Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #31
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936
Default Re: Dwyer or Redman

Redman had the better game, more recently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I loved the way Dwyer played those two games, but how can you bench Isaac after the game he just had?
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #32
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,264 Times in 3,960 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Redman had the better game, more recently. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I loved the way Dwyer played those two games, but how can you bench Isaac after the game he just had?
I don't think you can, not for Dwyer anyway.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #33
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,499 Times in 7,394 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Interestingly, that is what people were saying after Dwyer 's back-to-back 100 yard games: how do you bench him???

It's a nice "problem" to have.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 PM   #34
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokki View Post
I found a pic of Dwyer, just chilling.

Gotta say, Dwyer seems to have a hot hand at the moment and he certainly is fun to watch.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:55 PM   #35
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Steelers sticking with the hot hand

11/9/2012
By F. Dale Lolley

PITTSBURGH – With the possibility of having more than one lead runner to hand the ball off to in Monday night’s game at Heinz Field against the Kansas City Chiefs, Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said he’s going to stick with the “hot hand.”

The question begs to be asked, is the hot hand Jonathan Dwyer, who had backto- back 100-yard games before sitting out last week’s win against the Giants; or Isaac Redman, who rushed for a career-high 147 yards in the win at New York?

The answer might be none of the above.

The hot hand for the Steelers (5-3) right now might just be the offensive line, which has paved the way for three consecutive individual 100yard rushing games.

“It’s awesome to watch those guys,” said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel. “They’ve been wanting to run the ball for a long time. They’re doing a great job feeding off each other, getting down and dirty, moving piles. They get hyped up on that. Hopefully we’ll continue to do that. It opens everything up. It opens the passing game up, play-action, it helps everything.”It has certainly been a big change from the first portion of the season. After averaging just 65 yards rushing in their first three games, the Steelers have gained 155 yards per game on the ground in their last three.

First-year offensive coordinator Todd Haley has helped accomplish this by trimming the playbook.

“Instead of having – this is just a number – 50 runs, we said let’s just do 25 that we know well and do them well,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “We did the same thing in the pass game with formations and motions and everything else.”

Instead of having to focus so much on what their assignments are on each particular play, the Steelers’ offensive linemen have been able to concentrate on dominating the man in front of them.

The results have been easy to see.

With less to think about, the linemen – particularly guard Willie Colon – have been able to let their natural aggressiveness show.

In fact, the turning point might have come in the second quarter of a 24-17 win at Cincinnati. Colon not only blocked Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burfict, he buried him about 10 yards downfield, starting a fight. Since then, the Steelers have not only won at the line of scrimmage, they have dominated it.

“It turned before that, but that made it even more of a (statement) – keep it going,” said Dwyer. “Everybody got fired up, not just the guys on the field, but on the sidelines and the defense. It just sent a message, ‘That’s how we play.’” Because of that improved offensive line play, it might not matter who the Steelers play at running back moving forward, Dwyer, Redman or Rashard Mendenhall, who is working his way back into the lineup after sitting out the past three games with a sore Achilles’ tendon.

“ Fortunately, we have three guys who are capable of carrying the load,” said Redman. “Dwyer stepped up for two weeks. Then, I stepped up last week. It’s just scary to see what we can do when all three of us are able to carry the ball at the same time.”

It all starts up front.

Haley’s use of a true fullback – something shunned by former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians – has helped.

First-year fullback Will Johnson has gotten better each week and has become a big part of the team’s success in the running game.

“He’s basically changed our running game,” said Dwyer. “ He’s made it a better running game. He’s made a difference. He’s physical, very athletic for a fullback. He’s one of the most athletic fullbacks I’ve ever seen. It shows in his play.”

Johnson’s physical ability is a perfect complement to an aggressive offensive line. “Each week they’re getting better,” Redman said. “(Maurkice) Pouncey and Willie Colon, they’re going right at guys, and you can see them tussling after plays. By the end of the game, we’re pounding people out, they’re tired of getting hit and tired of tackling our running backs.”

Odds and end zones: Mendenhall was a limited participant in practice Thursday, but Dwyer (quad) practiced fully for the second consecutive day. Running back/return man Chris Rainey (ribs) also was a full participant Thursday. Right tackle Marcus Gilbert (ankle) was limited, and wide receiver Antonio Brown (ankle), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and linebacker Stevenson Sylvester (hamstring) did not practice.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...09-steelers-rb
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #36
former RB
Banned

Member Number: 20530

I like Dwyer and Redman in the same backfield.

I really excited to see that Taiwan Jones is going to get his first start for the Raiders this week against the Ravens. I was hoping soooo bad that the Steelers would deal for him at draft time.

You are going to see another Marcus Allen type RB in Taiwan. Taiwan will be better than Dorsett.
former RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #37
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,474 Times in 1,563 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post

I really excited to see that Taiwan Jones is going to get his first start for the Raiders this week against the Ravens. I was hoping soooo bad that the Steelers would deal for him at draft time.

You are going to see another Marcus Allen type RB in Taiwan. Taiwan will be better than Dorsett.
You've been talking up Taiwan for a while now...hopefully he'll turn out good.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by former RB View Post

Taiwan Jones has fumbling issues and is injury-prone. he's definitely fast, but no way will he ever be better than Tony Dorsett.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

I mix it up a little and give them both some carries. Keep them both fresh and then let them batter the KC defense in the 2nd half. Same formula for Balt,
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #40
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I'd go with Jonathan Redmendhall.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote