Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023
Default Re: Who has the feeling that we are going to start a special run?

I was just thinking this today - this team has a legitimate chance to go all the way. In past years we've always had a dominant defense with an offense that was often inconsistent. Now, I think we have a chance to be excellent on both sides of the ball if we stay healthy. Ben is playing at the highest level he has during his career, as is Heath Miller. We have a deep stable of backs, dynamic return men, a rapidly improving offensive line, and a defense that - if it stays healthy - will likely hold it's current number 1 ranking for the remainder of the year. The AFC is up for grabs, and if we can get through to the Super Bowl there is no one in the NFC we couldn't beat there.

On a related note, all "fans" who declared that: A) Dick Lebeau's defense sucks and B) the season was over at 2-3, you all should not have the right to say anything positive about this team for the remainder of the season after all of the negativity you spewed on this board about the team you supposedly root for.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #12
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,786 Times in 8,647 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Here it is in simplest form (Bayz alluded to it):
This offense isn't even great yet... let alone elite... or even where it will be by the end of the season: dynamic.

Right now, this offense is good. By the end of November, it might be great. By the end of December, it will be elite. And, by the SuperBowl, it will be truly dynamic.

Why do I say this? Because, it gets better each & every week.

They have three legitimate #1 WRs: Wallace, Brown, & Sanders. They have a #2 WR at #4: Cothcery. Their TE is not only blocking the snot out of people, but he is catching TDs. No team has CBs this deep.

Similarly, the RBs are even deeper than the WRs (although, not quite as talented as Wallace et al). Droppy Mendenspin has shown that he can be awesome in this offense (when healhty); Redman has shown the determination to get those extra yards; and Dwyer seems like a problem for defenses, because he has the option to run around a DE and plow over a DB. And, there is Rainey, who is a 50+ yard TD waiting to happen.

Furthermore, the O-line is starting to come together. Arians' bashing of Pouncey lit a fire under the center... who was already elite. The Colon has eliminated his penalties, while continuing to POUND people into submission. Adams has looked better. And, they have DD in waiting (for a late-season and play-off run).

Lastly, the special teams (like the O-line) is no longer shooting themselves in the foot with penalties... and they routinely return it big (which is huge for field position, which sets up easier scores).

Oh... and the defense is still pretty darn good.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,267 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers33 View Post
I do. We dismantled the Giants (spotted 14 by the refs), who dismantled the 49ers (considered one of the best teams in the NFL). Idk the way we've been able to run the ball lately, protect Ben, our plethora of Wide Receiver talent, our o-line playing well, and actually having a competent OC has really started to make me think that something special may be upon us. Defensively, our secondary is light years better than it has been in years past, yet the key question is the front-seven. If our front seven can hold up (once dominate 3-4 years ago) than honestly I think this team is scary. Its going to come down to how Harrison and Woodley return to health, and the defensive line (big question marks). What do you guys think.

I think so too.

I think the corner has been turned and the formula is very close to being perfected.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Re
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
The offense hasn't reached it's peak yet. The defense is warming up, and the special teams has limited their mistakes in recent games. I think we're setting this team up for a December hot-streak and deep run.
Couldn't agree more.... I don't think anything has peaked yet. I think things are just simply starting to come together. When things do peak, well will be nasty.....

Special teams, I'm really happy with out kickoff and punt return yards and the opportunities they leave our offense set up with. Only dark spot is the penalties. Once the penalties are non existent, I will be very pleased.

Defense, very rare splash plays again this season. Turnovers, sacks, etc. Are an endangered species for this defense. But, We are keeping points off the board, and keeping the opponents yards production low as well. I feel kind of selfish to ask but id like to see a turnover every game, or at least grab an extra sack or two. Five years ago I would expect a few turnovers or lose balls every game, over the past few seasons I don't expect to see any, and almost forgot what they look like. One thing I can't complain about is physicality. We have been banging teams around this season and I feel that we have won 2 games with bigs hits alone being the game changing factor. Those games were the Jets and Giants. Tackling and the run defense seemed to have tightened up dramatically over the last few weeks as well. Also impressed with the way our young secondary Is stepping up and making some plays. Very exciting to see these kids breaking up passes playing some decent man coverage. I hope the progress keeps growing and showing every week. These kids are making it easy for me to not miss Troy on the field. The act is getting stale for me and I'm at the point where I don't care or know if Troy is a Steeler anymore. I'm dubious of his injuries and doubt they take ten weeks to heal.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886

If we smack around these next two teams then I'll really be believing

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

We will see after the Chiefs game! We need to destroy them, BUT if history repeats itself, we will squeek away with a 3-7 point win! (playing down) ...Bring on the rats!!!
Old 11-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 20,786 Times in 8,647 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
We will see after the Chiefs game! We need to destroy them, BUT if history repeats itself, we will squeek away with a 3-7 point win! (playing down) ...Bring on the rats!!!
Normally, I would agree with you. PITT generally plays down, and good teams play up. BUT... I think Haley wants to rub it in KC's face. I could see a score around... this:
KC 9
PITT 38
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #18
SoCalFan
Head Coach

Member Number: 14860

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
Normally, I would agree with you. PITT generally plays down, and good teams play up. BUT... I think Haley wants to rub it in KC's face. I could see a score around... this:
KC 9
PITT 38
True, hope you are correct! I would love a a blowout win!
Old 11-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
True, hope you are correct! I would love a a blowout win!

This has TRAP GAME written all over it. Every time we get this confident we choke and gag... and occasionally lose to a team that has no business beating us.

That team that wins the SB is the team that gets hot late. We don't want to be peaking the next few weeks...but at the same time we need to win the games we should win.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #20
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtowndrunkard View Post
This has TRAP GAME written all over it. Every time we get this confident we choke and gag... and occasionally lose to a team that has no business beating us.

That team that wins the SB is the team that gets hot late. We don't want to be peaking the next few weeks...but at the same time we need to win the games we should win.
Exactly, don't get caught up in the moment. Everything will be different for better or worse a few weeks down the line.