Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,822 Times in 7,531 Posts
My Mood: Dead
Default Editorial: Even Vince McMahon Turned His Head in Shame

NOTICE: This editorial was sent in for publishing earlier this week. However, due to server issues, publishing was delayed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even Vince McMahon Turned His Head in Shame
by Tiger Rowan

Right around half-time of the Steelers-Giants game, my brother walked out of the room… and did not return. My eighteen-month old daughter sought out her uncle, calling down the hallway, "Uncle… where are you?" When she found him, her cheers of "Touchdown!!!" brought a momentary smile to his face. I followed suit, by asking him if he was going to return to watch the game. After a considerable amount of time, he replied, "I just do not know."

Mr. Goodell, you may not know my brother, but he is the most patient, calm, and soft-spoken person in the world. I takes a lot, and I mean a LOT, to get his feathers ruffled; Gandhi is more of a hot head than he is. But, to put it simply, the abomination that he witnessed during the Steelers-Giants game was enough to evoke a reaction from him (albeit, a calm & passive one).

For those of you who missed it, it appeared to many (not just Steelers fans) that the referees were overtly trying to give some sort of advantage to the Giants. Sure, we all feel sorry for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Absolutely, a small part of all of us (even Steelers fans) would have liked to have seen the New York fans have a three-hour break from their misery. And, positively, a win would have been a story-book ending to their week. But, not at the expense of the integrity of the game.

Any fan hates for their team to lose, but losses happen. Sometimes, an opponent simply outplays your team, and we can all accept those types of losses. But, when the referees are making calls that are blatantly one-sided, it calls into question whether any of what we are seeing is truly "real"… or if it is all merely scripted. And, once those types of "questions of doubt" creep into a fan-base's heads, it is very difficult to get those thoughts back out. Just ask David Stern.

Before anyone starts to tell me to stop whining and/or that "every team gets bad calls", I will readily agree: usually the bad calls even out. But, in this game, this was not the case in the least; the calls were obviously being called in New York's favor. Allow me to describe the most glaring of them.

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1021.html
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to teegre For This Useful Post:
austinfrench76 (11-09-2012), Boomer (11-11-2012), STEELERNATION657 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Editorial: Even Vince McMahon Turned His Head in Shame

What is weird is that the Giants are good enough to beat the Steelers fairly. I was texting my buddy back and forth, he's a Giants fan, that they didn't need to do that. That the Giants have a good team and I don't think anyone wants to win that way anyways. It tarnishes teh win and the team. Just call it straight up and stop fining the Steelers. That's just my little side note. Thanks for the post!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Count me among those who thought the same thing; that the refs were indeed trying to provide a "feel-good" win for the Giants and the people of New Jersey.

But I also noticed that after halftime, those flagrantly ridiculous calls disappeared and in fact many calls began going against the Giants including a rather innocuous offsides penalty on a 3rd and four late in the game which had Redman being tackled short of the line of gain. This penalty resulted in a first-and-goal and allowed us to score the winning TD shortly afterward.

Whether Goodell said something to the refs at halftime or whether they all had a crisis of conscience I can't say.
But I CAN say that those mysterious calls all but disappeared after halftime and the game was officiated very fairly from that point on.

If any of the the suspicions about letting the Giants win are true to any extent, I can only say "Thank You" to whomever it was who decided that integrity was more important than storybook endings and put a stop to it.
fer522 (11-10-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
What is weird is that the Giants are good enough to beat the Steelers fairly. I was texting my buddy back and forth, he's a Giants fan, that they didn't need to do that. That the Giants have a good team and I don't think anyone wants to win that way anyways. It tarnishes teh win and the team. Just call it straight up and stop fining the Steelers. That's just my little side note. Thanks for the post!
Likewise, one of the dudes I know is a huge NYGiants fan (good dude, as most NYGiants fans are). Anyway, he was saying that he would have been annoyed to have been "given" the game. "A dirty feeling" were his words.

And, I agree.

Being given a game makes it feel like it wasn't even a win at all... especially, because everyone looks at you and thinks, "They actually lost." Sure, in the record books, the NYGiants would have gotten the win, but it would have felt like a loss.

Furthermore, since it was so one-sided in PITT's favor (3 yards per NYG offensive play), it would have been even more obvious... and in turn, made them all feel even "dirtier."
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Count me among those who thought the same thing; that the refs were indeed trying to provide a "feel-good" win for the Giants and the people of New Jersey.

But I also noticed that after halftime, those flagrantly ridiculous calls disappeared and in fact many calls began going against the Giants including a rather innocuous offsides penalty on a 3rd and four late in the game which had Redman being tackled short of the line of gain. This penalty resulted in a first-and-goal and allowed us to score the winning TD shortly afterward.

Whether Goodell said something to the refs at halftime or whether they all had a crisis of conscience I can't say.
But I CAN say that those mysterious calls all but disappeared after halftime and the game was officiated very fairly from that point on.

If any of the the suspicions about letting the Giants win are true to any extent, I can only say "Thank You" to whomever it was who decided that integrity was more important than storybook endings and put a stop to it.
It's almost as if the refs had been told to make a few calls go NYG's way, but the refs effed up, by making those calls way too obvious.

Instead, Goodell should have told the refs specifically what to call... such as: a false start (or holding) on the first play of every Steelers possession. Starting a drive 1st & 15 (or 1st & 20) makes for a long day... and far less obvious than ANY of the calls that the refs actually made.

Ergo, at half-time, I am sure that Goodell screamed, "You guys are maming it so OBVIOUS!!! No more penalties on PITT... none. You idiots... why did I re-instate you!?!"

All joking aside, you said the key word: integrity.

Bad calls are bad call... but, if Goodell actually told the refs to make those calls... wow!!!... that would ruin the NFL for me.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
It's almost as if the refs had been told to make a few calls go NYG's way, but the refs effed up, by making those calls way too obvious.

Instead, Goodell should have told the refs specifically what to call... such as: a false start (or holding) on the first play of every Steelers possession. Starting a drive 1st & 15 (or 1st & 20) makes for a long day... and far less obvious than ANY of the calls that the refs actually made.

Ergo, at half-time, I am sure that Goodell screamed, "You guys are maming it so OBVIOUS!!! No more penalties on PITT... none. You idiots... why did I re-instate you!?!"

All joking aside, you said the key word: integrity.

Bad calls are bad call... but, if Goodell actually told the refs to make those calls... wow!!!... that would ruin the NFL for me.

I'm a big believer in Integrity.

I always tell people that they can take my house, my money, my freedom and even my life, but they can't take my integrity unless I give it to them -- and it's not for sale or trade.

The way I look at it is that if you give up your integrity, you pretty much give up any reason for drawing breath on this planet.
teegre (11-10-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I'm surprised nobody has commented on THIS farce...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/pittsburgh...wn-1-yd-run-TD

This was right after Clark's asinine "Blow to the Head" Call on Cruz. Even the Giants announcers weren't sure he got in.

Goodell and his fuckbrain Zebra crew put a real damper on what was a really great game between two class organizations. I hold nothing against the Giants, though. It wasn't their fault.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
IowaSteeler927
Head Coach

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 1,724 Times in 805 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegre View Post
NOTICE: This editorial was sent in for publishing earlier this week. However, due to server issues, publishing was delayed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even Vince McMahon Turned His Head in Shame
by Tiger Rowan

Right around half-time of the Steelers-Giants game, my brother walked out of the room… and did not return. My eighteen-month old daughter sought out her uncle, calling down the hallway, "Uncle… where are you?" When she found him, her cheers of "Touchdown!!!" brought a momentary smile to his face. I followed suit, by asking him if he was going to return to watch the game. After a considerable amount of time, he replied, "I just do not know."

Mr. Goodell, you may not know my brother, but he is the most patient, calm, and soft-spoken person in the world. I takes a lot, and I mean a LOT, to get his feathers ruffled; Gandhi is more of a hot head than he is. But, to put it simply, the abomination that he witnessed during the Steelers-Giants game was enough to evoke a reaction from him (albeit, a calm & passive one).

For those of you who missed it, it appeared to many (not just Steelers fans) that the referees were overtly trying to give some sort of advantage to the Giants. Sure, we all feel sorry for the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Absolutely, a small part of all of us (even Steelers fans) would have liked to have seen the New York fans have a three-hour break from their misery. And, positively, a win would have been a story-book ending to their week. But, not at the expense of the integrity of the game.

Any fan hates for their team to lose, but losses happen. Sometimes, an opponent simply outplays your team, and we can all accept those types of losses. But, when the referees are making calls that are blatantly one-sided, it calls into question whether any of what we are seeing is truly "real"… or if it is all merely scripted. And, once those types of "questions of doubt" creep into a fan-base's heads, it is very difficult to get those thoughts back out. Just ask David Stern.

Before anyone starts to tell me to stop whining and/or that "every team gets bad calls", I will readily agree: usually the bad calls even out. But, in this game, this was not the case in the least; the calls were obviously being called in New York's favor. Allow me to describe the most glaring of them.

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1021.html
Yeah I definitely yelled and threw my hat across the room after that 41yd phantom pass interference call where Lewis was textbook in playing the ball and batting it away. After that Personal Foul Hit to the Head call I had steam blowing out of my ears. That was absolutely pathetic and Victor Cruz should be fined for the acting job he did to help get that call.
IowaSteeler927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
beer72
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3508

Whats really sad is the news media hasn't said anything about!
beer72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaSteeler927 View Post
Yeah I definitely yelled and threw my hat across the room after that 41yd phantom pass interference call where Lewis was textbook in playing the ball and batting it away. After that Personal Foul Hit to the Head call I had steam blowing out of my ears. That was absolutely pathetic and Victor Cruz should be fined for the acting job he did to help get that call.
Do we think Sanders was faking his injury? You know mocking Cruz on his so called injury?

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote