Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #41
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,043 Times in 4,579 Posts
Default Re: Batch over Leftwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsteel View Post
Exactly how is it costing us? Did we lost on Monday? Have we lost to the Ratbirds yet? When you have a franchise QB who still has 6-7 years left there is no point to keeping a young QB. You are better off with a veteran who knows the offense.
That's just the thing, though - this is a completely new offense to all three quarterbacks. I'm sure Byron and Charlie know this offense now, but if Jerrod was kept, he would have too. I'm not saying let's bring him on now, it'd be silly. But, keeping a younger guy that flashed in the preseason than a couple of aging veterans who don't have a lot left in the tank seemed like a better option.

No question I start Byron over Jerrod, but I would have liked them to keep him around as the long term backup to Ben. It's never a bad thing to have a young guy who's eager to show what he can do.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #42
Terminator
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 24492
Thanked 1,073 Times in 422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
I would give a heavy dose of running to the ravens so it doesn't fall on Lefty!!
Agreed. Cycle in Mendy, Dwyer, and Redman. Protect the ball. Run it straight up their ass until they are so tired and beat they can barely get in formation anymore.

Remember, Ngata and Reed are both nursing injuries, and could very well go down at any moment.
Terminator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #43
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,641 Times in 5,222 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by defence View Post
I would give a heavy dose of running to the ravens so it doesn't fall on Lefty!!
I believe that will undoubtedly be our game plan, especially since the Ravens are ranked only 26th in the NFL in run defense.

however, I suspect that the Ravens are well aware of that fact also and will load up against the run and dare Lefty to beat them with his arm.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #44
SteelersCanada
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24400
Thanked 11,043 Times in 4,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I believe that will undoubtedly be our game plan, especially since the Ravens are ranked only 26th in the NFL in run defense.

however, I suspect that the Ravens are well aware of that fact also and will load up against the run and dare Lefty to beat them with his arm.
Yup. If Wallace can get any separation from Smith - and I fully expect him to - Lefty can use that huge arm of his and hit him in stride. I mean, he overthrew Wallace at full speed - how many guys can do that? If he can get Wallace accurately, this could potentially be a big game for Mikey.

Of course, this all relies on the fact that we can run it effectively and force them to respect our running game so we can work off play action.
SteelersCanada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #45
Kanata-Steeler
Team President

Member Number: 15552

Lefty can be the The Pillsbury Dough Boy at times, He can NOT take hits like Batch. Then again, Batch is getting older, whoopee, aren't we all. But Batch has always been inherently tough, always.
Batch reminds of "Get Smart" -He instantly gets up after every hit. :)
It's all good, we got them both.
:)
Kanata-Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #46
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersCanada View Post
That's just the thing, though - this is a completely new offense to all three quarterbacks. I'm sure Byron and Charlie know this offense now, but if Jerrod was kept, he would have too. I'm not saying let's bring him on now, it'd be silly. But, keeping a younger guy that flashed in the preseason than a couple of aging veterans who don't have a lot left in the tank seemed like a better option.

No question I start Byron over Jerrod, but I would have liked them to keep him around as the long term backup to Ben. It's never a bad thing to have a young guy who's eager to show what he can do.
What did Johnson flash in the preseason? The same people fawned over Dixons preseason exploits against 3rd stringers and the cut list. Having Johnson on the roster now would be meaningless.
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #47
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Apparently the rest of the NFL doesn't think Johnson is worthy if a roster spot either, he's playing in the UFL
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote