Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Terminator
Team Captain

Member Number: 24492
Default What is the extent of Troy's calf injury?

One thing that has bothered me about Troy Polamalu's calf injury almost as much as seeing him sit on the sidelines is that very little information, if at all, seems to have ever been released about him.

From what I know, he suffered a calf injury last year, re-aggravated it this year in the Broncos game, went out, came back for the Eagles game, and re-aggravated it again. He hasn't been on the field since.

Is this some type of tear with the actual calf muscle, or is it just sore and he needs half a season to rest?

I read last week that he would return to limited practice and may be good to go for the Ravens game, but now he is listed as doubtful, yet again.

What the hell exactly is wrong with him and are we even going to see him this season?
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #2
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,642 Posts
My Mood: Fine
Default Re: What is the extent of Troy's calf injury?

I wouldn't count on him at all anymore, all we can do is "Light a candle and pray" as Tomlin says

To what degree he would even be a factor - who the heck knows. This situation might just be a blessing in disguise. Having to win without him would have had to come sooner or later

Insanity or In-sahn-naha-teh
is what the the Iro-quois used
meaning "severe personnel problems".
Look it up. No? No, I'm right.
Agree to disagree.
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,644 Posts

the calf is done but the baby goat should be fine.

mike tomlin wont even address it other than listing him as doubtful or out at the beginning of each press conference, and troy defers all questions on his calf to tomlin.

polamalu could very well be this years aaron smith or rod woodson (2 players/leaders kept on the roster for a potential SB run) knowing all along that we had a capable back up in mundy and will allen already on the roster. no sense in IRing troy if theres potential for a recovery.

i think the extent of the injury is known (worst case scenario likely) but it is just being kept under wraps... literally and figuratively.

nothing gained but sheer panic in announcing that it may possibly be season ending.

weve seen that highschool QB tebow complete 10 passes and win a playoff game so we know that miracles do happen and that the Lord works in mysterious ways.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
Terminator
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
the calf is done but the baby goat should be fine.

mike tomlin wont even address it other than listing him as doubtful or out at the beginning of each press conference, and troy defers all questions on his calf to tomlin.

polamalu could very well be this years aaron smith or rod woodson (2 players/leaders kept on the roster for a potential SB run) knowing all along that we had a capable back up in mundy and will allen already on the roster. no sense in IRing troy if theres potential for a recovery.

i think the extent of the injury is known (worst case scenario likely) but it is just being kept under wraps... literally and figuratively.

nothing gained but sheer panic in announcing that it may possibly be season ending.

weve seen that highschool QB tebow complete 10 passes and win a playoff game so we know that miracles do happen and that the Lord works in mysterious ways.

Well put, thanks Tony.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts

The party line is 6 weeks recovery from the Philly game which would be this Sunday

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2CA6hhmpJ

Based on how long he has been out my guess is Troy might return for the San Diego or Dallas game

Grade 1:
The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:
There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-c...s#.UKMJG2fNm4Y

Season either craters by mid-December or nobody wants to play this team at full strength in January
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlanta Dan For This Useful Post:
Terminator (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Terminator
Team Captain

Thanks for the info, very informative.

Based on that, do you think Troy has even started working out/exercising again?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,679 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Thanks for the info, very informative.

Based on that, do you think Troy has even started working out/exercising again?
Tomlin claimed Troy "practiced" last week but apparently was less upbeat today

IMO this is an aging team that after last night is highly likely to make the playoffs but highly unlikely to win the division - under that scenario you heal up by resting Ben and Troy as long as possible and hope you are locked and loaded to win 3 road playoff games in January to get to New Orleans
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,500 Times in 2,337 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The party line is 6 weeks recovery from the Philly game which would be this Sunday

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#axzz2CA6hhmpJ

Based on how long he has been out my guess is Troy might return for the San Diego or Dallas game

Grade 1:
The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:
There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-c...s#.UKMJG2fNm4Y

Season either craters by mid-December or nobody wants to play this team at full strength in January
prolly grade 2, he would have had surgery by now if it was a 3 (and wouldn't be able to even walk around on the sidelines without crutches)
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote