Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
dreegking
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18661
Default Re: Dwyer or Redman

I'll go with Mendy. Otherwise Redmen against 4 -3 defenses. Dwyer against 3 - 4 fronts.
dreegking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,034 Times in 7,614 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Here is what I know:

1. The O-line prefers to block for one type of RB. They get used to a style and/or the timing of a RB. Tomlin has stated this as being the case.

2. Redman looked like he wanted it... he was not going to be stopped.

2-a. Too much spinning.

3. Dwyer looks like he has that burst, but can also knock someone over.

3-a. He gets winded too easily.

SUMMATION:
I see this as a "AB verus Sanders as rookies" type of situation: the player who practices better, gets the start.

SUMMATION 2:
What a nice problem to have.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,522 Times in 4,053 Posts
My Mood: Cool

by Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers running game continues to get healthy, getting Isaac Redmanback last week and Rashard Mendenhall continuing to work his way back onto the field.

Once there is a full complement of backs available, which also includes Jonathan Dwyer, Chris Rainey and Baron Batch, Tomlin said the plan is to go with the hot hand.

“Whoever’s being productive when healthy is going to get the totes,” said Tomlin. “I really think it’s that simple. I’m not going to make it any more complex than it has to be.

“At times this season we’ve had a running back by committee approach because none of them had been overly effective at that time. When someone’s effective, they’ll get the ball.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...f-905867c60117
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Its pretty simple for me, the healthiest player starts and I'm not talking about Batch.
WVABE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Here is what I know:

1. The O-line prefers to block for one type of RB. They get used to a style and/or the timing of a RB. Tomlin has stated this as being the case.

:
Do you have a link to this?? O linemen generally like to block for a RB that will run behind the seams that they open up...that being said, if you have a guy with some speed that can break a big one, the defenders have to honor that and it makes an O lineman's job a bit easier.

To me, it never mattered if it was a speed guy like Parker or a power guy like Bettis...just block the guy across from you and let that RB hit the hole.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 18,034 Times in 7,614 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Do you have a link to this?? O linemen generally like to block for a RB that will run behind the seams that they open up...that being said, if you have a guy with some speed that can break a big one, the defenders have to honor that and it makes an O lineman's job a bit easier.

To me, it never mattered if it was a speed guy like Parker or a power guy like Bettis...just block the guy across from you and let that RB hit the hole.
Oh man... I read it this morning, while sitting up with the baby... I don't really remember the source (I was Googling at 4:00am).

Essentially, Tomlin commented about wanting to choose one RB to get most of the snaps, because it would help the O-line.

Similarly, over the years, I've heard other O-linemen (on ESPN, on the radio, at the gym)) talk about liking "one" RB better than a "committee"... because then then know how long to hold a block & such... and that they get timing with that "one" RB.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #17
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Great topic at hand here. Also, great "problem" for Pittsburgh

I'd probably take Redman at this point cause he has bit more experience, and always seems like he he plays with 100% of his effort. (Not that Dwyer doesn't) He also, (i.m.o) already earned the starting spot as long as Mendy is out.

I'm guessing that Redman may also have the better pair of hands. I believe I've seen Dwyer drop a few balls during his two starts. And one was a guaranteed TD pass.

It's unfortunate that none of these young men will be a true starter because they will be riding second to Rashard, or splitting touches with each other.

IMO, They both will be very productive backs, the type of backs that rarely lose yards or break even, but almost guarantee you the 3.5 yards per touch, with a few twenty five plus yard carries sprinkled in here and there. Both backs have the potential to be ending seasons with 4-500+ yards each, if they keep battling for touches, and with Rashard being the starter.

With this new found, hard nosed running game, and O-line we have, I'm really bumming that Rashard ain't getting the opportunity to show his moves and potential because he's sidelined with injuries. I know that Rashard will blow up under Harleys system, and I think he would make our running game even more threatening with the threat of the big play 60+ yard TD runs, and our short passing game, RB screens a nightmare for defenses to cover. I think with more speed and elusiveness coming out of the backfield from Rashard, it'll truly maximize Wallaces deep threat potential. I don't think that defenses are worried about our current backs breaking off a 70+ yard TD rush.
I know there aren't too many Rashard fans on this board, but I think a full season under Haleys offense will show you more of his potential and earn the respect of some of his dissenters.

Does anyone have Radhards contract info available? When is his contract year? Is it this season?

Last edited by Millers the sh!t; 11-07-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Millers the sh!t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,522 Times in 4,053 Posts
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
Does anyone have Radhards contract info available? When is his contract year? Is it this season?
Mendy will be an UFA at the end of this season.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mendy will be an UFA at the end of this season.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooo oo!!

Thank you Hawaii Five......
Old 11-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #20
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Redman has proven himself for longer, though Dwyer's back-to-back 100 yard games were very impressive. I love Redman's refusal to go down, though. He always seems to pick up a couple of extra yards, or break out of a tackle and go for more than just a couple. Let's not forget Mendy, either - I have never been a huge fan of his, but with the other two guys being mainly bruisers, he will make for a good change of pace when we want to put a combination of size and immense speed in there.

This is a good problem to have, folks. All three backs will get carries, depending on who has the hot hand on a given day. And, we can afford an injury at the position because we now have outstanding depth at the position. Rainey should get a look here and there also, certainly over Batch who seems to have mastered the art of running 3 yards into a pile and going down.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote