Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #31
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559
Default Re: No chance vs Chiefs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
"Trap" games may mean something to a team that is either still finding itself or is suffering from serious injury issues and has no real depth.

We may have been that team at some point but we've demonstrated that we're not that team anymore. We have plenty of depth and our injuries are not so devastating as to make us particularly vulnerable.

At this point - and especially after the Giant game - we have returned to the level of "Serious Contender" and as such should be licking our chops over games against teams like KC and we should not be thinking about being ambushed.
Put another way, do you really think that teams like the Pats or Green Bay or even Atlanta worry about "Traps"? I don't think so and neither should we. That doesn't mean that KC shouldn't be taken seriously, but rather that they should simply be regarded as "work to be done" and little more.

If we see teams such as KC as potential speed bumps or as some other threat to our success, then we are clearly not ready to be a "Serious Contender" at all.

I believe that we ARE a contender and that KC is not a threat.

KC is toast -- PERIOD!
The Steelers should have the mentality of wanting to annihilate inferior teams like the Chiefs... Not just show up and get a W. The Pats over the years have rarely blown games like these because they come into them wanting to humiliate the other team. No margin of victory is ever good enough. Teams like the Steelers should want to dominate as much as possible. Their goal should be 35+ pts of offense and less than 10 pts on defense.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjpro11 For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #32
SquirrelHillSteelNut
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 24311
My Mood: Buzzed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
Who ever scheduled all these night games, I would love to punch em right in the face.

you and me both. grrrrrr!!!
SquirrelHillSteelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #33
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVABE View Post
Who ever scheduled all these night games, I would love to punch em right in the face.

hey, i'm not complaining. The one GREAT thing about that is that they are all televised (which is great for us out-of-towners).
Hate it on Sundays when the Steelers games are unavailable.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #34
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,565 Times in 5,974 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Haley "won't be afraid to run up the score" on the Kansas City Chiefs in Week 10

By Neal Coolong on Nov 7

ESPN's Adam Schefter mentioned at least a trace of animosity from current Steelers offensive coordinator and former Chiefs head coach as he prepares to face his old team in Week 10.

ESPN's Adam Schefter said on Sportscenter Wednesday Steelers offensive coordinator "won't be afraid to run up the score" on the Kansas City Chiefs - his former employer - when the teams face each other on Monday Night Football in Week 10.

It's hard to blame him. Unceremoniously dumped in the middle of the season, Haley was forced to take the brunt of the criticism regarding the Chiefs' bi-polar 2011 season, landing him in Pittsburgh.

Since then, the Steelers are enjoying an offense that's improving steadily each week, and is among the team's best rushing teams over the course of their three-game winning streak.

The Chiefs have gone in the opposite direction, coming into the game at 1-7, and having yet to hold a lead for a measurable amount of time. Their lone win came off a game-winning field goal over New Orleans in Week 3.

Haley's offense has yet to score more than 31 points, a tally that came in a 34-31 loss at Oakland in Week 3. Their new life on the ground seems to indicate a bit fewer points, but more time of possession in the grand scheme of things. Blowout or otherwise, Haley must also remember he was in charge of the team in 2009 and 2010, when the Chiefs upset the Steelers and came within one drive of defeating them at Heinz Field.

Showing up his former boss has to serve as quality motivation, but it's not likely Haley will break out the team's first vertical passing assault of the season. He'd also have to worry about what his new boss, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, would feel about that.

Perhaps, though, he just won't have Ben Roethlisberger take a knee if the Steelers are closing the game out inside the Chiefs' territory.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...cs-scott-pioli

Last edited by Hawaii 5-0; 11-07-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #35
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nice display of the media putting words in peoples mouths right there.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #36
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Hearing from the Chiefs: Crennel & Cassel

Head Coach Romeo Crennel

Re: Relationship with Todd Haley:
Our relationship goes way back to when I was with the New York Jets. That was the first time I met him and got to know him a little bit. I watched him work and then I followed his career throughout. We’ve had a good relationship the whole time.

Re: Haley’s offense being diverse:
That is something that he has always been able to do. He has a good offensive mind. When he was with the Arizona Cardinals they were able to get to the Super Bowl when he was their offensive coordinator. That’s just who he is, as far as the offense goes and what he tries to get done.

Re: The mood of the team:
We don’t like where we are but we are the ones who put ourselves in this position. What we are going to have to do is work our way out of it. That’s what I’ve been telling the team and what we’ve been trying to focus on. We’re trying to eliminate mistakes and trying to play better.

What has been missing from your defense and what do you see from the Steelers’ offense?
We have been giving up too many easy touchdowns on defense. If you look at our defense, particularly early in the year, we weren’t able to stop guys the way we needed to stop them. We are doing a little bit better at that as the season has gone on. The Steelers’ offense is a very good one. They are solid. They pulled out a big win on Sunday. That was huge for them. I think they will try to use that as a springboard for the second half of the season.

Re: Steelers’ defense:
They look pretty good to me. I’ve seen the Steelers’ defense for several years now. Dick LeBeau does a great job. He always gets his guys to play hard and he puts them in the right positions. You are going to have to play really good to beat them.

Re: QB situation:
We are going to have two of them out there. I am not ready to say right now who they are going to be. I am about to go talk to our local media here, and I will tell them first what I am going to do. Then you will be able to catch up on it after that.

Re: Switching from coordinator to head coach and back to coordinator:
It’s not really hard to do, because if you know football, you know football. Sometime the perception of your team is important. I think our situation and where we are, we have a young team. We have a lot of young players on both sides of the ball. I needed to work on that perception and get them to feel like I am coaching the whole team and not just the defense. That’s why I removed myself from the defensive coordinator role so I could concentrate on the whole team more.

Re: Similar situation you faced in Cleveland as Haley did in Kansas City last season compared to the Steelers and the way they handle their coaches:
Pittsburgh has been the poster for continuity. They’ve done a tremendous job from top to bottom. That’s why they are able to get good coaches that fit into their system and who can last to keep that continuity going. You know in the NFL and in today’s society, it’s an “I want it done yesterday” league. It’s gotten to that point, and if you can’t get it done right away, people look for changes and for something different. That is part of the beast that we have to deal with.

Re: Jonathan Baldwin’s career:
He got hurt and was injured his first year. Then he started off good this year and then once Dwayne Bowe got back into the fold, he took balls away from Baldwin, and rightfully so. Bowe is a very good football player. Baldwin is still working to improve and refine his game. He can be a big part of this team, and he will be going down the road.

Re: Haley’s reputation before coming to Pittsburgh:
Everybody has a different personality. I’ve known him for a long time, and I get along very well with him. I don’t know exactly what other people were saying or why they were saying what they were saying. Some people don’t like my personality. I can’t talk about anybody else’s.

Quarterback Matt Cassel

What do you see in the matchup with the Steelers this week that you may or may not have seen with them previously?
They have the same mentality. They’re a big, physical group. They’re the number one defense in all of football right now. When you play the Steelers, you’ve got to be ready for a really tough, physical football game. They’ve got a veteran group. All of these guys have played together for a long time with [Casey] Hampton, [Brett] Keisel, [LaMarr] Woodley, [Larry] Foote, [James] Harrison, [Ryan] Clark, and we’ll see if [Troy] Polamalu plays or not. I don’t know whether or not he’s going to play. Obviously, it’s a veteran group, they’re experienced, and they play well together.

How is WR Jon Baldwin developing?
I think he’s developing each and every week. I think that last year, for a lot of rookies, it was a tough year because they didn’t have an offseason coming in with OTAs or anything like that. He had the unfortunate accident in training camp where he broke his hand and was out for the first six weeks of the season. I think it was a tough year on him last year but to have the OTAs and the mini-camps and all that stuff this year, I think it really helped him in terms of technique and in developing both mentally and physically. Throughout the year I think he’s continued to work hard and continued to grow into that X position.

Re: The Chiefs season so far:
It has been a rollercoaster season. I don’t think any of those guys anticipated coming in and being where we’re at at the midway point of the season. We’ve done a lot of good but at the same time, in this game in the NFL, it comes down simply to turnovers, penalties and big plays. Anytime you have a lot of turnovers, you have a lot of penalties and you give up the big plays, it’s hard to win in this league and I think we’ve done a lot of that on both sides of the ball. We have to do a better job of protecting the football and that will help us immediately. [You have to] eliminate penalties because in this league if you get into third-and-long situations and guys know that you have to throw the ball it becomes a lot more difficult to pick-up that first down. And on the defensive side of the ball, we’ve got to eliminate the big plays in the pass game and also the run game and that will allow us to make teams drive the field a little bit more and give us a better chance to win.

How much input did Todd Haley have in the offense last year?
I think he had a lot of input. I know that he took a hands-on approach. He wasn’t in our meetings or anything like that but I know between him, Bill Muir, and also Jim Zorn, there was a lot of collaboration that took place between the three of those guys in terms of how the offense went last year for us.

Have you kept an eye on what Haley has done in Pittsburgh so far with the Steelers offense?
I haven’t because we’ve obviously got a lot going on over here that we’ve got to get fixed and figure out ourselves. I have been able to a see a few of their games here and there and obviously he’s done a great job with the offense and the offense is playing really well.

What kind of coach is Haley to play for?
I think Coach Haley is a demanding coach. He expects a lot out of his players and he’ll challenge you. He’s not afraid to get in your face and let you know and hold you accountable, I guess is the best way to put it.

