Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #31
lardlad
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 10897
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Eating Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
Sorry guys, I lost faith in the team to be a playoff caliber squad after all the injuries and struggles to win on the road against bad teams (titans loss i thought was the nail in the coffin).

I will be the first to say I was wrong.

I will still predict losses week after week because it seems like whenever I do that we're undefeated
I will admit I was wrong all the way up to the 4th qtr. While I did think the Steelers would win all week, by halftime I was convinced they would not. Wallace's play changed it all around. I remember saying they needed two td's in the 4th, no way that's going to happen.

Glad to be wrong, but there was A LOT to overcome. – They did it.
lardlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Naa, no worries, maybe just "eating budgie bird" but that would be about it.
Now, if our "O" can finally completely catch up / make up, for our #1 "D" for the last several years, then I will Eat Crow, soon enough ....
;)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #33
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
oakland = got screwed by the refs, titans = defense was swiss cheese
D was bad, but without a blocked punt that they recovered inside our 1, we run away with that game I think
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #34
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
D was bad, but without a blocked punt that they recovered inside our 1, we run away with that game I think
Let's NOT go too far back now, aka, remember our SB loss to GB ?, 'cause that was a lot on our "O" for that one.
Our "D" matched theirs, but our "O" didn't. We should have won that SB. -no thanks to Ariens -of course.
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
Let's NOT go too far back now, aka, remember our SB loss to GB ?, 'cause that was a lot on our "O" for that one.
Our "D" matched theirs, but our "O" didn't. We should have won that SB. -no thanks to Ariens -of course.
The D gave us a chance to win at the end of the game, and I guess that's all you can really ask for against an offense like Green Bay's.. But I recall Green Bay receivers dropping a couple easy long balls. Jordy Nelson specifically dropped an easy bomb that would have put the game away. I think if we had a healthy Polamalu we would have won that game. He was a step late on many throws. Ben's pick 6 was brutal. Any way you cut it, the entire team did not perform up to task.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #36
LgFriess
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18715
My Mood: Cheerful

I swear since Colon put that walrus humping block on that kid from the Bungles, this team has had a completely different, intense attitude. Love it!
LgFriess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #37
SquirrelHillSteelNut
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24311
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
We should be 7-1. How the hell did we lose to tennessee and oakland for christ sake

i'm still trying to figure out these two losses. *shaking my head sadly*
SquirrelHillSteelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #38
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanata-Steeler View Post
We must have seen different games. Our offense did turn the ball over 3 times, but our defense forced zero turnovers, and as other posters have mentioned, GB receivers, namely Jordy Nelson and James Jones, dropped several passes that would have been huge. Specifically on GB's first drive, Nelson dropped a sure TD pass, and on their first drive of the 3rd quarter, James Jones dropped another sure-fire long gain, probably TD.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 AM   #39
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 25,355 Times in 10,290 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegrimey View Post
as other posters have mentioned, GB receivers, namely Jordy Nelson and James Jones, dropped several passes that would have been huge. Specifically on GB's first drive, Nelson dropped a sure TD pass, and on their first drive of the 3rd quarter, James Jones dropped another sure-fire long gain, probably TD.
Similarly, Randall Cobb fumbled the first punt return... but, recovered it. "If" PITT gets that fumble... "If" Nelson catches that pass... "If" Mike Wallace doesn't drop a TD pass... "If" Jones catches that pass... "If" BB doesn't overthrow Wallace, for a TD...

As in: those missed TDs essentially evened out.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:51 AM   #40
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,480 Times in 5,937 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Starkey: How the Steelers stabilized

Steelers running back Jonathan Dwyer eludes Washington's Madieau Williams and Reed Doughty during the first quarter Sunday, Oct. 28, 2012, at Heinz Field.

By Joe Starkey
Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Nobody expected the Steelers’ season to hit a crossroads in the third week of October.

But it did.

Coming off a dreadful loss at Tennessee — two weeks after an equally dreadful loss at Oakland — Mike Tomlin’s depleted crew lugged a 2-3 record into a Sunday night game at Cincinnati.

Among the missing were Troy Polamalu, Maurkice Pouncey, Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Marcus Gilbert and, sadly, Mike Wallace’s hands, which never got off the bus.

Two days before the game, Ben Roethlisberger had referred to Todd Haley’s offense as “dink and dunk,” a phrase that has since become a source of amusement but wasn’t so funny on the heels of a meager outing against Tennessee’s historically hideous defense.

It got less funny as the first quarter wore on. The Bengals on their first drive shoved the ball down the Steelers’ throats. Wallace dropped footballs like they were flying porcupines. Baron Batch somehow lost Antonio Brown’s gorgeous spiral in the lights.

Early in the second quarter, a second Roethlisberger turnover led to a quick Bengals touchdown, a 14-3 Cincinnati lead and mass panic in the Twitter-sphere.

Were the Steelers done?

Quite the opposite: They were just beginning.

What happened next was not just the story of a football game in the middle of October but the story of two franchises.

One, as usual, could not tolerate success.

The other, as usual, could not tolerate failure.

“We come together at those times,” said Doug Legursky, who started at center that night. “I haven’t been in other organizations, but talking to friends around the league, that’s what makes the Pittsburgh Steelers very special. We’re a family here. It’s a job to some point, but it’s something to us to fight for our brothers in the room.”

The Steelers chose a most unusual way to fight their way out of that 14-3 hole — on a drive that started at the 11 after a special teams penalty (imagine that).

Haley — perhaps sensing that none of his players could catch — unexpectedly turned to his 31st-ranked running game and third-string tailback Jonathan Dwyer.

To that point, the Steelers had attempted 16 passes against six runs (for 9 yards). Yet Haley’s play progression went like this:

Dwyer right.

Dwyer left.

Dwyer right.

Dwyer left.

Seems to me that’s the point where the Steelers forged an identity for 2012.

“I appreciated it,” Dwyer said. “And I tried to take advantage of the opportunity.”

Seven consecutive running plays put the ball on the Bengals’ 32. The drive netted only a field goal, but the Steelers had stabilized.

“We had our down moment,” Dwyer said. “We showed how tough we are by flipping it around.”

On Cincinnati’s next possession, something strange and wonderful happened. In football parlance, it’s called a turnover: t-u-r-n-o-v-e-r. The Steelers got a break when Andy Dalton’s flubbed pass attempt banged off a helmet and into the waiting arms of LaMarr Woodley.

A few plays later, Heath Miller made two beautiful catches — one for a touchdown, the other for a two-point conversion — and the Steelers somehow went to the half tied, 14-14.

Since then, they have outscored their opponents, 61-35, and have looked like an entirely different football team.

Wallace is catching passes again — and then running really fast. He looked like the anchor in a 4x100 Olympic relay on his touchdown Sunday, prompting analyst Phil Simms to say, “That might be as fast as I’ve ever seen anyone run on an NFL field.”

The defense, still without Polamalu, now stiffens late in games and sometimes tackles quarterbacks.

The running game, still without Mendenhall, looks more punishing than at any time since the Super Bowl run of 2005.

Give Haley credit for going to the ground in that dire situation in Cincinnati. Give him credit, too, for reducing his menu of running plays since then. He’s shown to be quite adaptable to his new environs. Willie Colon spoke to that when I asked if he’d seen Haley get in anyone’s face yet.

“No, I haven’t, and I’m kinda glad,” Colon said. “I don’t think there’s room for that here. I think there’s a lot of guys who take pride in their work and understand that if you’re not doing a good job, the guy behind you is more than qualified. So I think the competitiveness motivates guys.”

Something does — and the Steelers look plenty motivated with half a season left.

Plenty dangerous, too.

http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz2BhKn9bCC