Gameday Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
… it’s a marathon. And like in any marathon – I’m picking the guy from Kenya.
The country is going with the guy with the peaceful smile on his face...

http://blogs.wsj.com/peggynoonan/201...onday-morning/
Peggy Noonan's Blog
Daily declarations from the Wall Street Journal columnist.

November 5, 2012, 11:35 AM

We begin with the three words everyone writing about the election must say: Nobody knows anything. Everyone’s guessing. I spent Sunday morning in Washington with journalists and political hands, one of whom said she feels it’s Obama, the rest of whom said they don’t know. I think it’s Romney. I think he’s stealing in “like a thief with good tools,” in Walker Percy’s old words. While everyone is looking at the polls and the storm, Romney’s slipping into the presidency. He’s quietly rising, and he’s been rising for a while.

Obama and the storm, it was like a wave that lifted him and then moved on, leaving him where he’d been. Parts of Jersey and New York are a cold Katrina. The exact dimensions of the disaster will become clearer when the election is over. One word: infrastructure. Officials knew the storm was coming and everyone knew it would be bad, but the people of the tristate area were not aware, until now, just how vulnerable to deep damage their physical system was. The people in charge of that system are the politicians. Mayor Bloomberg wanted to have the Marathon, to show New York’s spirit. In Staten Island last week they were bitterly calling it “the race through the ruins.” There is a disconnect.

But to the election. Who knows what to make of the weighting of the polls and the assumptions as to who will vote? Who knows the depth and breadth of each party’s turnout efforts? Among the wisest words spoken this cycle were by John Dickerson of CBS News and Slate, who said, in a conversation the night before the last presidential debate, that he thought maybe the American people were quietly cooking something up, something we don’t know about.

I think they are and I think it’s this: a Romney win.

Romney’s crowds are building—28,000 in Morrisville, Pa., last night; 30,000 in West Chester, Ohio, Friday It isn’t only a triumph of advance planning: People came, they got through security and waited for hours in the cold. His rallies look like rallies now, not enactments. In some new way he’s caught his stride. He looks happy and grateful. His closing speech has been positive, future-looking, sweetly patriotic. His closing ads are sharp—the one about what’s going on at the rallies is moving.

All the vibrations are right. A person who is helping him who is not a longtime Romneyite told me, yesterday: “I joined because I was anti Obama—I’m a patriot, I’ll join up But now I am pro-Romney.” Why? “I’ve spent time with him and I care about him and admire him. He’s a genuinely good man.” Looking at the crowds on TV, hearing them chant “Three more days” and “Two more days”—it feels like a lot of Republicans have gone from anti-Obama to pro-Romney.

Something old is roaring back. One of the Romney campaign’s surrogates, who appeared at a rally with him the other night, spoke of the intensity and joy of the crowd “I worked the rope line, people wouldn’t let go of my hand.” It startled him. A former political figure who’s been in Ohio told me this morning something is moving with evangelicals, other church-going Protestants and religious Catholics. He said what’s happening with them is quiet, unreported and spreading: They really want Romney now, they’ll go out and vote, the election has taken on a new importance to them.

There is no denying the Republicans have the passion now, the enthusiasm. The Democrats do not. Independents are breaking for Romney. And there’s the thing about the yard signs. In Florida a few weeks ago I saw Romney signs, not Obama ones. From Ohio I hear the same. From tony Northwest Washington, D.C., I hear the same.

Is it possible this whole thing is playing out before our eyes and we’re not really noticing because we’re too busy looking at data on paper instead of what’s in front of us? Maybe that’s the real distortion of the polls this year: They left us discounting the world around us.

And there is Obama, out there seeming tired and wan, showing up through sheer self discipline. A few weeks ago I saw the president and the governor at the Al Smith dinner, and both were beautiful specimens in their white ties and tails, and both worked the dais. But sitting there listening to the jokes and speeches, the archbishop of New York sitting between them, Obama looked like a young challenger—flinty, not so comfortable. He was distracted, and his smiles seemed forced. He looked like a man who’d just seen some bad internal polling. Romney? Expansive, hilarious, self-spoofing, with a few jokes of finely calibrated meanness that were just perfect for the crowd. He looked like a president. He looked like someone who’d just seen good internals.

Of all people, Obama would know if he is in trouble. When it comes to national presidential races, he is a finely tuned political instrument: He read the field perfectly in 2008. He would know if he’s losing now, and it would explain his joylessness on the stump. He is out there doing what he has to to fight the fight. But he’s still trying to fire up the base when he ought to be wooing the center and speaking their calm centrist talk. His crowds haven’t been big. His people have struggled to fill various venues. This must hurt the president after the trememdous, stupendous crowds of ’08. “Voting’s the best revenge”—revenge against who, and for what? This is not a man who feels himself on the verge of a grand victory. His campaign doesn’t seem president-sized. It is small and sad and lost, driven by formidable will and zero joy.

I suspect both Romney and Obama have a sense of what’s coming, and it’s part of why Romney looks so peaceful and Obama so roiled.

Romney ends most rallies with his story of the Colorado scout troop that in 1986 had an American flag put in the space shuttle Challenger, saw the Challenger blow up as they watched on TV, and then found, through the persistence of their scoutmaster, that the flag had survived the explosion. It was returned to them by NASA officials. When Romney, afterward, was shown the flag, he touched it, and an electric jolt went up his arm. It’s a nice story. He doesn’t make its meaning fully clear. But maybe he means it as a metaphor for America: It can go through a terrible time, a catastrophe, as it has economically the past five years, and still emerge whole, intact, enduring.

