Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 915
Default BYRON: Let's Talk Negative Plays by the Numbers

OK...so I have read all of the football experts on here talk about Byron's long delivery and how it is conducive to turnovers and fumbles. How many fumbles did he have last night in the rain with no reps? How many interceptions? How many sacks? What was that number again? ZERO, ZERO, ZERO.

OK... moving on...

You say that was just one half of football. Well Byron was a starter for several years and his throwing motion and mobility has been the same since college when he was drafted #7 overall. Let's look at his career stats for negative plays. And to make it more applicable, let's compare them to Ben's (No, I'm not saying that Byron's overall play should be compared with Ben's, but let's compare negative plays).

OK... So Byron has fewer Int's, Fumbles for Loss and Sacks than Ben does. Overall, almost 13% of Ben's attempts end up in a negative play and only 9% for Byron. So, instead of everybody parroting the TV analyst about his throwing motion, look instead to the FACTS. Overall, he takes care of the ball much better than Ben does, statistically speaking.

What we will miss is the playmaking ability of Ben, but don't expect Leftwich to go out and lose the game and have a bunch of sack-strips, because the numbers aren't there to back it up. With ball control and Byron getting a full week of reps, I expect us to rise to the occasion and get the job done against the Ratbirds.

Next man up! Whoever wants to jump ship is not on my ship to begin with.
desertsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to desertsteel For This Useful Post:
maddog78 (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,851 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: BYRON: Let's Talk Negative Plays by the Numbers

This is the last Leftwich thread i'm going to allow, simply because it's rational and informative. Lefty is a good quarterback, and if he's given time to prepare, he'll do his job nicely. Please keep in mind that BOTH Ben AND Byron only completed 50% of their passes. If you're going to bash Byron for his poor play with absolutely NO preparation, you damn well better look at Ben too. Not saying that should be the case, just giving Lefty credit where it's due.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
This is the last Leftwich thread i'm going to allow, simply because it's rational and informative. Lefty is a good quarterback, and if he's given time to prepare, he'll do his job nicely. Please keep in mind that BOTH Ben AND Byron only completed 50% of their passes. If you're going to bash Byron for his poor play with absolutely NO preparation, you damn well better look at Ben too. Not saying that should be the case, just giving Lefty credit where it's due.
Thanks. I was going to post it in one of the existing threads but I didn't want the numbers to get lost among the minutia.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Thanks. I was going to post it in one of the existing threads but I didn't want the numbers to get lost among the minutia.
This will also keep the inevitable "YOU QUOTED STATS???" war in it's own thread.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Plus those were pretty bad conditions to come into last night even for someone prepared (see Ben's stats), much less someone who hasn't played in 2 years. BL is a MUCH better QB than Dennis Dixon. He was also better than Cassel last night.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #6
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts

Old 11-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
desertsteel
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Yes... let's base everything off of a John Gruden or Chris Collinsworth one-liner. Sacks, Fumbles and INT's are stats that matter. They translate into losses. Especially for someone who is being asked to game-manage like Byron will.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,309 Times in 584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Yes... let's base everything off of a John Gruden or Chris Collinsworth one-liner. Sacks, Fumbles and INT's are stats that matter. They translate into losses. Especially for someone who is being asked to game-manage like Byron will.
Stats only tell you what happened in the past -- they don't predict the future.

Here's a stat for everyone: Leftwich completed 7 passes last night, WHICH EQUALS THE AMOUNT OF PASS ATTEMPTS HE'S HAD IN THE TWO YEARS PRIOR TO LAST NIGHT'S GAME!

So how in God's name can anyone apply statistics to a guy who has thrown all of seven passes in two years and has thrown a grand total of fifty passes in a Steeler uniform (including last night's game) since 2008? The only consistent set of numbers that could possibly apply to Leftwich are at least five years old and those numbers are supposed to mean something?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,226 Times in 1,851 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Stats only tell you what happened in the past -- they don't predict the future.

Here's a stat for everyone: Leftwich completed 7 passes last night, WHICH EQUALS THE AMOUNT OF PASS ATTEMPTS HE'S HAD IN THE TWO YEARS PRIOR TO LAST NIGHT'S GAME!

So how in God's name can anyone apply statistics to a guy who has thrown all of seven passes in two years and has thrown a grand total of fifty passes in a Steeler uniform (including last night's game) since 2008? The only consistent set of numbers that could possibly apply to Leftwich are at least five years old and those numbers are supposed to mean something?
Preseason week one: 3/5 for 14 yards and a touchdown.
Preseason week three: 5/8 for 105 yards and two touchdowns.

8/13 for 119 yards and three touchdowns in limited play this preseason. He came in last night and finished the game with the EXACT SAME completion percentage as Ben with NO warm up and preparation. Give credit where it's due. He's had some unlucky injuries in recent years, but he's a great QB. Two years with "seven" passes and he STILL did almost equally as good as Ben did with NO preparation in AWFUL weather.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
jiminpa
Team Captain

Member Number: 20511

I'm more concerned with his fragility than his delivery. His delivery makes his passes predictable. It also gives him a longer range than Ben, whose range is great. We have the best receiving corps in the NFL, and a significant running game. I'm betting that Haley can build a game plan for Byron. I do think the FO should consider finding a better backup for Ben next year though. They probably won't, and that's okay too.
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote