Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #41
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstorm05 View Post
For all the guys hating on our D currently, they really are coming together. Yes, there will always be yardage gained against them. What exactly do you expect to happen? It's a teams job to look for and exploit a weakness to try and win.

If the Chiefs fail to run left, should they simply sit down and sob for the next 50 minutes? They go to where it's working. That spot will be different for different opponents. Despite it all, the D held to 10 points. yes, the D has had shit performances before. Yes, it looked like they might pack it in last night...but then they sucked it up and went to work. Come back and hate when we actually lose, though, or at least give up 21+ points.
Don't confuse those of us that believe the #1 ranking is a tad inflated with those that are "hating on our D." I agree that we are looking better, but the true test will be against the QBs that really stand in our way of title #7....not guys like RG3, Vick, Cassel, and Dalton.

Eli isn't Eli from last year, so in my mind that win doesn't tell me a lot. Games against Flacco will. If we make the playoffs, wins against Brady and/or Peyton will.
SteeleReign is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #42
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,526 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

jamaal charles is no freakin joke, he can hang up 100 yds on many defenses. you can't always stop great players from getting their yards
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
Rotorhead
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 703

Yeah, cause Flacco is "elite" . . .
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #44
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Those who are questioning the number one ranking need to remember that you're not comparing it to past Steelers defenses, but rather the defenses of other teams in 2012. Defense is going out of style. More points have been scored in the first 10 weeks than ever.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steelersfan87 For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (11-13-2012), zcoop (11-22-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #45
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492

Although the stats say our defense is #1, I don't know how someone could say with a straight face that our defense as a whole is better than the Bears or the Texans right now.
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

I will not apologize.

I am happy with the win but I will not let that sway my opinion of the direction this defense has gone this year. I would be somewhat impressed if this defense played that way last night against a below average offense, but it did not. It did it against the worst offense in the league.

It did it against an offense that would struggle to score points in the arena football league. It did it against an offense that turned the ball over more than 4x a game before last night, and the only turnover the defense could force came in over time. The game never even should have made it to overtime, but our 4th quarter defense showed up late in the game again.

You guys might think the defense showed up and played lights out, and that's okay. I think they did exactly what an average to below average defense would do against the worst offense in the league on a rainy night that receivers struggled to catch the ball.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipps83 For This Useful Post:
Pirate (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #47
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,572 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I will not apologize.

I am happy with the win but I will not let that sway my opinion of the direction this defense has gone this year. I would be somewhat impressed if this defense played that way last night against a below average offense, but it did not. It did it against the worst offense in the league.

It did it against an offense that would struggle to score points in the arena football league. It did it against an offense that turned the ball over more than 4x a game before last night, and the only turnover the defense could force came in over time. The game never even should have made it to overtime, but our 4th quarter defense showed up late in the game again.

You guys might think the defense showed up and played lights out, and that's okay. I think they did exactly what an average to below average defense would do against the worst offense in the league on a rainy night that receivers struggled to catch the ball.
Huh? The offense put up SIXTEEN points and you're bitching at the defense? The offense deserves more shit than the defense! Surely. The only reason i'm NOT bitching about it is because Ben went out early in the second half. The DEFENSE took over from that point and put the game away. They made BIG PLAYS when they NEEDED to, and if you can't you see that, there's no point in me even trying to argue.

I made the mistake of believing for a second that this game would be a blowout, overlooking past history: The Steelers, even under Cowher, played down to the level of lesser opponents. This includes the defense. ESPECIALLY the defense. Any given Sunday. You see the worst team in the NFL and the Steelers see a threat in the way of a Super Bowl championship run. The defense flat out won the game last night in relief of Ben Roethlisberger, and they'll probably need to do the same thing next week.

No one is asking you to apologize, but when the DEFENSE makes a game-winning play, credit is due. The offense didn't win the game, the defense DID.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #48
lipps83
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 17725

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Huh? The offense put up SIXTEEN points and you're bitching at the defense? The offense deserves more shit than the defense! Surely. The only reason i'm NOT bitching about it is because Ben went out early in the second half. The DEFENSE took over from that point and put the game away. They made BIG PLAYS when they NEEDED to, and if you can't you see that, there's no point in me even trying to argue.

I made the mistake of believing for a second that this game would be a blowout, overlooking past history: The Steelers, even under Cowher, played down to the level of lesser opponents. This includes the defense. ESPECIALLY the defense. Any given Sunday. You see the worst team in the NFL and the Steelers see a threat in the way of a Super Bowl championship run. The defense flat out won the game last night in relief of Ben Roethlisberger, and they'll probably need to do the same thing next week.

No one is asking you to apologize, but when the DEFENSE makes a game-winning play, credit is due. The offense didn't win the game, the defense DID.
I never said the defense isn't the reason they won the game, they clearly are and they did play great at times in the game, especially after Ben went down. That is my point, it shouldn't take your QB to go down to change the way you play defense and make you more aggressive.

I also am not going to overlook the reason why Timmons was there to make the pick in overtime to seal the game.

It is because of yet another, 4th quarter collapse where Steve Young and the 49'ers, I mean, Matt Cassell and the Chiefs drove down the field to tie the game at the end of regulation.
lipps83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #49
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
Don't confuse those of us that believe the #1 ranking is a tad inflated with those that are "hating on our D." I agree that we are looking better, but the true test will be against the QBs that really stand in our way of title #7....not guys like RG3, Vick, Cassel, and Dalton.

Eli isn't Eli from last year, so in my mind that win doesn't tell me a lot. Games against Flacco will. If we make the playoffs, wins against Brady and/or Peyton will.
Eli is top notch, we beat one of the best. He is as much " money " as Peyton or Brady.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #50
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,180 Times in 2,659 Posts

its a shame the nfl wont schedule the steelers to play manning, brady, brees, and rodgers 2X/year so the steelers could try to justify their annual ranking of the #1 defense, to the hypercritical fans.

the league should also change how it ranks the #1 offenses and defenses, because the hypercritical fans just cant buy into the steelers #1 ranking.

it is what it is (and has been) and the league isnt changing it for nobody

also i dont buy into all the garbage rhetoric that we have only faced 1 good (or "great" ) qb this season.

at one point, palmer, hasselbeck and vick were all considered some of the top qb's in the game, and believe it or not, they are still allowed to play decent no matter what defense they face.

everybody wants to poo-poo on RGIII and eli, but RG led the league in comp % until he faced us and eli was the leagues passing yardage leader being talked about as a HOF shoo-in until he faced us.

matt cassell was amongst the league leaders and in the league MVP discussion just 3 years ago.

sure these guys may not be currently "great" but they arent the slapdick scrubs everyone is making them out to be. put any of them on a good team, and things would turn around.

make no mistake, the cheifs arent as horrible as their record would suggest. they do got some pretty damn good players. they just dont have a HC.

mark sanchez is about the only bad-horrible qb we have faced this year. all the others are capable of leading teams to wins on any given sunday, even if their careers are winding down (or just beginning).