Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 7,098 Times in 3,065 Posts
Default Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

I was looking around bleacher report and stumbled across this article describing 'stars' that are going to receive huge pay days next year ...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-paid-in-2013

... and I knew what I was going to find for the most part. Mike Wallace also makes an appearance, which should come a surprise to no one. But, what I found more interesting was the fact that he mentions Keenan. More importantly, he says, "... But Lewis will command at least $8 million a year and could get more." and it was kind of eye opening. The comparison of numbers puts this a little more in perspective for you guys.

The CBs that are making around 8 million dollars this year are ...

Charles Tillman - $7 966 667
Brandon Flowers - $8 000 000
Antonio Cromartie - $8 250 000
Leon Hall - $8 500 000

Now, don't get me wrong. Keenan has been playing tremendously this year and has taken huge strides in improving his game. However, that being said, he's not in the same league as these guys yet - and it's really not even close. These guys have been doing it consistently, year in and year out, for a long time. Say what you want about Cromartie, but he completely shut down Andre Johnson vs. the Texans and the Jets left him on an island.

Breaking down the stats, Tillman (2), Flowers (2) and Cromartie (3) are leading Lewis in interceptions. Keenan currently has 0. I know that takeaways aren't necessarily the most important stat, but it goes to show that these guys can not only blanket receivers and tip passes but also take it away and give it back to their respective offenses.

I think Keenan still has a long way to go and a lot to prove to the Steelers before he's worth this kind of money, but that's just my opinion. What do you guys think?

Last edited by SteelersCanada; 11-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
SteelersCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #2
steelfury02
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 2,832 Times in 1,364 Posts
Default Re: Keenan Lewis Worth 8 Million a Year?

This season: Lewis > Asomugha

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

He's having an excellent year, and I do believe he's the future of our defensive backfield. That being said, I have NO idea what to pay him.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
Stu Pidasso
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Unless he comes up with 7 INT's, or starts being called "Lewis Island", I don't see him getting more than 4 mil.
Stu Pidasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

That seems pretty crazy. I mean, within the past decade we've also seen Bryant McFadden look like the next shutdown corner, only to have his play fall off a cliff after a couple years. Same with William Gay. Although it wasn't until Gay became a full-time starter after McFadden left, when everyone realized he wasn't cut out for that role. To an even further extent, most people thought Anthony Smith was going to unseat Ryan Clark as a starter. Boy were we all wrong.

It's basically risk vs reward. Sign a guy to a multi-year early, when he has shown promise, but not consistency.. Or wait for the player to become a Pro Bowl caliber player and then be forced to break the bank. We kind of did this with Antonio Brown last off-season, although he was a much safer risk than most.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,825 Times in 2,091 Posts

signing FA's is a gamble. sometimes you lose big (asomugha, mario williams) and sometimes you strike gold like we did with james farrior.

alot of smart teams want to catch a guy right before he hits his upswing and prime of their careers. other teams take the same risky gamble of trying to catch falling stars.

so while we dont know what lies ahead for lewis, a team may certainly believe he is worth the gamble. i doubt any of us has studied the coaches film and graded every single play he has played in during his career but the scouts shopping for a CB will. on tv theres plenty of plays where he (or any cb's arent even on the screen, so it is hard to guage howw good they really are in coverage unless the ball goes there way. how many times does there coverage completely prevent a qb from even looking their way?

average cb's are making $6mil/year. the cream of the crop are making about $12mil.

in his first year starting, lewis is looking like a #1 CB on the leagues #1 pass defensive unit. he has also learned dick lebeaus system which is the most complex in the league.

8 mill may not be that far off the mark. people thought we overpaid ike on his first contract extension, and he turned out to be worth it. i think the steelers do the same and make him a higher priority than mike wallace (unfortunate but nature of the biz).

i think the steelers would be tickled pink to lock him up for 5 years/$32.5mil with 15-16 guaranteed. i think he might be happy with that hometown discount. im sure the agent will not be citing the older players with less upside listed above.

note: peanut tillman has been playing phenominal this year and being talked about as the defensive mvp along with jj watt (clearly outplaying his contract). sporscenter had a feature on tillman and how he forced the four fumbles in sundays game vs the titans. if you havent seen it, it is freaking amazing. i have never seen it perfected like an artform.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
pittpete
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5301

Quote:
i think the steelers would be tickled pink to lock him up for 5 years/$32.5mil with 15-16 guaranteed
That sounds about right
Old 11-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Keenan Lewis is playing respectably at his position, and doing all of whats expected of him as a CB. With that being said, lets not forget the most important thing of all: Turnovers. Playmakers get the cash. I expect Lewis to have an interception or two before playoff time.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 14,006 Times in 5,899 Posts

To answer the title of this thread: YES.

He is young, and just getting started. He has always had the right physical tools, but lacked the mental "fortitude" (for lack of a better word). Now, he seems to be rock-solid mentally... and he will only get better. I could realistically see a five year $40 million dollar deal being given to him.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

5 years, 30 million with 10-12 million dollars guaranteed. I'd hand that to him based on what he's done so far, and his potential.