Did you have a problem with Haley’s coaching style if he did get in your face?
There were probably times that I did but at the same time you also respect the process and respect the coaching that’s taking place. As a player, it’s your job to fix whatever the coach is saying and what he wants you to get accomplished and move forward.

What signs have you seen that the season could turn around for you guys?
We’re hoping every single week that we’re able to go in there and turn it around. With this group, I think that we’ve got a group that works hard and is determined to get this thing turned around. We’ve got talent on our football team, now it’s just bringing it together and playing a complete football game. I think that we really haven’t done that yet this year and it starts with just getting one win. If we can get that one win, it builds confidence and a confident man is a strong man. Then we can move forward from there.

How good is WR Dexter McCluster in the slot?
I think Dexter’s done a good job of developing in the slot. He worked hard this offseason learning the ins and outs of the position and reading the different coverages. I think that Dexter has tremendous ability with his quickness and his ability to uncover. There’s also a second side of that where he’s a little bit smaller so sometimes it’s challenging from a physical standpoint for him. At the same time, I think he’s developed and become a pretty dependable slot receiver for us.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-2ac9cfa18c97
Old 11-08-2012, 12:10 AM   #37
ChristianKustomz
Starter

Member Number: 24383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Nice display of the media putting words in peoples mouths right there.
Agreed. The are always doing that. Kind of like that BS with Terry Bradshaw. He's not racist and it wasn't a racist comment but they forced him to appologize anyway.

Funny how the media will be so liberal and manipulate people into believing whatever they want to.
ChristianKustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #38
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

I really couldn't care less if it's pretty or not...

Steelers Should Beat Chiefs But Will It Be Pretty?

Nov 7th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

The Steelers are beginning to stack some wins and are poised to push the pedal a bit more to the floor after beating the Giants and hitting the halfway point of the season in second place in the AFC North. The team faces off against the woeful Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night at Heinz Field. The Chiefs have struggled all season long and have yet to lead at any point in regulation this season. This bodes well for the men in Black & Gold, but don’t expect a win to be pretty, even if they do come ready to play.

The injury list is still littered, and as of Wednesday, the Steelers have already commented that Antonio Brown and Chris Rainey are shelved. Those potentially coming back (Marcus Gilbert and Jonathan Dwyer) might not be that effective. And of course, Troy Polamalu is still out (though good news with his is that he will be ready for the Ravens). The Steelers have started to find themselves a bit in a Polamalu’less world – perhaps a glance of the Steelers come 2015? The secondary has stepped up beautifully during Troy’s absence, and Dick Le’Beau seems to have found his defensive swag…. for now.

Even if Brown, Dwyer and Polamalu were cleared to play, I would hope that the coaching staff would keep them benched anyways. I don’t mean to disrespect the Chiefs, but with the way they are playing right now, this is a game that feels like a pre-playoff game where a team looks to rest players. With the Steelers getting ready to face the Ravens after the Chiefs, it seems that the Steelers should try and be as healthy as possible. The conundrum? The Steelers don’t want to lose momentum going into the Ravens game, and they certainly don’t want fall behind anymore in the standings in the AFC North.

Even with a slightly depleted squad who will look to rest players that might be in the ‘Questionable’ column, the Steelers have good odds at taking down the Chiefs. Home field advantage and an opposing team that ranks over 20th in rushing yards (22nd) and points (30th) give the Steelers a chance to have a strong run game and really control the clock. Redman will be back for his second start in a row, and should have an easy time averaging over 4 yards per carry. A Steeler who has yet to be mentioned for its offensive success is Ramon Foster. Foster is sitting strong at right guard as Marcus Gilbert and David DeCastro continue to heal on that right side. Colon has been downright impressive and Foster has been a great compliment on that interior.

He’s been able to create holes for the run game and help out rookie Mike Adams whenever he appears to be struggling on that edge.

I don’t know if the Steelers will rack up the 30 points that the Chiefs on average give up per game. Without Brown in the lineup, Cotchery will certainly need to step up as much as he did against the Giants last week. Even with a bit of deficiency in the offense, the Steelers should be able rack up a decent amount of points to get the win. The defense just needs to hold the anemic Chief offense and keep Cassel or Quinn on their back more than in the pocket.

I don’t know if the win will be a pretty one, but it’s not like it needs to be. The litmus for the character and talent of this team occurred last week against the Giants. The Steelers just need to get the win here against the Chiefs, come out with the least amount of bruises possible, and get ready for the huge rival game against the Ravens.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/07...-it-be-pretty/
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #39
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

although we should beat them handily, crush them even - it wouldn't surprise me to see us beat them by 1 point.
Its what this team has done for the last 3 years. Either beat the worst of the worst JUST barely - or even lose.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #40
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,259 Times in 2,967 Posts
My Mood: Sick

31-10 Book it

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote