Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
Darkstorm05
Team Captain

Member Number: 19897
Default Re: Batch over Leftwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
And who did the Steelers draft in the 3rd round?Spence doesn't seem to be doing much so Cousins wouldn't have been a waste.
No QB drafted this year would be higher than 3rd on the chart. Hell, Ben was riding pine his rookie year, and only saw the field when Batch and Maddox both went out. If we'd had picked up a QB, we'd have cut Batch and Lefty would be starting Sunday either way.
Darkstorm05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,075 Times in 512 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by casteeler View Post
And who did the Steelers draft in the 3rd round?Spence doesn't seem to be doing much so Cousins wouldn't have been a waste.
Spence will be a much greater asset to this team in the long run than Cousins would have been and I really don't see how anyone can believe otherwise.

Hindsight is 20/20, if Ben didn't get injured so seriously Cousins would never play and would have been viewed as a huge waste of a pick in the third round. A new backup QB isn't the worst idea but taking one that early right now is a huge mistake.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Batch gets a lot of love, but frankly I'm not sure why. He had a decent game last year vs. a terrible Rams team.

In 2010, against Tennessee, he was 5-11 for 25 yards. Against Tampa, 12-17 for 186 yards, 2 INT, 2 TD, 1 INT that bounced to the receiver for a TD. Against Baltimore, 12-21 for 141 yards and an INT.

After that, you have to go back to 2007 for his last start, when he was average against Baltimore. He had a couple of really good starts in 2006, but that's a long time ago. He's 38 in less than a month and really has no arm strength. We don't need him throwing up ducks with Ed Reed lurking.

I think a healthy Leftwich with a week to prepare will be fine. He threw a couple of really nice balls to Cotch and Sanders the other night and showed his cannon on the deep overthrow to Wallace. He was ice cold coming into the game but after an 0-3 start, finished 7-11.

I trust Haley to design a game plan to suit his skill set.
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #24
maddog78
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
i'm surprised this guy's been in the NFL for 10+ years and still hasn't improved his throwing mechanics, i guess he's a career backup for a reason
Isn't Batch a career backup?
maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,046 Times in 3,365 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog78 View Post
Isn't Batch a career backup?
he would be starter caliber if he wasn't so injury prone. he had some good years in detroit but couldn't ever finish a season without being on the injured list.

leftwich has more flaws to his game imo. he can throw one hell of a long ball though

with that said, as a fan i'll support leftwich and hope he brings his A game against the ravens, we need him to.

Last edited by Fire Arians; 11-13-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #26
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Id rather see Hampton as our signal caller, based upon what I saw from leftwitch Monday night.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:56 AM   #27
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,113 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Again...everyone who dogs Leftwich for his play last night needs to compare his play with Ben's. They both finished with 50% completion percentage, and both had nearly the same amount of yardage, too. Saying that Leftwich sucked is basically saying that Ben sucks, and that Charlie should start ahead of both of them. Give Lefty an entire week to ready himself and he'll burn the Ravens next week. I don't think it's a long-term solution, but he'll be an excellent backup.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #28
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,789 Times in 5,671 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Leftwich Worst Option For Steelers Against Ravens

Nov 13th, 2012 by Craig Gottschalk

Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich winds up to throw the football, and in the time that it takes you to read the entirety of this sentence, he will have finally released the football. Even for a fast reader, the length of that sentence would guarantee trouble for any quarterback.

A 3 step vs 5 step vs shotgun vs 7 step drop is one thing when it comes to examining the release of a football from the time the ball is snapped. Those kinds of patterns just determine the overall time receivers have to run their own patterns. The factor that doesn’t change in any of those is that whenever the quarterback decides that he needs to throw the football, he needs to do it quickly. This has always been a problem for Byron Leftwich. In fact, you could say it is the sole reason why he will only ever be a backup quarterback the rest of his career. He certainly still has the arm strength to throw the ball 50 yards down the field. But like I Tweeted during the game last night – it just takes him forever to deliver the football.

