Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 11-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #61
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,780 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: #1 Defense By Smoke & Mirrors

This shit is still going on? You do realize that the Ravens beat these jumps by a whopping score of...wait for it...wait for it.................wait.................for....... ..........it.....................

9-6.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #62
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,097 Times in 3,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
So are you saying our D is better than it has Been for years?
i think what some people are saying is that our team's defense is more than just "smoke and mirrors".

of course, those saying that have a great organization that has fielded great teams, with great coaches, with a solid roster, PLUS a ton of history, on their side.

that is all.

Old 11-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #63
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

You do all realize that cassel was less than fifty percent throwing the ball for only 154 yards and that the Chiefs have the #3 rush offense in the league, even when teams know they cant pass. They ran foer well over 200 against the ratbirds.
Some people on here will look for any reason to bash our D and Lebeau, sheesh!
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #64
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

It absolutely helps, but so doesn't a lot of three and outs......

Lebeau Absolutely does adjust. Don't you notice that the defense gets better as the games go along. Esp. After the halftime ADJUSTMENTS.... Only thing our defense is lacking is turnovers and sacks. We are getting more pressure as the season progresses. We need a tad bit better reaction time or hand skills on defense cause we do drop about 2-3 interceptions per game. That is what's separating us from the being one of best and the worst in the turnover department. Just my opinion....

You must admit the defense is getting better as the season progresses...... No?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 AM   #65
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
So did the Giants receivers. And so did the Chiefs receivers. If receivers are afraid to go over the middle, they're not going to be as focused on catching the pass, and they're more likely to drop passes. And they have.
The biggest fear factor turn around game was the jets. After Sanchez got smashed he immediately went from having a decent game to being Mark Sanchez. I think it was Holmes too, that after getting derailed by Mundy, he started dropping balls like Mike Wallace. Clark had a few games this season in which he scared receivers into thinking twice creating dropped balls. It's worth the fifteen yard penalty..... Smash a receiver and ruin his mind state and confidence..... It's almost like having Revis out there after smashes like that, cause they don't produce shit afterwards. Clark is a shutdown safety...... Ha ha ha ha I love it and so don't you all.

I am a bit worried that Clark will get injured real bad though the way he uses his head and neck to tackle. He's been one of my favorite defensive players for a few years now, I think he has a tv career after he retires from the NFL, I just hope he don't have to retire before his production level decreases because of injuries.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #66
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
I will not apologize.

I am happy with the win but I will not let that sway my opinion of the direction this defense has gone this year. I would be somewhat impressed if this defense played that way last night against a below average offense, but it did not. It did it against the worst offense in the league.

It did it against an offense that would struggle to score points in the arena football league. It did it against an offense that turned the ball over more than 4x a game before last night, and the only turnover the defense could force came in over time. The game never even should have made it to overtime, but our 4th quarter defense showed up late in the game again.

You guys might think the defense showed up and played lights out, and that's okay. I think they did exactly what an average to below average defense would do against the worst offense in the league on a rainy night that receivers struggled to catch the ball.

Ur right we only got one turnover in the game. But you must remember that Cassell had a

Huge leash on him. The guy barely threw ten passes until the final drive in regulation. When he did finally start passing he fucked up and we intercepted it...... Plus we dropped two picks earlier in the night. Imagine if he were passing all night.....
Old 11-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #67
steelfury02
Wing Kong Exchange - CEO
Supporter

Member Number: 6076
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,910 Posts
My Mood: Fine

Millers the "shite" - I really enjoy your enthusiasm - as many know - I come on here to piss and moan, ride the wave of being a Steelers fan, but ultimately - am very passionate. I think this team has the makings of a SB caliber team the more I see them play from week to week.

Thank you to everyone pointing out the Ravens victory over the Chiefs - that is a reminder about "any given Sunday" and that this is the NFL. Let's give the D some credit - it took a lot of character for this team to pull out that OT victory, even after not getting first possession

As Woodley said on his FB page "A win is a win." and Tomlin: "We won't apologize for it."

Good teams win the games they should. Great teams develop through adversity. If we come out the other side with at least 1 Ravens victory without Ben - it is going to get really interesting for Steeler Nation

Look into my eyes
SF Haters
steelfury02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #68
SteeleReign
Team President

Member Number: 13943

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Eli is top notch, we beat one of the best. He is as much " money " as Peyton or Brady.
Sorry...you're wrong. Eli has been pedestrian at best this year.
SteeleReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #69
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
its a shame the nfl wont schedule the steelers to play manning, brady, brees, and rodgers 2X/year so the steelers could try to justify their annual ranking of the #1 defense, to the hypercritical fans.

the league should also change how it ranks the #1 offenses and defenses, because the hypercritical fans just cant buy into the steelers #1 ranking.

it is what it is (and has been) and the league isnt changing it for nobody

also i dont buy into all the garbage rhetoric that we have only faced 1 good (or "great" ) qb this season.

at one point, palmer, hasselbeck and vick were all considered some of the top qb's in the game, and believe it or not, they are still allowed to play decent no matter what defense they face.

everybody wants to poo-poo on RGIII and eli, but RG led the league in comp % until he faced us and eli was the leagues passing yardage leader being talked about as a HOF shoo-in until he faced us.

matt cassell was amongst the league leaders and in the league MVP discussion just 3 years ago.

sure these guys may not be currently "great" but they arent the slapdick scrubs everyone is making them out to be. put any of them on a good team, and things would turn around.

make no mistake, the cheifs arent as horrible as their record would suggest. they do got some pretty damn good players. they just dont have a HC.

mark sanchez is about the only bad-horrible qb we have faced this year. all the others are capable of leading teams to wins on any given sunday, even if their careers are winding down (or just beginning).
Relax man...you're taking this too personally. I'm not being "hypercritical" at all - just looking at the defense with some reservation. They have played well, but for the most part is the same defense as last year with a few changes - Farrior, Polamalu, etc. Last year's defense was not as good as it's defensive ranking, largely due to a soft QB schedule. To this point, I see no major improvements over last year, except for the improved play from Timmons & Lewis.

So, that being said, I'll let the upcoming games prove or disprove the #1 ranking they currently hold. Trust me, I hope they prove to be #1 all the way through the Super Bowl!!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 PM   #70
SteeleReign
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
It absolutely helps, but so doesn't a lot of three and outs......

Lebeau Absolutely does adjust. Don't you notice that the defense gets better as the games go along. Esp. After the halftime ADJUSTMENTS.... Only thing our defense is lacking is turnovers and sacks. We are getting more pressure as the season progresses. We need a tad bit better reaction time or hand skills on defense cause we do drop about 2-3 interceptions per game. That is what's separating us from the being one of best and the worst in the turnover department. Just my opinion....

You must admit the defense is getting better as the season progresses...... No?
Getting better for sure!!

#1 D in the league? Not sure....yet.