Maybe that’s what the coming Romney moment is about: independents, conservatives, Republicans, even some Democrats, thinking: We can turn it around, we can work together, we can right this thing, and he can help.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #22
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,056 Times in 3,063 Posts

All the vibrations are right.

please remove the dildos from your rectums.

really... vibrations???

you republicans crack me up.

true hipsters like me call it "vibe" (like the magazine).
Old 11-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
stairway27
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14630

Can someone please create a poll? Just have it say "Who did you vote for?" and have a list of all the candidates. I'd do it, but I don't know how.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,683 Times in 1,651 Posts
My Mood: Amused

I was debating it earlier, but why not: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=93314

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayz101 For This Useful Post:
stairway27 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #25
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,694 Times in 2,368 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

On the 1st day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

A doggie on a car roof.

On the 2nd day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

2 Cadillacs,

and a doggie on a car roof.

On the 3rd day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 4th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs

On the 5th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

5 chiiickenhaaaawk sonnnnnnns.

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 6th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 7th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

7 offshore bank accounts,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 8th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

8 tax loopholes,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 9th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

9 Bain takeovers,

8 tax loopholes,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 10th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

10 hidden tax returns,

9 Bain takeovers,

8 tax loopholes,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 11th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

11 tax shelters,

10 hidden tax returns,

9 Bain takeovers,

8 tax loopholes,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

On the 12th day of early voting, Mitt Romney gave to Ann...

12 maids a workin',

10 hidden tax returns,

9 Bain takeovers,

8 tax loopholes,

6 big old mansions,

4 home states,

3 prancing horses,

2 Cadillacs,

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #26
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

From someone who knows which way the wind is blowing-- Bob Dylan predicts Obama 'in a landslide' http://hrld.us/RGMFrA

Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
From someone who knows which way the wind is blowing-- Bob Dylan predicts Obama 'in a landslide' http://hrld.us/RGMFrA
Tell Bob to get back to writing music. What is he at, 50 albums? 3 hits?

Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM   #28
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Obama Will Win, Say Expectation Polls
By Justin Wolfers
November 06, 2012 1:08 PM EST
facebook twitter Share on Linked In add to Queue
Click 'Queue' to read later
Illustration by Bloomberg View

The nerd wars among different tribes of election prognosticators have been surprisingly vicious, given that they’re all basing their forecasts on the same thing: polls asking people whom they intend to vote for. But what if this is the wrong question?

I think it is.

In a recent academic research paper, David Rothschild and I examined the results of a different kind of poll, one that asks instead: “Who do you think will win?” We find convincing evidence that this alternative approach yields more accurate forecasts. In the 345 races we studied, determining a state's Electoral College vote, the consensus of the “who do you think will win?” poll picked the winner 81 percent of the time, compared with a hit rate of 69 percent for the standard polls of voter intentions. Roughly two-thirds of the time, we find that forecasts based on voter expectations are more accurate than those based on the usual polls of intentions.

So, what does this alternative -- we think, better and more accurate -- approach say about today’s race?

The latest Ipsos/Reuters Poll says that 51 percent of respondents expect President Barack Obama to win, versus 32 percent who expect a Mitt Romney victory (the remaining folks don’t have an opinion). The latest CNN/ORC poll scores it 57-36 for Obama; likewise it’s 55-35 in the ABC News/Washington Post poll; Pew scores it 52-30; and Politico/GWU/Battleground sees it 53-38.

There’s a clear consensus: A robust majority of the American electorate expects Obama to win re-election tonight. So that’s my tip, too.

Among the five polls I cited, an average of 54 percent of respondents expect Obama to win, while only 34 percent anticipate a Romney victory, and the rest don't have an opinion. Narrowing to those who have a view about who will win, 61 percent expect Obama to win, versus 39 percent for Romney.

What does this say about Obama’s likely winning margin? Here we need to be careful: Just because Obama has a 20-point lead in a voter-expectation poll doesn’t mean he’ll win the election by 20 points. Instead, we have to use a nifty formula we’ve developed for translating Obama’s lead in these polls of voter expectations into an expected winning margin.

Bottom line: Surveys of voter expectations suggest that Obama will win by about five points tonight.

This forecast is more aggressively pro-Obama than the conventional wisdom. Indeed, each of the five polls suggests a much closer race if one focuses on voting intentions. If you look at pre-Hurricane Sandy data from a sixth pollster, Gallup, they suggested that Romney had a five-point lead, while Gallup's contemporaneous voter-expectation polls implied that Obama was the one holding the five-point lead. Tonight we’ll see which question Gallup should have been relying on.

There's another advantage of our approach: Although the consensus of standard voter intentions polls has started to tip toward Obama over the past few days, polls asking voters who they think will win have consistently pointed to a robust Obama victory for the past few months. We’re not suddenly hopping aboard the “Obama will win” meme. It has been evident in our data for a while.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Tell Bob to get back to writing music. What is he at, 50 albums? 3 hits?

That would be insulting if current "hits" didn't suck so bad

Old 11-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #30
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
That would be insulting if current "hits" didn't suck so bad
I've never liked his "music". My damn cousin listens to the shit all the time and it's so bad I have to listen to Lou Reed to mellow it out.

Give me some 70's rock n roll and i'm fine..