Mike Tomlin reported on Tuesday that Ben Roethlisberger is listed as ‘questionable’ for Sunday night’s game against the Ravens. Most doctors will tell you that an injury such as this one - sternoclavicular injury (that’s a 80 point word score for those playing at home) – takes about three to six weeks to fully heal. It’s a very painful injury to start out, and it takes about three weeks just for the pain to subside. I don’t know about you, but I don’t think I want Ben taking any brutal hits from that Ravens defense this Sunday. I’m sure Tomlin is listing him as questionable by playing the ‘injury game’ with his opponents. In reality he is more than likely ‘doubtful.’

So that leaves either Leftwich or Charlie Batch to take the snaps under center. Batch is clearly the superior in this situation. Well, he’ll always be the superior option when it comes to Leftwich. Todd Haley’s offense is a quick throw kind of offense. There are many screens and crossing routes that are dependent on 3 step (hell even 1 step) drops that need the ball out very quickly. Again, Leftwich is not conducive for this kind of offensive scheme. This was very apparent last night, especially when Leftwich was asked to throw a quick screen out to the wide out. Those types of plays require the quickest of releases because the offense is trying to catch the defensive backs off guard or take advantage of a large cushioned coverage. That these screens gain even 5 or 6 yards is greatly attributed to the fact that Ben gets rid of the ball quickly. Watching Leftwich execute these kinds of screens or slants was downright painful – and it sure seemed painful for those receivers getting hit immediately. The defensive backs and linebackers had an easy time reading Leftwich’s delivery and closed quickly on whomever caught the ball.

The same results are likely if Lefwich is used against the Ravens. Compounding the problem even more for the Steelers offense is the fast and physical pass rush of the Ravens. Ray Lewis may be out. And, in case you couldn’t hear Dan Dierdorf having a minor T-Sizzle’gasm during his first game back a few weeks ago – Suggs will be back in full force to wreak havoc in the Pittsburgh backfield. Did you see Leftwich’s first pass play on Monday night? It didn’t go very well for him as KC got penetration and caused a lineman to roll under his legs.

I thought for a few moments that Leftwich would leave the game with some type of neck or head injury, but he stuck it out. There will be plenty of that when it comes to the Ravens D. Guys like Ngata and Suggs have a habit of giving the Steelers offensive line problems over the course of an entire game.

Batch may be a little older and slower with the footwork, but he has a quicker release and can still throw the ball down the field when the opportunity arrises. He’s a proven effective game manager, and will give the Steelers their best chance of having solid offensive production against the Ravens. That’s all we can ask for at this point. If Ben sits for the next couple of weeks to heal, maybe he’ll be ready by the second game against the Ravens in three weeks. I like our chances better then than now. Batch might just squeak out a win.

Leftwich? It’s going to be a long day for that offense, and an even longer day for the Steelers D because they are going to be on the field for a long time if he starts.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/11/13...gainst-ravens/
Old 11-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #29
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky
Question Re: Batch over Leftwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayz101 View Post
Again...everyone who dogs Leftwich for his play last night needs to compare his play with Ben's. They both finished with 50% completion percentage, and both had nearly the same amount of yardage, too. Saying that Leftwich sucked is basically saying that Ben sucks, and that Charlie should start ahead of both of them. Give Lefty an entire week to ready himself and he'll burn the Ravens next week. I don't think it's a long-term solution, but he'll be an excellent backup.
I hope ur right Bayz.....

But Ben did suck Monday night. He wasn't playing smart at all. Looking a bit desperate and forcing a lot of balls. Just my opinion. I feel it was his worst game of the season and it reminded me of much darker times under Arians....... ( Denver game)
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #30
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,997 Times in 2,113 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
I hope ur right Bayz.....

But Ben did suck Monday night. He wasn't playing smart at all. Looking a bit desperate and forcing a lot of balls. Just my opinion. I feel it was his worst game of the season and it reminded me of much darker times under Arians....... ( Denver game)
I agree. I also believe the weather probably attributed to the bad play.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote