Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,488 Posts
Default Does the GOP have to change?

If so, how?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,099 Posts
Default Re: Does the GOP have to change?

they should allow rush limbaugh be their most popular national spokesman and champion of their platform and beliefs.

oh, thats already the case?

in that case maybe they can figure out more forcible measures to take preventing single women, young people, latinos, and gays from voting.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,972 Posts

fox news either needs to be taken off air, or all the chicken little anchors need to be replaced. no the sky wasn't falling 12 years ago, and it isn't now. they are constantly trying to scare the american public with bullshit, when will it end?

i personally can't watch more than 5 minutes of it, I don't know how anyone else can either.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,118 Times in 2,393 Posts

The base will not change - how to go forward without the base will be tricky

I was driving back to the office around noon and was listening to right wing talk radio in Atlanta for schadenfreude - let's just say there is not a lot of soul searching going on

Neal Boortz ended his show today by not just articulating the usual talking points about cut spending/lower taxes but kept referring to Obama as "Dear Leader" - for those keeping score at home that is the term by which the head of North Korea is described

After 12 noon El Rushbo appeared - after opening his show by mocking Boehner's comment yesterday that the GOP needs to reach out to all Americans and that the GOP position on immigration needs to evolve (which I heard as a shot by Rush at dangerous leftist Sean Hannity), Rush said he had an idea how to do outreach to Latinos and then cued up Jose Feliciano singing Feliz Navidad.

Since 1968 the GOP electoral stategy was based upon outreach to white men - the numbers for that strategy are not going to work anymore, especially when you kiss off New York and California every election cycle.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
fox news either needs to be taken off air, or all the chicken little anchors need to be replaced. no the sky wasn't falling 12 years ago, and it isn't now. they are constantly trying to scare the american public with bullshit, when will it end?

i personally can't watch more than 5 minutes of it, I don't know how anyone else can either.
There still are some smart folks over there - Shep Smith is sane and Megyn Kelly was fairly disdainful of Karl Rove's contentions Tuesday night that Ohio was too close to call as well his follow-up that Obama had engaged in "voter suppression" by running a negative campaign against Romney.

[youtube]SsqYFNsP2U8&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

OTOH Sean Hannity needs to go.

From a $$$ standpoint the question is whether Fox's ratings will tank if it becomes more based in reality
Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

MSNBC is no better than Fox.... just the other side of the coin.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
MSNBC is no better than Fox.... just the other side of the coin.
True that but Fox has a lot more control over driving the GOP agenda than MSNBC does over the Dems

Nobody on the MSNBC desk was on the phone with Obama HQ Tuesday night and being asked to hold off calling states like the situation where the Romney camapign and Rove agreed Rove would go on camera and say it was too early to call Ohio
Old 11-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
There still are some smart folks over there - Shep Smith is sane and Megyn Kelly was fairly disdainful of Karl Rove's contentions Tuesday night that Ohio was too close to call as well his follow-up that Obama had engaged in "voter suppression" by running a negative campaign against Romney.

[youtube]SsqYFNsP2U8&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

OTOH Sean Hannity needs to go.

From a $$$ standpoint the question is whether Fox's ratings will tank if it becomes more based in reality
I agree, not all of them are bad, but they need to get rid of those guys like o'reily, i honestly think he's only there for the 'wtf?' factor
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,488 Posts

I'm watching the finder pointing and second guessing. The social conservatives are claining they would have won if Romney would have concentrated on anti-abortion and anti gay marriage messages. the fiscal conservative and libertarian side is saying they would have won if Romney would have moderated his social message on marriage said governent shouldn't care.

Will the GOP split along those lines or will they try to keep those different bases together again in 2016?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
I'm watching the finder pointing and second guessing. The social conservatives are claining they would have won if Romney would have concentrated on anti-abortion and anti gay marriage messages. the fiscal conservative and libertarian side is saying they would have won if Romney would have moderated his social message on marriage said governent shouldn't care.

Will the GOP split along those lines or will they try to keep those different bases together again in 2016?
The current taking point is the "deep bench" of young non-Anglo GOP talent such as Marco Rubio will cure any problems with the Latino vote - I guess the theory is that old white voters who will not be pleased with a GOP shift on immigration are not going to vote for Hillary in 2016 under any circumstances

I am for anything that avoids the rest of us being dependent on Florida needing to run a competent statewide election